1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA adventures

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I heard they were working on a Treant model, I didn't know you could be one though. :D

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

i gotta be one... se my avatar ;) :grin: :grin:

Silverblade...
    I still live yes. :D
    Tenses are one thing i could've learned in school, if i actually listened to my teacher :rolleyes:
    But as i didnt such a thing happened :(

I dont know... am i the only one who gets bored of his char so quickly?
    Its not that i dont like Jacha or anything, but it gets a little dull having a spellcaster for a month or even more. Until he dies. :(
    I'm wondering if i could have more active ones saved on the server and play the one i like when i log on.

Sorry to hear that about you're Sabor Math...
    I was very sad whan my druid first died too Didnt play for two days :eek:

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope, you can't have more than one character active at any one time. If you don't want to play your current character though, you can just retire him, you don't have to wait until he's killed.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You can play a different character on a Beta server. (Arwen & Erran are working on Yatar ... they would appreciate help finding bugs and play testing things)

5. Gothmog

It is so that you can use weapons which are favourite by your deity right?

I just had a wonderful idea about a druid (my favourite class ever in all games :D ) wielding a big scythe in both arms. And its Chauntea's prefered weapon so its RP quite suitable for a druid. He'll certainly look cool... and he wont be to powerful either (not that it would be a problem if it were ;) ).

Yeah!
    Now i just need to know if that is so tha you can use you'r deity's weapon... I think i read that somewhere but i'm not completely certain.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Bad news ... in ALFA you cannot use your dieties favored weapon if it is outside of the druid's normal choices.

Good news ... I think scyth is allowable .. you have to choose an exotic weapon feat to use it, but then you should be okay.

Check out This thread from the ALFA board for more information.

Technically, even though all elves are proficient with bows, an elvish druid would not use one. That's what killed the fun of my druid for me.

7. Gothmog

[​IMG] Hmmm... It may be technicaly that elven druids cant use bows, but i've seen plenty of them on DaggerDale and the all of them use bows.

I dont agree with druidic selection of weapons but that doesnt really belong here...

Well, eventhough i've played druid quite some time in NwN i didnt come across any feat he should have. Sure, lots of'em are useful but none is vital. Thats why i'll probably just take Exotic weapon prof.
    But that will come at lvl3... IIRC the requirement is min. BAB 1 And thats not something a lvl1 druid has :)

EDIT:
    So, if i get that right ALFA druids should not use any other weapons than those that their oath allows.
    But weapon restriction is not implemented so this is based on fairness of the players and DM enforcing.

Where did you see scytle is an exception?

[ July 11, 2003, 17:53: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

8. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*cries*

I'm the only none elf druid I know.
    I'm also one of the only people who uses a spear. Come on people! spears kick ass!

Lol. Some girl though I was trying to hit on her RP boyfriend. which I was... scary.
    I hope not all people think of Tae like this, Please, if anyone sees Taemarya, call her Tae, not Taem, Thats just what malek calls me. And its anoying. Tae is pronounces T-I. Taem is like time.

9. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As I understand it, the ALFA stance on druid weapons is that they can only use those that are listed in the PHB description of the class: club, dagger, dart, halfspear, longspear, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear and sling. In the PnP game, a druid that uses any weapon other than those listed above will lose his druidic abilities for 24 hours. Since this can't really be monitored in ALFA, the ruling is no other weapons for druids.

Personally, I could see a druid using a bow or a scythe as these don't seem particularly 'undruid-like'. But, them's the rules ;)

10. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Merry has renounced Mask and sought sanctuary in the temple of Yondalla. He now prays that the All-Mother will forgive him but knows he will never be able to leave the temple. Tymora smiled though and one of the Ironstars was there when Merry told what Mask had put him up to in Daggersdale.

11. Gothmog

[​IMG] darn... I cant find ALFA beta server.

And i know i found it before becouse i even played a bit on it.

Where is it?

12. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@ Mat

Umm. I believe that it was me that looted your corpse.

And holy sh*t. If it was you, why so many ant exoskeletons, there were like... 30 odd?

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'Cause Mat's an ant farmer obviously ;)

So since you're off to bigger and better things, spill it Merry! What did Mask put you up to?

14. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Gothmog: Go to www.alandfaraway.net, and select Members Login. After entering your login info, click the "Here" link to see the IP addresses for every ALFA server, and the stage of the servers (Beta 1,2,3, Live). You can then connect directly to any of the Beta servers that are currently up and running.

P.S. Do NOT click the Retire Character button. It pays to know where this is, so you don't mistakenly retire your current ALFA Live character ;)

15. Gothmog

Righto

I just found out the portraits packs :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And i wondered why so many people choose their own custom (at least what i thought) portraits. :D

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I'm an ant farmer? :eek: I was working from home and every hour or two logging in for a 20 min ant-stomping spree. Heh, got me killed.

