1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AMD AM2 Computer

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Abdel - Bhaal Spawn, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What are your thoughts on the new AMD AM2 chipset. I heard the increase in speed over the 939 chipset was so minimum it isn't worth the money unless you were building a high end machine. What are your thought on the new CPU from AMD?

I for one won't be buying one. Instead if I do any upgrades it would be a higher end video card, AMD FX60, and 2GB of over clocked dual channel DDR RAM.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

It has piqued my interest too. I'm not sure, though... I mean, I've just recently upgraded to a dual-core X2.

I'm not sure it's worth it for now, but maybe in six months to a year it will become a truly more viable option. Until then, I'll stick with my 939.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My understanding of AM2 was that the main (maybe only) change was to the onboard memory controller so that it can use DDR2 memory.

If you are going to change motherboards in the near future, your best bet would be Intel's Core 2 Duo due near the end of this month rather than AMD's AM2.

4. Disciple of The Watch

You almost sound like an Intel sold-out, BTA.

But IIRC, yes, the AM2 is the platform that can use DDR2 - I don't see much reason to change for the AM2, because I still use the DDR I had on my P4. DDR2 is also more expensive, IIRC.

As for Intel... *shrugs* I don't know. I personally am more of an AMD sellout. See the AMD sign over my head?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you look at the benchmarking for the new Intel processors, AMD is getting stomped. Intel's $300-$400 part is beating AMD's $1000 part in speed, and using less power.

AMD has for the past few years gotten the better of Intel in speed and efficiency, but that's changed with this new generation of Intel processors.

That may change again, which is why I said "in the near future".

6. Disciple of The Watch

Benchmarks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As long as the CPU has got enough juice to do whatever you want... who cares about how it ranks? My X2 is superior to my P4, and it's good enough for me.

7. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Actually, this one was a concern of mine too and it turns out to be false. DDR and DDR2 are very close in cost (my DDR2 at 667mhz cost essentially as much as DDR at 400mhz). As for AM2, well, I decided to go that route for upgradabilities sake. LAst time I built a computer I bought a Socket A chipset 2 weeks before the Socket 939 came out... ouch...

The one thing ive really noticed with my cpu, Am2 X2 4200, is that it runs very cool. Overclocked to 2.46mhz it runs at around 40 degrees Celsius, 42 when under a lot of stress. I've even heard of people running these things without a fan just for curiousities sake... even then they dont overheat (note for this one, the dude only ran windows at the time and it got between 60 and 70 degrees iirc).

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'm not saying you should regret your X2, or not be happy with it. But if you were in the market for a new computer about now and could get a faster CPU for less money in addition to saving on your electricity bill by buying Intel, why would you stick with AMD? Just because you like the name?

9. Disciple of The Watch

No, because my P4 used DDR, which was fully compatible when upgrading to a socket 939 (the new Intel uses DDR2, IIRC, it's more expensive), plus I got it from a friend of a friend, so I didn't paid full price... and as for electricity, it's included in the monthly cost of the apartment, so that doesen't bother me.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hehe. Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically, I just meant anyone in general who wanted a new computer (either AM2 or Core 2 Duo) around this time.

Your wish to stick with DDR memory doesn't apply when deciding between AM2 processors or the Core 2 Duos, but your reasons are certainly fine ones for why you bought the computer you did; there is certainly nothing wrong with AMD at all as I said.

11. Disciple of The Watch

I definitively dig my X2. It runs cool (even better with a copper Zalman fan), quiet, it's a powerhouse, and handles my tasks with laughable ease.

I may not like Intel, but the new Core Duo might just be "the next big thing". I personally don't intend to buy one, but I will watch. It's my duty, after all, as apprentice computer tech. I am firmly in the AMD camp, but that doesen't mean I consider all Intel to be crap. The Prescott P4 disappointed me, though. In fact, the comp for internet uses a P3, and it's definitively a great processor.

We can but wait and watch.

12. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes intel is releasing their new CPU using the 65nm technology current used in their 900D series CPU, but their is change in the chipset. AMD change to the AM2 is the new chipset design, but they have not switched over to the 65nm technology, yet. The switch to the new chipset was to give them the ability to use DDR2 RAM. AMD will release the new 65nm CPU in the fall and from what I have read all AM2 boards will have an updated bois to run the new 65nm CPUs. That means if you buy a AM2 board between now and when AMD releases their new 65nm CPU you would not have to switch mobo just CPUs.

My question is on performance today between 939 and the AM2 chipset. When AMD releases the 65nm CPU it will increase performance over the 90nm AM2 chipsets.

So, back to my question on current performance between the AMD CPUs and value of them.

I am wondering is it worth upgrading to the new AMD2 mobo with 1GB DDR2 RAM and CPU if some one currently has a 939 AMD Athlon 64 and 1GB of dual channel DDR ram? What is the major change in performance if any?

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Based on the benchmarks I have seen, there was from slightly better, to no difference, to even slightly worse (depending on the type of memory) performance going from socket 939-based processors to AM2 right now. As you say, this may improve in the future.

As I mentioned above, the processor designs for AM2 are mainly a change to the on-board memory controller part of the chip (the memory controller for Intel chips is in the northbridge, not the processor chip), not to the processing parts, so you wouldn't expect much difference now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.