1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alignment Problems

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by IHNIWTR, Apr 30, 2008.

1. IHNIWTR Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So, hey. I've gotten pretty far in the game (gotten Ignus) but I have one constant problem: my alignment doesn't change. It's been stuck at Natural Good for ages now. I tried following the laws, I tried lying and acting crazy, nothing. I've even tried downloading one of the savegame editors from the site (PSTHack) and even it doesn't change anything!

Am I missing something? Am I using the editor wrong? Is there any place in the game I can spam to be more lawful/chaotic?

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You've probably done an equal share of lawful and chaotic acts, so that your alignment is neatly stuck in the middle. The game doesn't inform you when you do something that affects alignment, it only tells you when your alignment actually shifts. It happened to me during my first game - I was stuck on Neutral Good forever.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dan Simpson's walkthrough does list actions which affect alignment. You can read/download the guide from SP.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    As Ziad and T2Bruno say.

Some general guidelines:

Lawful acts: Making wows, telling the truth (even if it might hurt), respecting the authorities.

Chaotic acts: Breaking wows, joking, lying, "random" acts like speaking to skeletons and zombies when they can't answer you.

I found it somewhat harder to change my alignment lawful/chaotic-wise than good/evil-wise.

5. IHNIWTR Gems: 1/31

No, see, I know the guidelines, and I even tried following the walkthrough, but I'm still stuck. I'd hate to have to start a new game with the damn Tome o' Cheats, and I can't for the life of me figure out how the save editor works (change alignment, load game, change alignment float message appears, nothing actually happens). I'm basically at a loss as to what I need to do here.

6. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I played recently and managed to get TNO to lawful good reasonably early - and that was even after playing with a few skellies in the mortuary. If you are doing everything right and it's still not working then it's possible your game is not working as intended. Do you have any patches or mods installed?

7. IHNIWTR Gems: 1/31

patch 1.1, all 4 CDs copied into my computer, and the latest Fix Pack.

8. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Pretty much what I had then...you haven't indulged in too much barking at chaosmen, then?

9. Ziad

Media:
    If you're really desperate, get Near Infinity and change the number of "lawful points" you have. Changing the alignment itself doesn't work - it resets immediately to whatever the points tell it to be. But changing the points themselves will make you shift alignment as soon as you load the game.

10. IHNIWTR Gems: 1/31

Thanks man, just one last thing: I tried searching the forum for a guide on how to use NI, and came up with scratch. Would you mind explaining how exactly I'm supposed to change the points?

11. Ziad

Media:
    I would have, but I don't have the game or NI installed at the time, and I don't remember the name of the variable (sorry!). I think the variable was called "law" or "lawful" or something like this, next to another one called "good" (which affected your alignment on the Good/Evil axis). As for using NI if you go to the home page you'll find information on how to get the software running, load saved games and search for variables.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.