1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

American BoM Fantasy Football League

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, you got the scoring correct for my league. Neither Ward nor Miller scored a TD last night, and I ended up losing 99-97. Damn it! I hate when I lose by a little bit, as there's almost always a combination of players you could start where you would have been a winner (and there was a reasonable combination that I would have won with). I much prefer to lose by 30 so I can say I would have lost no matter what combination of players I put in.

There's something else I forgot about your league in my last post - you are required to start 3 WRs - so using 3 of your top 5 picks on WRs is much more justifiable than it is in my leage where we start 2 RBs, 2WRs, and have a flex position. I was thinking that I'd always rather start a 3rd RB over a 3rd WR, but in your league you actually have to start 3 WRs whether you want to or not, so I rescind my previous comment.

If it makes you feel any better, I would definitely have started Edwards over Schaub, simply based on who they were playing. Fantasy football is an inexact science. Luck plays some role in the final result. You can maximize your chances of winning any given week by making shrewd lineup decisions, but sometimes the unexpected happens. The other thing is sometimes you can make all the right calls, but everyone on your opponents team goes off, and you get a 150 point can of whoop ass dropped on you. There's nothing you can do about that either.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Gah! I JUST missed getting Deuce McAllister off waivers; he could of been a savior.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Lucky week! I won despite my starting QB (Edwards) being concussed in the first quarter (0 pts). Not only that, but I didn't check Saturday night to see if Westbrook would play, so I started Buckhalter over him (0 pts). I was saved by a couple Arizona Cards, my newfound joy in RB Tim Hightower (38 rush yards 2 TDs) and the steady Larry Fitzgerald (55 yards 2 TD).

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I took in the ass this past weekend because my opponent started both Hightower AND Fitzgerald. I managed a 94-94 tie, but stupid Hightower rushing for 2TDs. I mean wtf? When does that happen?

As it turns out, you didn't miss much of anything with not getting McAllister, considering he had 1 point using standard scoring.

My two leagues after 5 weeks: 4-1 in one of them, and 3-1-1 in the other.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm at a healthy 3-2 right now, which considering all the things that have gone wrong I'm happy with. Hightower was getting about 8 points a week entering this one (due to TD's) so he was certainly a HUGE acquisition as a stop-gag.

Good news is that whether or not Westbrook plays I have him and Buckhalter, so I'm covered as long as they announce his availability early enough. More good news is that Colston is back practicing, which probably will not bolster my receivers too much, it opens up one of mine for trade bait.

Do you have the same team (primarily) in both your leagues? Or are they completely different rosters?

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Aldeth,

I have you beat. Last week I started both Santana Moss and Larry Johnson. I got two big goose eggs and now I'm 3-2 also.

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Unless Jamal Lewis gets... um.... 46 points I will have W this week. Good recovery week for me and 4-2 looks a lot better than the near 2-3 I had just a bit ago.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    In my two leagues, I am now 5-1 in one of them, and 4-1-1 in the other. The rosters are nearly totally different. The only player in common is I picked up Bobby Engram as a reserve WR in both of them.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

When picking for any fantasy league you always want the snake option and the 11th or 12th pick; this provides you with a two good running backs. From there select the best WR and QB.

Defense should be the second to last pick followed by the kicker; these two positions do not truly make a differnece in fantasy football.

I played fantasy football for a while and I won the leagues I played in for 5 straight years. In fact I went undefeated twice I believe. With comparing how you scored vs. other teams in the league I usually still had the best W-L ratio. I was lucky a few times and other times I had a good draft.

I stopped playing because it got boring; in fact the very last time I played I left the computer randomly generate my whole team and I didn't swap anyone or anything throught the season and I still ended up winning the league. Either the other players really sucked at drafting or had bad luck with their players drafted.

Fantasy sports can be fun, but I prefer to do it the old fashion way, pen and paper.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Oh wow... lucky lucky lucky (I don't have the arrogance to say I won with skill).

Picked up two running backs (DeAngelo Williams and Warrick Dunn) off waivers to start for the bye weeked Hightower and Westbrook along with hurt Willie Parker. Dropped my only kicker to get Antonio Bryant to play at WR for the bye week DeSean Jackson and Fitzgerald (other WR was productionless Colston). Dropped bye week defense for the Miami defense... and somehow with 4 waiver wire guys and no kicker I pulled it off.

Getting blown out then Calvin Johnson had a 96 yard TD reception and caught a two point conversion (17 pts) that put me within 17. Then Antonio Bryant had a 50 yard or so TD to give me in striking distance, and I barely pulled it off... With a good score of 102.

Lots of tough decisions this week, will be fun.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I got screwed this week - I lost 130-115. Piss me off. That's the second time this year that I lost with the second highest points total for the week, and just got unlucky because I happened to play the one team that had more points.

