1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA adventures

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

(( not topic related, but I felt I should post it anyway))

Okay. due to the fact that the harddrive on our PC is full. I was forced to uninstall NWN. I had just got Tae to lvl 2 aswell...

Anyway, I won't be able to play for some time. *cries*

But I shall enjoy reading everyones adventures :)

*side note* anyone know if multiplayed characters are saved?

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

They should be saved in the server vault. They won't let us save them on our computers ... or else we might edit them :evil:

So, when your are back, Tae should be waiting for you!

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hallen scribbles into his journal

It was a bad two days. At least they ended with a few good results.

They started inocuously enough when I joined the campfire outside the River Gate where Aramis and Toli were already sitting. A little chitchat and Aramis was pulled away by that Lukis for some private talk just as Merry walked up. I worry for Aramis; he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and I'm afraid he's being taken advantage of in all these private chats I see him involved in.

Merry seemed unusually worried as he ask me and Toli whether we had seen Hignar lately. We both responded negatively, and this just seemed to agitate Merry even further. Toli professed boredom and headed to Whitechalk to see if he could find some Dwarven kin to hunt orcs with, and Merry yelled after him to tell Hignar that he needed to talk with him.

This seemed very strange to me, noting the almost desperate tone in Merry, so I attempted to pursue what was going on, but Merry would not speak of it. Or, perhaps I should say Merry COULD not speak of it; any attempt seemed to cleave his tongue to the roof of his mouth and his breathing became ragged! From what I could gather, Merry was seeking Hignar because he believed Hignar was under some sort of geas, and that he could somehow help Merry. That is as much as Merry could speak on the matter... very strange indeed, and I began to suspect some dark magic was involved.

At this point I offered to help Merry look for Hignar; the Dwarves are always out hunting orcs, so I suggested we go out into the Tesh Valley and see if we could either find Hignar or someone who knew where he was.

We entered the Tesh Valley and eventually ran across a couple of Orc bands near where the Mountain Man is always returning, which we dispatched with ease. Seeing as how it was unlikely that these Orcs would be alive if the Dwarves had passed by, Merry and I decided to go back to Whitechalk and wait to see if any Dwarves passed through.

As we waited at a campfire outside the barn, Ragnar and then Dralin appeared. Neither had seen Hignar, and didn't know where he might be, but they also thought that the likeliest place would be in the Tesh Valley, or maybe at the Elemental Tower. We banded together to go looking for Hignar for Merry's sake (though I think the Dwarves just wanted to relieve their boredom), and we slew several bands of Orcs along the way.

This is when things started to go badly. We eventually ran across Bugbears, and one group seemed unusually powerful. Bolt after bolt slammed into me, the poison in them taking its toll on my wracked body, but we prevailed over the lot of them in the end. I was badly wounded and poisoned, and Ragnar had already spent most of his healing power on the others, but he was able to make me feel somewhat better.

As we searched the remains of our fallen enemy, I spied a corpse among the fallen Bugbears, and ran over to see who it might be. Well, who else was it than the object of our search: Hignar! "Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t!" I heard Merry chant like some kind of hopeless mantra, and I could see the desperation growing in his eyes. I picked up Hignar, ready to make the long, slow trek back to civilization, but the two dwarves said, if Hignar was here, Babras would not be far behind, and we must search for him.

We all headed in different directions, the dwarves searching farther towards the Elemental Tower, while I probed around the entrance of a cave nearby and Merry looked around down below. Merry and I came up empty, and soon Ragnar came back also empty handed, so Ragnar picked up Hignar's body and we began to make our way back to town.

We had only gone a short ways when Dralin ran up and said he had found Babras' body lying unconscious amidst several Water Elementals near the Elemental Tower! We were all in bad shape, but we couldn't just leave Babras out there to die! We were able to fight our way to Babras' side, but did not have sufficient healing ability to be able to revive him, and I spied an evil Sorcerer in the distance who kept sending more and more Elementals after us.

