1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alignment related template modification

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So lets say the DM has decided that an NPC half-celestial human fighter has been captured by an Arch-Devil and instead of killing the half-celestial has decided to make the half-celestial into a cruel mockery of itself. Now when the Arch-Devil decides to send said half-celestial after the PCs, I was thinking that most of the half-celestial's special attacks, which are good based are worthless against the neutral or good aligned PCs. However, I don't think, after an Arch-Devil flooding raw evil through the half-celestial's body that such noble abilities remain I was thinking of stripping the half-celestial of it's supernatural abilities of duplicating the spell daylight at will and smite evil, along with the half-celestial set of spell-like abilities and replacing them with the half-fiend's smite good supernatural ability and the half-fiend's set of spell-like abilities which I feel is a fair trade in terms of CR. I didn't see a reason for changing special qualities as I don't find the particular immunities or resistances to be strongly associated with alignment and I still wanted it to feel like a celestial being, but have abilities that aren't primarily combative to its own alignment.

My main question is what you posters think about this in terms of an RP stand point. Do you think that helps make a half-celestial feel more like a fallen angel. Would you take it further or do something else?

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Hmm, A Fallen Angel template, to be added to the Half Celestial that would mean that it's abilities function as Evil instead of Good? That could work...

It's similar to the Fallen Paladin becoming a Blackguard in a way...

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think it's possible, but not necessary. Generally, I try to keep mechanics and roleplaying related, but separate in my games. It could be that the fighter simply gets the half-fiend template, even as s/he looks kinda like a half-celestial. I think you can have both templates, actually, but there's no need for that. BTW, the WotC website had an article with different half-fiend templates based on what the fiend part was here:http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a. At the very least, this means that if you want to keep some of the supernatural abilities, you're welcome to do so.

Actually, I've always been curious about good outsiders with the half-fiend template or vice versa. That could be quite amusing in many ways.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Wow, that's a help and a half.

I was really going to stick away from going the throw more templates on route as that would have ran the CR up higher then I wanted too (not to mention ability scores, as throwing a corrupted template on top of the half-celestial would have added a +8 bonus to both Str and Con... a bit more of a combat juggernaut then I'd want).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.