1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Wildfire, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] What time in April roughly will ALFA be up and running again?

Also, is there any way of finding out why your character was rejected?

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] No, but I'd imagine it would be early. We'll announce it here when it happens, right Tal?
    Again no, they don't do inquests. Like I said before, bad spelling, lack of imagination, evidence of a desire to 'powegame' count against you.
    If at first you don't succeed ...

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We sure will. You can count on it.

4. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I'm still waiting for ALFA to open and allow charactor submissions in April. Curses for finding out too late!

Does anyone know if they require characters to start at lvl 1?

5. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Yes, everyone starts at level 1 with 0xp and only the gear you can buy with your starting cash. That, plus the points buy system for stats. means a completely level playing field for everyone. You can't even claim that your uncle is a Lord of Waterdeep so you get free lodging.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I completely agree with the level playing field idea, but I do have one concern. I guess this is for you and Syl; will DMs award XP for role-playing? I mean if some fighter goes out and kills a bunch of creatures at the start he'll get a quick jump on XP. If I role-play real good but do little fighting will I get screwed? Are we rewarding role-playing or hack & slash?

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If NWN is released with the ability to award experience for those who role-play their character, then yes ALFA will fully support it.

Syl...

8. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I hope it does. But even if it doesn't you will still share in the xps for any 'puzzles' the group solves, quests the group completes and combats where your cleric takes part whether that be by spellcasting, stone slinging or mace cracking.

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31

It good to know that all character will be rewarded for their efferts. I wonder how they will work the XP for killing creatures. Normally it's divided by the number of PC in your 'party'. So if a bunch of PC kill something do they all have the XP divided? Will any PC on the screen receive some XP? Any PC that hurt the creature?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I suspect that every character playing the game that is marked as a "party member" at the time when the beast is fought will recieve the equal amount of XP, even if he only stands around and does nothing.
    But of course, every server you play on will be able to address this differently, since every DM can set their own rules.

But the basic (official) will probably be the one I outlined above.

11. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm glad and yet not so glad that there will be Human DMs. The upside is that if you are pretty close to killing a tough foe but you either have to retreat or something, they can still give experience for trying; or if you come up with a great idea for a trap but just by chance it didn't work, you can still get a few XP.

The only thing I'm not quite sure about (and I know everyone has thought of this already and have probably metioned it before) is that not all the DMs will be fair.

Erran: Do you know what kind of questions the DMs are asked when applying for a position?

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Vile,

I think that these are more good reasons to have a live DM than you listed. I think the most important is dynamtic adventures. The DM and run an quest for your party, give hints, control NPCs and speak diologue.

I agree that some DM might be unfair but hopefully with 3 or more DMs (a lead DM and two Assist DMs) on a server things will work out. If a DM is unfair all the time I assume ALFA can remove their server.

On the DM app. ALFA asked about role-playing values, what are the qualities of a good DM, and a bunch of other stuff. I read it a few months ago but I don't remember all of it.

13. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Voltric: Well, that kind of comes with a given. I figured that they would have to create exciting enough adventures to keep the players happy; and that includes their own little quirks that will make the players enjoy it even more so. I do agree that the tools sound quite awesome and will give the DMs much freedom to do their own thing.

To the second point mentioned, I guess it would be best to say that some DMs like a more hack-n-slash adventure while others like a more role-playing environment. (I know this has been brought up before.) I'm just hopeing that they will award the same general amount of experience. (provided that it's good role-playing or that they kill enough monsters.) I just don't want an unbalanced world. I'm hopeing that their will be some safeguard against this.

14. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I know they have monthly DMs conferences where they discuss stuff like this.
    Even so, the DMs are all 'human' so will have different styles; some run IWD hack and slay dungeon crawls with maybe high mortality rates, others more plot based and political.
    Maybe we will have to create our own Volo's guide to the DMs!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.