The Dwarves told Merry to run back to town to get a healing potion to revive Babras, but he seemed reluctant to go alone, so I volunteered. I was still in bad shape from the Bugbear battle, but I ran as best I could. Halfway back to Whitechalk, I ran into Toli, Hignar(!) and another Dwarf that I had not seen before. As I ran up to them this Dwarf challenged me, asking who I was. Ignoring him, I yelled that Babras was near death, and someone handed me a healing potion. Not pausing for any pleasantries or to ask how it was that Hignar was now among the living, I immediately turned and ran back toward where Babras lay, though I believe the three Dwarves followed.

I ran all the way back to Babras' unconscious body and poured the potion between his lips. As his eyes fluttered open, he yelled "Behind you!". In my haste I had not seen the three Elementals chase after me. Again we battled Elementals as Toli, Hignar and this other Dwarf joined with us, and they were dispatched in short order.

I was all for beating a hasty retreat at this point since two of the Dwarves were just newly out of their deathbeds, and I was in pretty bad shape, but this new Dwarf immediately ran over to where the Sorcerer was and attacked him! Not being one to leave a comrade to fight alone I entered the fray along with Toli. Destructive magic was thrown about by the foul Sorcerer. and I was hit with some kind of acid ball just as he fell that nearly took my life from me, but we were victorious once again!

We headed back to Whitechalk for an ale in the inn there and I was just getting the details of how it was Hignar was among the living, when Toli burst in yelling that Whitechalk was under attack! Groaning, I lifted my beaten and battered body out of my comfortable seat and assisted in Whitechalk's defense for the second time.

The second attack on Whitechalk was much the same as the last time... probes from every direction, Orcs scaling the walls on one side, Bugbears scaling the other, Orcs battering down the gates; but we had a large force and were able to turn back every attack.

With the coming of the dawn, I collapsed in a heap from exhaustion and my wounds, and know not what may have happened after that other than what was in my dreams.

[EDIT]
    Oh, if anyone wants to post this on the ALFA boards, feel free; I can't get to them from work...

[ June 26, 2003, 18:14: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Posted it Here

Sorry to bail last night. I'm kicking myself, while wondering if I would have lived!

Real life sucks ... the fact that you need SLEEP in real life sucks worse! ;) :good:

Especially when you are "Officially"
    ;) :lol:

[ June 26, 2003, 18:34: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Great story! I wigged ut when you said Hignar and Babras were dead!!!

6. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

It was a wild night, I'm glad Merry's secret is finally out, the worst part was that Eso and Cor hadn't shared that part of my bio with Mil and Thingrey so I ended up having to run it through again for them. I had this happen before on TVS when I'd asked Alby if I could do something and he hadn't passed the info along. So my advice from this is, if your doing something special with your character, make sure you let all the DMs on the server know what's up.

7. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*cries* istening to all this really makes me wanna install NWN again... I will force my father too.

*sorry, its slightly off topic again*

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Capt. Merry, maybe I missed it, but was was your secret? :confused:

By the way, I've seen you walk around, but Merry & Aramis have never talked. We'll need to work on that!

9. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well the secret isn't well known yet, Hallen should be able to figure it out, a couple of the Dwarves have figured it out, Hignar and Toli. Bel got the most massive hint on a certain cross-server run (I wasn't metagaming about my knowledge). Talk to Merry and pay attention to what he says and how he says it. I'm starting to get an understanding of why DMs get so pissed at PCs, you hit them with a clue-by-four three or four times and no-body gets it.( I include myself in this catagory, I've gotten a couple of Tells from DMs asking why I didn't react to a situation they had given me)

10. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] That was three freaking o'clock in the morning...and 3 weeks ago...How am I supposed to remember that?!?!?!?

But I think I know now...

11. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] 3rd rule of DMing: Players are always dumber than you could imagine.
    4th rule of DMing: Players are always smarter than you could imagine.

Players will often exhibit both types of behaviour on the same night!

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] 3 o'clock in the morning ... I was there last night ... being dumber than you could possibly imagine. ;)

How did my orc hunt turn into an encounter with a drow assassin? Despite being called a coward and false friend, I still think not attacking was smart of me.

Any opinions? http://www.alandfaraway.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10067

----
    Aramis sat by the fire telling the tale that still fills him with dread.

