1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

American BoM Fantasy Football League

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm just gauging interest at this point. I am a huge fantasy football fan, and I thought it may be fun to get a BoM fantasy football league together if there are enough people interested in fantasy sports - football in particular. We would need at least 10 people for a decent league, although if there is a lot of interest we could go as high as 14 people.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well THAT certainly turned out to be a popular suggestion!

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [crickets chirping]

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have actually felt for you Aldeth but you should have seen it coming. Not all that many people here interested in sports in the first place. Those few who are have a rather diverse taste with few into any one sport. Heck, I am a complete football (the kind you play with your feet) freak and I have no interest in fantasy versions of that.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll do a fantasy football if it's proper football and a proper competition (the official one on football league site is v. good). I'm pretty ace at it, I'll be perfectly honest.

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I'd certainly be up for a proper football one, particularly the official premier league fantasy football. I'd just be able to spin off my work team into another mini league. Doubt there are the numbers for a decent league though. We could probably scrape together enough football fans but they probably all follow different leagues.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, I missed this thread. I would have played. :(

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I will say that it looks like (in all likelihood) I will finish with the most points in my league after a week. I drafted receivers picks 2-4 this year, just trying to mix it up and have some fun. They weren't great, but picks 1&5 RB's Westbrook and Parker were... :D

Would've played with the board, but it didn't look like there would ever be enough for a proper league.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Football as in?? The word's used for too many sports lol

My preference would be football (soccer) and even though I've thought up some nice teams, I've never actually played. How exactly does it work?

The only fantasy sport I've played is fantasy football (AFL). The way that points are calculated is pretty good and even though it isn't a sport I watch regularly, the game is extremely fun; enough to make a LOT of people play each year. If it's a simliar system I guess I'd play :)

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

2-0!

My WRs combined for 392 yards and 2TD (even with my #3 pick Colston hurt)... Yeah, I'd say my WR draft strategy was fun and effective...

:bang: Too bad I thought Brandon Marshall was suspended 3 or 4 games, otherwise I'd gotten him again.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Did not realize this thread got resurrected. I am the defending champ of my work league, I'm currently 2-0, and with any luck will be 3-0 after tonight's game. I need 13 points using traditional scoring from Philip Rivers tonight - a very doable number.

Here's the team (named the Foppish Idiots, or course):

QBs (start 1): Kurt Warner or Philip Rivers (I play the matchups on this one)
    RBs (start 2): Marion Barber and Frank Gore
    WRs (start 2): Wes Welker and Hines Ward
    Flex (start 1): Willie Parker
    TE (start 1): Heath Miller
    K: Neil Rackers
    DST: Tampa Bay
    Bench: All three RBs immediate backup (Felix Jones, DeShaun Foster, Mendenhall)
    Laverneus Coles, Patrick Crayton, Chris Perry

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Terrible week... terrible. My neglect of quarterbacks is going to kill me. The last two weeks I've had to start JaMarcus Russell (since Houston had their bye) who only scored two points (I've since dropped him). Also Matt Schuab only scored two this week so he's being relegated to the bench.

QBs (start one): Trent Edwards (picked him up last week)
    RBs (start two): Brian Westbrook (hurt!), Willie Parker
    WRs (start three): Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, DeSean Jackson
    TEs (start one): Owen Daniels
    DST (start one): Jaguars

Bench (five):
    QB: Matt Schaub
    RB: Michael Pittman
    WR: Marques Colston (injured)
    Two open slot pending byes and injuries whatever else... This week I'm picking up Correll Buckhalter (Westbrook's hurt) and Brandon Lloyd (to cover Johnson's bye).

2-1 after a debacle last week... 45 points. Lowest before this week was 105 (sportsline.com standard scoring)

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    ugh - 45 is terrible! My friends and I also use sportsline, but we purchased the league manager feature, because we wanted a private league. The only differences between your league and ours are:

1. We have a flex position instead of a 3rd WR. The flex can be either a 3rd RB or a 3rd WR (or a 2nd TE, but no one actually does that).
    2. We use standard scoring with the following changes:
    +5 points for a RB with 100+ yds rushing
    +5 points for a WR with 100+ yds receiving
    +5 points for a QB with 300+ yds passing

So the scores in our league should be a little higher than yours, but 45 is terrible by any measure. My 3 scores up to this point: 137, 132, 114. And yes, I'm 3-0.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Haha yes, 42 (edit! gah) made me want to vomit a little. Only one player had double digit point production (16, next best was 7, then 4).

At this year it doesn't look like I'm going to get screwed like I did the year before... Last year I outscored the #2 team by 12 points per week (I had Brady, lol)... Unfortunately against me, my opponents scored 15 points per week more against me than the next most unlucky team. I ended the year missing the playoffs with a record of 7-6 or something similar. The worst part was the breakdown of how you'd do against each team if you played every week... the team that I was the worst against I would have been 8-5. Unfortunately matchups killed me.

How many teams are in your league? Your roster is stacked and I can't imagine getting that luck in a 12 team league.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It is a 12-team league - and I picked 12th overall. We do a snake draft, so the draft order reverses every round. So I got the 12th and 13th overall selections (Barber and Gore). I still have the draft sheet. The 11 players picked before my two selections were:

1. L. Tomlinson
    2. A. Peterson
    3. S. Jackson
    4. M. Westbrook
    5. T. Brady (no one knew he was going to get hurt)
    6. J. Addai
    7. P. Manning
    8. C. Portis
    9. R. Moss
    10. M. Lynch
    11. T. Romo

With the exception of Romo at 11 which may have been a bit of a reach (I thought of him as a 2nd round pick) I don't think there's anything unreasonable with those picks. I actually like picking 12th, because you also get the 13th pick, meaning you can snag two really good players.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I just realized that Jay Cutler and Phillip Rivers were drafted in the 10th round in my draft... That hurts, I got Schaub in the 9th.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'd say that's VERY late for Cutler, but about right for Rivers. Cutler was rated as about the 10th best QB going into the season (although he's turned out much better than that, we have to consider what he was projected at), so he should been drafted by someone as a starter. In a 12 team league, you're looking at Cutler going somewhere around the 5th or 6th round, when the last of the starting QBs are being selected.

