1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

America

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Icecold39, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For 'schooling' read American Education System.

School is generally accepted as a place young people are sent to learn things like History and English. Obviously sometimes they fail in this mission.

The young people attending school are known as 'students'. I'm sure your profile describes your occupation as just such a thing? :p

[This message has been edited by Viking (edited May 02, 2002).]

2. Icecold39 Banned

This so called "Schooling" of yours, is anyone able to attend. Who needs "Schooling" when they have their Ma and Pa to teach me.(hich) i recond "Schooling" are for fools she is. Says that me wants to go to this "Schooling" of yours how many otter skins is it going to costs me(hich).

3. sorvo Guest

You sound like your living in a shack in the hills of West Virginia. Were Ma and Pa, Sis and Bro also. You better watch your self or your gonna get your ass banned!

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Viking: I resent that statement, I think Icecold39 is doing an exemplary job at degrading Americans.

5. Viking Gems: 19/31

ArtEChoke, you have a very fair point, and I humbly retract those words.

I would bow if I could find the smiley for it. ;)

6. Icecold39 Banned

Im not degrading Americans at all. I believe every country has its problems and we should not run from our mistakes or pretend they never happened. We should learn from our mistakes so we can better our future. I am American but we do have problems like any other country.

What was wrong with my History lesson did we not approve?

[This message has been edited by Icecold39 (edited May 02, 2002).]

7. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm a little late getting into this debate, but about that Joan of Arc comment (at the beginning), Joan was NOT the most successful military leader in French history, she's not even really a military leader (this has been stated above, but some of us history buffs like to repeat things). The most successful military leader in French history is definitely Charlemagne.
    I would recommend you adjust your wording, as they did not "prove" anything. Those witch hunts were a load of crap, an excuse to kill people they couldn't kill under normal circumstances. I've also never heard a reliable story that states that she actually admitted to being a witch.

Anyways, back to the original topic,
    -Laches
    I don't completely disagree with this statement, as Canada most likely did contribute money to these (dubious) causes. Everyone knows the US gave tons (I don't know the exact number) of weapons and equipment to Afghanistan when it was fighting Russia. I don't mean to point fingers, I just wanted to point that out too.

8. Icecold39 Banned

while Joan of Arc wasnt the best she was good for not having any military background and she was also a woman. When i said they proved that she was a witch im speaking from the prosicution prospective. Of course they could never prove it but is the evidence they used against her. It says in the bible i believe that no man shall dress as a woman nor should a woman dress as a man Mathew 6:45. Im joking im not sure exactly what it says or where but i do think it is in the bible somewhere

[This message has been edited by Icecold39 (edited May 02, 2002).]

9. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Does it even phase you people that you are all trying to argue with a 16 year old GMOTW? Why even bother? We all know that this kid is a little slow, let's stop arguing with him, and using big words. You'll only succeed in confusing the poor little tyke even further. By stooping to argue his idiotic points, you're letting him think he's your intellectual equal.

Now, would someone strap a helmet on this kid before he gives himself a concussion?

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

Excuse me Damona, but I really resent your statement about him being 16 and not able to understand "big words." I've stated in some other posts that I am also 16, and fully capable of understanding what you say. That condescending behaviour is offensive to us teens. You were a teen once too, and I'm sure you hated having older people looking down on you, just because you were younger.

11. Icecold39 Banned

I am your equal what the hell are you guys soposed to know about american history most of you are from a different country one anyways. Most of you have been playing a little too much Baldur's Gate

12. Laches Gems: 19/31

Hey Faeurus,

My post wasn't intended to ignore the faults of the U.S. and I hope that I made that abundantly clear. My point was that while the start of this thread was something I thought bounced back and forth between barely coherent and embarassing, as someone who has read these boards for a number of months now I can understand how Americans might feel some frustration. My point is simply that there seems to be a great deal of attack of the U.S. by Europeans and Canadians combined with a great deal of blindness to the fact that their governments engage in precisely the same sort of behavior. This leads to the possibility of Americans viewing these criticisms as hypocritical and being made with an unwarranted holier-than-thou attitude.

Your post points out that the U.S. has probably donated to dubious causes and I know that it has as I admit in my post above. Your post actually makes my point though, the failings of the U.S. were quickly pointed out while I'm not sure that I've ever heard of any of the notorious attrocities I mentioned above, perpetrated in many of the board's members in their own back yards, ever mentioned on these boards. I suppose that I'm just asking for a bit of balance and thought about all of the actions of your own nations before piling on the U.S.

That said, and like I mentioned above, I wish I'd written this in another thread as this guy pretty much had it coming.

13. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

See now Icecold, you're making me regret defending you. Don't start insulting people just because you can't contain your emotions. Besides, just because someone isn't from the US it doesn't mean they know nothing about it. There are such things as encyclopedias and the Internet where people can find information about the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.