A week ago, I went to the crypts to investigate those rumors I told you about. Met up with Ania (a female ranger) and Hingar (with his head sewed back on). There were no zombies, so we decided to hunt orcs.

Just outside of White Chalk, we met Falling Leaf and Lukis. After some brief talking, we joined up and were about to head to the Tesh Valley when Hingar thought he saw something. We looked around, dismissed it, then continued. I was the last one to leave, and this time I saw a cloaked woman with two knives held ready. I panicked, called the team together, and we looked around.

This time the woman stood to talk. She was Kaylar, assassin of the drow (the same that took down Lord Helmet and Aiden). Her and Hingar had some unfinished business ... seems that she raised Hingar after Hallen's bug-bear incident.

Then Falling Leaf ate a spider out of the grass, and told her to "choke on a bone". She marked him for death, so he opened fire.

I looked to the more experienced Lukis and Hingar for direction, but both told me to stay my hand. I wanted to help my friend, but was filled with fear as well.

They battled briefly, then she chased him off.

As my senses reeled, Babras walked up. We began discussing the drow, and he spoke that the Ironstar dwarves would not get involved in Lord Morn's war. They would offer non-aggression to the Lothian drow.

I mentioned that the Circle held a similar stance, but that I was told to take down any drow within my means. Non-aggression was not mentioned.

The cloaked woman appeared just them, professing to have heard our conversation. She and Babras conferred for a long time, the result of which is that she will not attack Daggersprings, and I am to seek more clarity in the circles orders towards the drow factions.

All in all it was a harrowing experience. I'm left with two questions;

1) Should I have stood with Falling Leaf, even if it meant my death?

2) Did I do damage to the circle with my words.

[ June 27, 2003, 17:16: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

13. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I don't know if this is the right topic to post this...

I just recieved the e-mail that I was finally exepted into ALFA. I had to wait two weeks on the reply, but it was worth the waiting.

So, what is a good time to play on the Daggerdale server, when are most players and DM's online?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    It's tough to say...There are always people on though. I'm usually online from 2000-2300 (I am GMT -4)

15. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Go to members login then Beta list and you can see which servers are up and how many are playing. Whenever you log into DD there seem to be at least 4 on. ;)

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Welcome to the addiction! Let us know who you are playing ... I finally got to team up with Capt Tripps last night. He saw me get turned into a pin cushion by a group of tough lizardmen. Thank goodness for that drow Lukis ;)

A little story from before the lizardmen incident ....

Aramis shakes as he walks into the Red Rock, glad to see that few of his fellow adventurers are around to take a chance for the bounty, or (worse right now) to talk. Slamming a bottle of dwarf spirits, then ordering another, he put his back to the wall and let the warmth of the fire seep into his chilled bones.

He had wandered into the cemetery, then into the crypts. There were no disturbed graves, nothing out of the ordinary. Going down one long hall, he easily dispatched two zombies. Heading east, he entered the next long hall. Sighting two more zombies he positioned himself ... when the door slammed and locked behind him. Figuring there would be a release lever or that the zombies might have the key, he focused again on the kill. This time, however, as he narrowed his eyes to fire, he noticed a crowd. The hall was filled with zombies, shambling towards him. Drawing on newly found divine powers, he called a dire boar to stand between him and the mass of undead. Firing arrows as quickly as he could, he lost count of the things as they fell to his arrows and the boars tusks. Soon the boar fell beneath their weight. Running and firing, Aramis fled further down the hall, into another crowd. Another boar was called upon, the last he could summon. Running, using the niches of the crypt for cover, he wheeled and fired until, finally, the last of the creatures fell with an arrow in his eye.

Searching the hall, he found no latch, no key. He returned to the locked door and hammered at it with his mace, to no avail. Panic rose like bile in his throat as he looked at the fallen undead. Would they rise again? Would worse things crawl into the crypt? How long could he live without food or water ... probably without sleep?

As he paused his attack on the door to think, he heard the latch open. Hoping that luck had brought assistance, he sprang from the crypt to greet his savior. The words, "Thanks, I am Aramis" died on his lips as he saw a skeletal figure, clad in black and carrying a burning red staff.

Shuffling his feet, looking for exits, the plucky ranger bided his time with words. "What brings you down here? Not sure we've met" and other blabbering poured from his lips.