Rivers, on the other hand, was not projected as a starting QB. Most people who picked him (including myself) took him to be the backup. I got Rivers in the 10th round of my draft, which is not an uncommon round to pick your backup.

So I wouldn't kick yourself over Rivers - while I selected him thinking that he would be considerably better this year than last year, no one predicted he would have this kind of improvement. On the other hand, Cutler you can kick yourself over. I cannot imagine why, in the 9th round if Cutler is still on the board you'd go with Schaub.

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm willing to assume that he was just not on my draft board because for some reason or another. I think that I might have messed up the organization or that I hadn't ajusted it enough to account for his undiagnosed diabetes last year... boo.

Oh and I looked over and I did draft Matt Hasselbeck in the end of the 6th round, but once I realized his scrub receivers would struggle (watching pre-season and injury reports) I traded him for Schaub who was picked a couple spots behind... And probably the best value I could find straight across without arousing suspicion. Drafting Hasselbeck over Cutler makes me feel a little better than if it was Schaub

I'm bored so I'll list my picks...

1 (pick #4)- Brian Westbrook RB (I showed up late so computer picked this... good choice)
    2 (pick #9 of the round)- Larry Fitzgerald WR
    3) Marques Colston WR
    4) Willie Parker RB
    5) Calvin Johnson WR (I did say I was having fun with receivers... free league)
    6) Matt Hasselbeck QB
    7) Jaguars DST
    8) Adam Vinatieri K (early but he was provided the advantage out of starting positions left)
    9) L.J. Smith TE (bad pick... I get him every year because he is talented, but... :rolleyes:)
    10) Ricky Williams RB
    11) DeSean Jackson WR
    12) JaMarcus Russell QB
    13) Owen Daniels TE
    14) D.J. Hackett WR

From there Hasselbeck was traded for Schaub, and the following moves were made to get to my current position (note: not all transactions just net change)...

Dropped: JaMarcus Russell QB, Ricky Williams RB, D.J. Hackett WR, L.J. Smith TE
    Added: Trent Edwards QB, Pierre Thomas RB, Antonio Bryant WR, Ryan Lindell K

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I just have a very different draft strategy. I am of the opinion that unless you get one of the top 3 or 4 TE, that they are all the same. The difference between the 5th best and 12th best TE is small. I also am of the belief (and this is backed up by point production) that there is only a marginal difference between a great defense and an average defense, and virtually no difference between a great kicker and an average kicker.

If you're into the hard numbers:

In a standard scoring league, the difference between the best defense last year and the 12th best defense was 5.6 points per week.

The difference between the best kicker and the 12th best kicker was 1.3 points per week.

So the total difference between the best and 12th best at each position was a measly 7 total points per week. Combine that stat with the knowledge that DST and K are two of the most difficult positions to predict which ones will be the top rated in any given year (there is more turnover in these two positions than any other) means that in your league I would have spent my 13th and 14th selections on my DST and K. Unless a good TE fell to the 5th or 6th round I would have waited until the 12th round to pick my TE.

Are you in a point per reception league? That's the only way I coud justify spending 3 of my top 5 picks on WRs. You have 3 very good WRs, but generally speaking WRs do not produce as many points as RBs, so I would have advocated using one of your 3 WR picks on a RB instead.

I'm a little nervous this week. I'm down 10 points going into tonight's game. My opponent has no players left. I need 10 points (really 11 - I don't want to tie) with Hines Ward and Heath Miller yet to play. That will be difficult to do with yardage alone, so it really comes down to whether or not one of the catch a TD pass. If one of them scores, I'm probably a winner, if not I'm probably a loser.

It was a rough week for me all around, and win or lose tonight, it will probably be my lowest point total thus far this year, as I currently only have 89 points. I depend heavily on Barber and Gore. Gore didn't do much, and Barber did practically nothing - he only got me 3 points. Rivers was also quite disappointing. If it wasn't for Coles, I wouldn't have any shot of winning this week unless I got an unexpectedly spectacular performance from one of my Steelers tonight.

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Nope, there's no points per reception in my league... I really only drafted those three receivers because I wanted to have some fun with it. I'm not sure how effective it has been, but my starting receivers have averaged 11 points per week... So that's 33 per week from my receivers, as opposed to about 20 for my opponents. Also it's noteworthy that I was fine with this because my running backs are probably one of the top pairs... when healthy, which unfortunately they aren't.

The LJ Smith pick was really bad, I still have no clue why I did it. Really I don't think enough about fortifying for injuries early enough. The DST I figured might be a safe pick if I looked for a good defense, but the key was finding a good returning team... and Maurice Jones-Drew had success in the past at that job. Stroud's departure really made a difference on that defense this season.

I'm thinking that you'll manage to pull off a win this week, a TD from Ward or Miller wouldn't surprise me, and with a TD you only need 50 yards (if I understand your scoring correctly) for the win.

I lost this week again, the two hurt running backs and bye week for one of my recievers (Johnson) limitted my team. I had to sign a short yardage TD back, so I picked up Pierre Thomas of the Saints (1 rush 1 yard, BAD)... not counting on the miraculous recovery of Deuce McAllister :rolleyes:... Oh yeah, I also started Edwards (vs. Rams) over Schaub (vs. Jacks) and Edwards produce a solid 14 points, Schaub exploded for 32.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.