1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All the bees are dying

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, May 24, 2013.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Lest pointless, oddball polls about principality schoolboard elections in Bulgaria become the lifeblood of this once proud forum, I thought I'd start some new topics about subjects of actual importance.

One that I find incredibly troubling is the recent phenomenon of what has come to be known as honeybee colony collapse disorder, or CCD. Put simply, bee colonies are dying off in record numbers and no one knows for sure why.

http://science.time.com/2013/05/07/...s-are-still-dying-and-we-still-dont-know-why/

The whole thing is worth a read, but it's hardly the authoritative piece on the matter. Googling the term "colony collapse disorder" brings up over 700K hits.

I think it's obvious from the description how dire this could be for the world food supply and the natural landscape in general if the trend isn't reversed, and quickly. Is anyone else as freaked out about this as I am?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Bees over here have been on the bleedin' roids I'm sure. They're chuffing huge!

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's been happening a lot here as well but I thought they pretty much conclusively determined that it was due to (over)use of some pesticides by farmers...

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It happened on Doctor Who as well. It turned out the bees were all returning to their home planet, which had been stolen by the Daleks.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I first saw an article about it in 2008. According to that particular vid one of the main causes was a diseased (cultured) bee strain.

The fact remains that, regardless of what is actually causing it, the phenomenon is real. A major pollinating agent has suddenly experienced a massive decline. Some believe it's simply the bees' time, others worry that it might become a precedent for other pollinating agents. Consider that around 1/3 of the food people eat are from flowering plants.

6. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

The problem is the insanely unbalanced position we as a species inhabit in the ecology of the Earth. It's very worrying. As one comment in the article said, a very important step in halting and hopefully reversing these dangerous changes is getting our population growth under control. I agree with that, but I think it's just as important to improve our ability to affect the natural environment on far less intrusive level, e.g., implementing safer or no pesticides and fertilisers, clearing up the North Pacific Gyre, changing the chemical nasties in our shampoos and detergents, getting off our fossil fuel addiction, and many, many more things. I'd also like our governments to really start promoting increasing the variety of vegetables grown by farmers, to combat the incredible drop in variety of commercially grown food.

Vorona likes this.
  7. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I've wanted to reply to this thread, as the bees' disappearance does worry me, but I really have nothing to say. I had no idea on how we can help the situation. That said, I think MrMermaid's suggestions sound particularly apt. I especially liked the suggestion about increasing the variety of vegetables, and in general, support family farms more. I just wonder if enough people will actually follow through on those.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    These are nice thoughts, but they really aren't within our ability right now. If we stopped using non-organic fertilizers and pesticides, we simply don't have enough food to feed everyone. And I don't mean we're a little short - about a billion people would need to die off if we went the all organic route. I, for one, would not want to be the person who decides which billion people that is.

And the fossil fuel addicition I don't see ending in our lifetimes. Hell, in the last five years with the oil and natural gas boom in the US (fracking), it is expected that by the end of the decade the US will become a net oil EXPORTER. Granted, I doubt that will cause a huge plummet in the price of oil on the global market. Every year, China and India need more oil. and so even though the US demand is shrinking by the year, it's growing by a faster rate in developing nations. We will still need all the oil we can pump - it just will be going to different places.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.