Then a voice that sounded like a dagger of ice scratching granite asked, "What brings you here? Have you come to see why the undead are so troubled here?"

Lying, Aramis responded, "No, nothing of the sort. I had heard a few ghost stories about things upside, and my investigations brought me down here."

Red eyes fixed on Aramis' green orbs and the dark clad figure said, "Unless you want to be the first of my new undead army ... flee!"

He ran through the first door, and slammed it shut behind him. Taking to the shadows, he fought the desire to flee, closing doors behind him, then pausing as he heard them opened one at a time behind him. The thing was following ...

Aramis continued to the exit of the crypt, smelling the fresh air and feeling the daylight outside. Emboldened by the daylight, he paused and waited for this dead-seeming necromancer. "As I'm leaving, is there anything I should ..." His words were cut short as the being began to chant a mystic evocation, which sounded alot like the one for fireball.

Turning on his heels, he ran from the crypt, down the path, until he bumped into a group of hins and dwarves headed in that direction. "I wouldn't go down there if I were you ..."

17. Mesmero

I'm playing with a human cleric, called Beofar Hornstar. He might be recognisable by the brown armor and helmet he is wearing.

I just had my first ALFA experience and it was fun. I did some quests for Lord Morn, just to get started and a spellcaster called Satina (I think. It has only been a few minutes and I already forgot her name) was kind enough to help me. Most of the other players I encountered were nice and helpfull. To bad I couldn't stay on longer, I still had one more quest to finish, but perhaps I'll be on tonight again. If I am on tonight it won't be any earlier than 11 CET (+1 GMT).

Anyway, I'm looking forward meeting some of you on ALFA, some time.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tehehe. So you finally went to see about the graveyard eh? Too bad my last character died; his racial enemy was the undead.

19. Mesmero

:coffee:

Math, you were right, it is an addiction. Once you pop, you can't stop.

I was on last night, playing with my new character. I teamed up with this Satine again, it seems like she also recently died, but she started playing again with the same character. When I die, I plan to play with a new character, every time. My new character also died yesterday, but luckily, Satine was around to save me. Together with Satine and a gnome named Bado, I did a few quests. I came across the body of Beofar, which Satine tried to heal. I didn't want to spoil the mood, by saying that he was my old character, who died foolishly, thinking he could take on a powerful enemy by himself.

I won't be on tonight, I have a game of PnP D&D, but maybe I'll encounter some SPers tomorrow. (If you are still in Daggerdale.) If you encounter a young half-elf bard, with green hair, say 'hi', and if you give me a coin, I might sing a song for you. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that his name is Aendhiir, but there can't be that many green haired elves in the Forgotten Realms. :rolleyes:

[ July 02, 2003, 13:01: Message edited by: Silverblade ]

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I am a green-haird elf ... with horns.

Thank you for asking! ;)

I am also an elvish pin-cushion.

It all happpened (cue story music) ....

when Hallen (BTA), a young druid with an "A" name and I hooked up with some dwarves for some "semi-safe" orc hunting. I ran to find Merry, and we charged into the night.

Rungar descided orcs were too light for his pickings, so he marched directly south to the lair of the Lizardmen. We battled a few successfully, but then another group appeared across the river. I fired upon them, hoping my comrads would charge, but as they moved into the fray, many poisoned arrows pirced my flesh. Borax Soulcleaner brought me back to consiousness urging me to flee ... but everything was in slow motion. I tried to run, but it seemed my legs would not move. More arrows pierced me, and I died before hitting the ground.

My comrads avenged my death upon the lizards, and for nine hours carried my body in silent vigil to the priestess in Daggerdale. There they pooled their money (after searching my pockets for gold) and paid to raise me from the dead.

Aramis is now a bit more hesitent, wondering why is prayers go unanswered, and in debt to many friends. He's also glad they just didn't descide to collect the 100 gold bounty on his head!

(ooc ... I'm knocked back down to first level, but just over half way to second ... special thanks go out BTA & Capt. Tripps (Merry) for both the coin, and the trip back to town. I'll be more careful of those arrows next time Capt! ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.