1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alfa

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by jesper898, Nov 4, 2001.

1. jesper898 Guest

what is alfa?, do you actually play NWN if you join alfa?

2. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Basically, ALFA is a group of servers that try to recreate the world of Faerun (Forgotten Realms) on NWN. You apply to be a player (or GM) and if you get in, you are allowed to play (or GM) in their world. The application needs some work, because they can (and will) choose the best players.

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ah, well, to be precise, they can and will chose the best *applicants*, which may or may not be the best players. I'm sure anyone who has hired a lot of people will realise the significant difference between those two things. :D

Aloha
    Vormaerin

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have to agree. They will choose the applicants that they like the best, based likely on certain key things they are looking to aviod on a application and the creativity and quality of the applicant's background story and answer to one vague question about what a roleplayer should be. Will this translate into the best players possible? It has a chance to, but it just as easily might not. ALFA at this point seems to be one of the best organized online worlds in which to play NWN, so they have a shot at being one of the better ones. However, this remains to be seen, and I think we should reserve the right to call ALFA's roleplayers the best until the verdict is in, not before the trail starts.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited November 06, 2001).]

6. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] What will ALFA achieve ?
    "Yeah, I applied, and if I'm not accepted, I'll become the Devil Incarnate of all PK's and wander the internet destroying ALFA-players characters and dreams."

This is a Schism in the making, people.

Clans, Factions, call them whatever you will are a long established tradition on the 'net but isolating the actual worlds that are to be played upon can only be a BAD thing. In fact, EXACTLY the bad thing that happened to the Pen & Paper A/D&D. People keeping to themselves and their tight communities, not actively seeking to expand the user base.
    ALFA is anathema to the internet gaming tradition of 'free-for-all' gaming.

PS: Skullport is no more (That's why I'm so Nihilistic)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] No, not really. At least it'll keep (most) of the powergaming munchkins out, if nothing else. Check out some sites of guilds that don't intend to play on ALFA. They're all in the same "we'll be the l33test, have the best weapons, hoard the most money etc.". Thanks, but no thanks. Times of unpatched Diablo 1 are over as far as I'm concerned. (Not that it wasn't fun or anything, but I hope NWN will be above the level of Diablo in that aspect.)

It was fun there, sure, but I prefer to have munchkins separated from people who will at least try to role-play as much as is possible in a CRPG.

No one is forcing you to join ALFA anyway. If you want to make the effort to join and be a part of something special, great. If not, there are plenty of munchkin guilds around and the powergaming servers will outnumber role-playing ones at least 1:10 in any case (I'm 100% sure of this), so you needn't worry either way. Both worlds will be able to have fun in their own way.

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, its kind of hard to expand one's "user base" in PnP. There's a reason why those groups of 4-8 are the norm. :)

As for ALFA, I don't see it causing any such problems. What's the ALFA player cap currently, something like 1000? That's a plenty healthy size for a gaming group, in fact more than likely too big for the number of DMs (depending on how often people play, I suppose). But it'll only be a drop in the bucket of total NWN players if this game is at all succesful.

People play games in differing styles. I have many friends who are also gamers and not all of them are good in the same campaigns. At that is just among my friends, much less strangers off the street (or internet). There is nothing wrong with what ALFA is trying to do.

I just want to see the game before I worry about *where* I'll play it.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

9. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well spoken my Tasloi friend...

My point is that there are more than 1000 honest to goodness roleplaying chaps out there and where are the non-ALFA guys going to play?
    I think ALFA is an excellent idea, just for the record, and is an example of what can be achieved by a like-minded community.
    BUT
    NWN is probably going to ship over 500,000 units which leaves 499,000 non ALFA people.

And Taluntain... read Bain Croix's posts and tell me he did'nt PK in Diablo !
    HE WILL BE IN ALFA !

No offence to anyone, love u guys, peace

Linael

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Linael, I never said anything about him. :)

He might be in ALFA, but the question is, for how long? ;)

Anyway, I'm not up to speed with the latest developments but I hear Jon left over some of this crap...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.