1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Brallrock, Dec 1, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If you really don't need that much space (I don't really, for instance... most of the time I use up to 60, maybe 70 GB out of my 120), maybe you could invest in a faster one. Or more silent. BTW, get a silent one anyway. They become louder with age, I think. I don't think mine was so loud in the beginning.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

CAS: RaidMax Smilodon Med-Tower 420W Case w/ Side-Panel Window
    CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 CPU @ 2.13GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T [+40]
    CD: (Special Price) 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
    CABLE: Round Cable Upgrade for Hard Drive, Optical Drive & Floppy Drive [+19]
    FREEBIE_CU: FREE! 1GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
    MOTHERBOARD: (Quad-Core Supports) Intel DP965LT P965 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394&7.1Audio [-4]
    MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+140] (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+40])
    RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN NEXT BUSINESS DAY [+109]
    SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
    VIDEO: NEW !!! NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card

_PRICE: (+1135)

I also ordered Oblivion last night. The new PC should be here on the 22nd! I am so not getting a Dell Thanks for all the adivce, this is what I finally came up with. I think it will work nicely!

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Everything else is OK, but the graphics card is a miss... At this point, you should have gone for at least a 7900...

4. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well as fate had it, I ended up getting a stock PC and doing some imediate upgrades like changing to an Antec 450 watt PS, and a Ati Radeon X1900 GT 256 video card. Not many of the other specs changed, except I only have one CD/DVD drive for now. It came loaded with Vista Premium so I messed around with it for a while before I bomed it off and loaded XP. Vista is slow, and bulky, and it definately doesn't play well with games, Quake 4 would load but not play.

On the other hand, XP screams on this system.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.