My new PC has a good motive to collect those exoskeletons ... he wants free heavy armor. I'm going to try to get 50 or so and see if I cna't get plate mail.

17. Gothmog

[​IMG] I've always wondered about this thing... If you get heavier armor if you bring more exoskeletons.

I guess it works then.

Now I know why that random/merhandise/mechant had so many ant exoskeletons once that i checked with him :) ;)

Another thing i'm wondering... XP is dependant on your level. Lets say lvl 1 gets 50XP for something. Lvl2 gets 100XP for the same job (for instance). Now, does lvl3 guy get 150 or 200 XP? (i never got to 3 level :( )

I'm really questioning the logic of that rule, though. Xp requirements for the next levelup are there for a reason... Weak characters level fast (not in ALFA ;) ) and more powerful ones are to level slower.
    I think that there's a good point to this rule... i fail to see why ALFA is almost ignoring it.

18. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

From the journal of Aendhiir, a young traveling bard.

"It doesn't make any sense. A few days ago Rugnar, Hobbie, Vii'th, Voran, Jacha and I stumbled upon a message from Colderan the mage-lord, saying he wanted to kill everybody in Daggerdale. Today I was sitting outside of the River Gate again, when this Colderan suddenly appeared. I thought hell would break loose, but Rem Stoneybrook tried to negotiate with him. I myself was preparing for a fight, but it didn't come to that. We could have taken him out, we were with at least ten, and could have handled this all today. I shared some usefull information with the group present at that time (more like yelling things about Colderan's dead girlfriend, with him present, which actually pissed him off), but I think Colderan knows we are prepared for him. It seemed I had given some people new information and they decided to inform the dwarves that life nearby. Emon Eaglesclaw, Tandal Patchman, Sir Charles Riftwind, Rhekka Vanterox left for the dwarven city, and I went with them. I seemed to be the only one who knew about Colderan's message, and thanks to my bardic skills, I remembered it word by word, and told it to the dwarven lore master.

We returned to town, and on our home journey, I was told that others had seen a message from Colderan too, carved in the bones of a dead dwarf, today even, and that they summoned Colderan from the dead. Some of our party went looking for Rem, but they never returned. Tandal, Rhekka and I waited for them, but they probably went searching for Colderan without us. Why should I even care what happens to Daggerdale? Let him destroy it all. I was tired of waiting and went for the pub. I don't care if Colderan destroys Daggerdale, I just hope I'm away from it by the time he does. There was nothing I could have done, and doing nothing with an ale in your hand, is better than doing nothing and wait.

I haven't been thinking clear for the last few days, which has partly to do with not enough sleep. If this thing gets serious I might leave for Waterdeep, Arabel or my home town Silverymoon. Maybe my opinion changes in the morning, when I have rested and the effects of this dwarven ale are gone.
    "

Seriously and out of character, I really don't get this plot. Not knowing what the DM's are planning is annoying, I even think the DM's are not working together and have their own ideas about this Colderan. If some people today (real time) saw a message that he will destroy everything in seven days (ALFA time), and we saw probably the same message a few days ago (real time), wouldn't he have started already? Seven days (ALFA time) must have past since last Tuesday (real time).
    This plot also involves too many characters, and non of them know the entire story. Not even the man in charge, Rem Stoneybrook a.k.a. Sir Belisarius knows it all (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been thinking about forgetting this all and starting with a new character, also in Daggerdale. But like Aendhiir, I haven't had the best rest in the last few days.

On the bright side, I met Mathetais online today. It made me realize something; I really need to change my name from Silverblade to something else, but let's not start that discussion here. If you are looking for me on the ALFA message boards, I'm not this guy called Slail Silverblade, but I am registered as Mesmero.

[ July 14, 2003, 00:21: Message edited by: Silverblade ]

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Gothmog, you don't get more XP for the same job if you're higher in level. Actually I believe you eventually get less (based on what Rem gets for solo killing ants at his level vs. what I get). What ALFA has done is if you're in a party, the total XP is split among the group, with the higher level characters getting a bigger percentage of the total.

20. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] When you become more involved in the storyline, levelling becomes less of an issue. Sure, it's nice to gain more power...But I don't log in hoping to level.

I usually just walk around talking to people...and things just seem to happen. I go out hunting/patrolling with Hallen when things are slow...But for the most part, I just wander Dagger Falls looking for buyers for my unique/hard to find weapons and gear.

I actually had a banner day in sales yesterday! So much so, I was able to purchase 2 very nice crossbows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.