1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alternative Chapter Three

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by 8people, Jul 12, 2003.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've had an idea for BG2. An alternative chapter 3. Hence the title

How many times have you played through, perhaps good party, or a paladin. Reluctant to join the thieves or Bodhi, both are evil, and dangerous. So why not add a couple more alternatives? Perhaps and illegal mage guild, who want revenge on Irenicus for attracting the Cowled Wizards to the Promenade where they are based. Or maybe a group dedicated to good, who want to eradicate both Bodhi and the Shadow Thieves and require your aid to achieve it, in exchange will supply the services their enemies offered.

I think it would be easier than it sounds. We have all the areas, I can easily make NPCs, I'm getting pretty quick with dialogues now so I should be able to give it a go.

I need input though. What sort of groups would you like to Join, The Radiant Heart would probably not get involved, be creative, make up groups.

Would you like mage groups, more evil groups, druidic groups anything! Just post it up here. The more the merrier! Though I can't promise them all being included. Every so often I will post ones that will definitly be put in.

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The Counsil of Six could be one of these groups. If some of them aren't already members of Shadow Thieves or Cowled Wizards, they would like to see both of them destroyed, since they could be a threat.

3. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Perhaps one of the 3 main temples, and have it dependant on alignment. If its possible you could make so that you have to complete the three main temple quests and maybe some extras on top.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] could be difficult, that one, the six always keep hidden away. Always have the nobility or law enforcement - Captain Brege, is it? in the Government building or the lady in there.

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

What about working for the government? Enforcing the law, get rid of possible threats :D I think that would be a good idea, and if you work enough for them they will send you to Spellhold...

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

They could make the contacts with the player character via a representative, just like the Shadow Thieves did in the beginning of chapter 2. In addition their non-involvement doesn't make sense. A guild war is taking place in their city, the streets are full of dead bodies, the Cowled Wizards are losing the control of the Spellhold and they just sit and do nothing?

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I like the idea of the council of Six or perhaps not all of them but some of them wanting to get rid of the cowled wizards, Bodhi and the Shadow thieves. I play chaotic good. Don't mind using evil npc as long as I'm the boss.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    But isn't one of the members of the Six the Shadow Thief Grandmaster? Or have I mixed something up?

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Brega or Yanulin (IIRC the names) can't involve openly. The Council of Six includes Aran Linvail, yes, but there's not likely to be a Cowled Wizard there (they're sort of Council's mercenaries). Perhaps the vice-consul on the Council's behalf?

Radiant Heart is in a complicated situation at the moment and Wessalen probably belongs to the Council.

Hmm... temples maybe?

The clergy of Lathander would gladly help take care of Bodhi and her undead scum. As for Irenicus himself, he's rather going to attract the attention of Helmites... who wouldn't miss the opportunity to put an end to unlawful imprisonments, selling magic licenses etc.

Charname could also act on his own in secret. Some of Athkatla's tavern regulars surely have been to Brynnlaw and they must have heard about Spellhold if all citizens of that town know.

He could also follow Irenicus's example - cast a spell or two and let the Cowled Inquisitor take him to Spellhold... much like you do with Desharik but quite earlier. Someone could also accept a generous bribe and arrange for all them six to end up in one prison cell (Cornelius maybe?).

If someone is going to make a whole mod then why not add a new faction? Perhaps Church of Mystra, those guys wouldn't be happy with Cowled ones at all.

Also Valygar seems a natural ally against Cowled Wizards. He used to serve as army scout and it's quite possible that he has friends in Amnese Spec Ops.

Perhaps de'Arnise Duchy could be used as a force able to oppose Cowled Wizards after prompt and proper solution of Roenall problem :evil:

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sounds nice, but I never had any problems working with the Shadow Thieves. They're my kind of fellows, I say. :evil:

I'd rather not work with Bodhi. Evil is evil but vampires are simply too unnatural a charname I play to associate with.

That sounds like a lot of work, though. The cowled wizards as a sponsor sounds good. As does the various alignment based church sponsors.

How about a path in which you make your own way to Spellhold, without the aid of any allies? After all, you are a Child of Bhaal, a being of semi-divine power. Who needs the help of mere mortals?

Interesting idea you have here. I look forward to whatever you might make of this.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    This is an awesome idea, by the way.
    What if you work FOR the Cowled Wizards to hunt down powerful mages (complete with timestop-lich even?), then they throw you in Spellhold or land you on Brynnlaw?

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Or maybe get employed by some representative elves from Sundenlassen (sp). But it doesn't sound likely that they will come looking for Irenicus while he is still cursed and BEFORE he incited the drow and hid the city, etc.

But of course, maybe Irenicus has some truly dedicated elven friends that are sympathetic and want to check up on him. Maybe these friends think the punishment was too harsh and they want you to "save" him from Spellhold because they think Irenicus can change and be good again.

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This does sound cool, as I never liked both of them either. And I like the get to Spellhold by yourself idea as well.

14. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I think getting there without aid is a definite in.

One of the Six wanting to get rid of the guilds will be put in.

Perhaps the Rybald from the Adventurers Mart?

Maybe not a church of mystra, but perhaps the Harpers in General?

And seeming as Nalia nd her Aunt are the only De'Arnise left there after the raid thing it might prove troublesome.

Perhaps some not-quite-human groups? The Dao Genie from Trademeet, perhaps?

15. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This would indeed be a great thing 8people.
    I´d like to see some sort of mage guild you could join since I play mage most of the times. The coolest thing were if you made a few different and depending on class and alignment different people appeared first time you get to the slum. What about Drizzt having heard of some evil forces in the city wanting your help to root it out. And if you can it would be cool if the dialogue changed when you meet him after the underdark where you tell him that Bodhi is back in her lair and so on.

16. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't think Drizzt would be in Athkatla by the time you are. I think he's best straying where he is.

I have started planning a few things for the four groups confirmed (without aid, member of the six, rogue wizards and harpers) there will be benifits and consequences for each. To try and balance them.

Thinking perhaps Firkraag if you are evil.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hey, great idea 8people :D

I think the idea of the Council of Six is cool. Why not work with/for the Order of the Radiant Heart? A vampire guild surely wouldnt go unnoticed by them and they would want to root it out and destroy for the greater good or whatever.

Perhaps having some kind of link back to BG1? Some group Charname encountered then? The Flaming Fist or something *shrugs*. Im sure any group from BG1 would be more than happy to help out, whether or not they knew where Brynnlaw is though is another matter :rolleyes:

Its all good though! Keep us informed mate! :D

18. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Dragoneye seems to be moving along well.
    :)
    I sent our ideas to our third member to see his opinion on them.

I like the idea of haveing a good party to side with. I mean... paladin, your not exactly going to go with either the theives or some demonic vampire?

@8people: Dragoneye web[age creations gonna be on hold for in a week for two weeks while I'm on holiday.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For neutral or good, I like the idea of the Harpers. They are already there, complete with some quests. Maybe you can build it into the Xzar/Montaron bit. Good luck.

20. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Anyway if you would be on it, you could make poor Monty raisable in some temple. Aegisfield can be raised, so why not?

Anyway, that would be evil, when we need good, but how about an aliance with the Mind Flayers in the sewers?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.