Or - more likely - you play in an online league and had a high rate of owner-abandonment of their teams. That, or the people you play with are retarded. There's no way you can pick a team, never make a change, and win you league, unless the other owners are pretty much doing the same thing. While both of my leagues are online (one with nfl.com, the other is with Yahoo), I'm playing against people I know. One of the league is with people I work with, the other is with friends. I stopped playing in random leagues online years ago because 90% of owners abandon their teams, and you can easily win your league with minimal effort as long as you don't totally screw up the draft.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

That's exactly why I'm considering the low cost paid leagues. This year mine is doing pretty well, despite being a public league. 10 of the 12 owners have made moves (add/drop) within the past two weeks, and I believe only one of the remaining two has abandoned his team. In the past though, I've been in leagues with 5+ abandoned teams which really steals the fun out of the game. Last year I got into a draft the first week of July (awesome) which is before most potential abandoneers (lol) sign up... It also adds a really fun element to draft that far in advance.

I just defeated the top team in my league, creating a four way tie of 6-2 teams at the top. Of course, out of these teams mine seems to be the weakest, but 6-2 is 6-2.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Chicken - that's the one advantage to paid league IMO. People are less likely to abandon a league if they paid for the league, even if the cost is low (like say $20 or so). Both of my leagues are technically free, although Yahoo pretty much forces you to pay $9.95 for the stat tracker. If you don't you cannot see your scores in real time, and have to wait until Tuesday to find out if you won or not, and there's no fun in that. The NFL.com league I'm in is a full service league, and also free. However, I have used both services in the past in public leagues against people I didn't know and abandonment of teams was rampant. The last public league I was in had about 4 or 5 teams actually trying to win in a league of 12.

I'm in pretty good shape this week. In my Yahoo league, I have a large lead, and the only guy my opponent has left is Hines Ward. He's have to score something on the order of 3 TDs and get 100+ receiving yards to catch me, so I'm looking good for going 7-2 in that league.

The other league is a little more in doubt. We are tied going into tonight's game. My opponent has Chris Cooley and Antwan Randal El remaining, while I have Willie Parker and Hines Ward left. (Yes, in an ironic twist, I have Hines Ward in one league, and I'm going against him in the other league. However, like I said, I don't mind if Ward has a nice game tonight because he would have to be ridiculously good to cost me a win in the Yahoo league.) All told, I'd rather have my two guys than my opponent's two guys going into tonight. So I'm causiously optimistic about winning both of leagues this week.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Won both leagues.

I'm 6-2-1 in the nfl.com league, which is good enough for first place overall. It's a highly competitive league, and there is a three-way tie for second place, with all those teams at 6-3. Also speaking to its competitiveness, all teams have at least two wins.

Strangely, in my yahoo league, 7-2 is only good enough for third place, as there are two 8-1 teams. It's not nearly as competitive as my other league, with haves and have nots teams, including a winless team and two one-win teams.

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

7-2 in my league for a three way tie at the top. There's also three teams tied at 2-7 on the bottom with the rest of the teams between in a clump.

My team now has absurd depth and I'm not sure what to do with it... It's a good problem to have, but it irritates me since there's no clear cut starter at RB and WR (except Fitzgerald).

At RB I have Westbrook against the Giants (bad matchup), Parker against the Colts (good matchup), Hightower against the 49ers (great matchup), and DeAngelo Williams against the Raiders (good matchup).

My gut says Hightower and Parker, but the numbers say I have to start Westbrook. Last week I went against my gut and it cost me, so I'm actually gonna bench a health Brian Westbrook :eek:

Of course, it's against a very poor line-up so it shouldn't make much a difference :D

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You absolutely cannot bench Westbrook. He is a must-start regardless of matchup. Sometimes lineup decisions cost you, but over the long haul you have a much better chance getting burned by sitting a stud than you do by starting him. Don't you have a flex spot where you can start a 3rd RB? If you can only start two, I'd have to start Parker and Westbrook.

Basically, with those choices, I'd say start Westbrook every week he's healthy, and then usually start Parker, unless he's playing someone like the Ravens or Titans (who the Steelers still have left on their schedule), and those weeks when the matchup is bad, I'd start Hightower. I wouldn't trust Williams consistently, as you never know who is going to get the goalline carries between him and Stewart.

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Parker's out (again :rolleyes: ) so Westbrook is starting. I went with Williams over Hightower for two reasons... 1) The Raiders allow about 160 rush yards a game. 2) Johnathan Stewart is hurt, meaning more rushes for Williams.

I don't have a flex... and not having a flex spot helps my team more than it hurts, since I have the most points from WR's this year ;)

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, the good news is that Williams was a great call...

I am in a very interesting situation tonight. In my Yahoo league, I have a big lead, but my opponent has two players left - Gore and Warner.

In my NFL league, I am behind by a sizable margin, and the two players I have remaining tonight are... Gore and Warner.

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Haha. That's awesome... talk about conflicting interests.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    And as you might have guessed based on Warner's performance Monday night, I lost the league I was ahead in, and came back from behind to win in the league I was behind. So, I'm 7-3 in Yahoo, 7-2-1 in NFL. There was such a small window of opportunity there where I could have won both leagues, and there was no possibility of me losing both leagues. Going 1-1 was by far the most likely result.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.