1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALERT: If you want to keep Deekin in Chapter 3 - Cania... (HotU)

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Taluntain, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yesterday I've wasted an hour of my time on a bug remaining in the last available NWN patch, so I'm suitably incensed.

I'm going to keep this as spoiler-free as possible for those of you who haven't played this far yet, but if you've had Deekin with you throughout Chapter 2 of Hordes of the Underdark, it's very likely you'll want to keep him in Chapter 3 as well. The problem is, if Deekin is not killed or removed from your party during Chapter 2 at least once, you will not be able to get him back into your party in Chapter 3. Yep, no way, no how. There is no fix for this glaring bug.

Since I had Valen along with me Deekin practically never got into the line of fire, so he never died for me in Chapter 2, and I've had no reason to remove him from my party either. Imagine my surprise after finally finishing all the Chapter 2 end battles, having a long talk with the Reaper in the beginning of Chapter 3, and then finding out that I'm only able to recruit Valen again, but not Deekin. !""$$#"&%$#W/%$E/&$(&$(&$489!

At first I thought I'd be able to later, so I played a bit further, but still no option. Then I made a few searches and found out a number of posts on various forums describing my situation exactly.

The only solution was to reload the last savegame I had in Chapter 2, and get Deekin killed or removed from my party. I've simply removed and recruited him again, then played through to the Chapter 3 again, and it worked. I was then able to have Deekin in Chapter 3 as well.

But to have such an incredibly annoying bug left with the near-final patch is unbelievable. BioWare didn't even bother to provide a hotfix. I guess most people who didn't know that this is a bug simply continued Chapter 3 without Deekin, but since he complemented my party nicely, I wasn't about to continue without him.

Anyway, I'm making this post a sticky - hopefully it'll save someone the time I've wasted needlessly.

sestritsaA likes this.
  2. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Interesting.

I have played the game twice with Deekin. Last time was about 2 months ago with the latest awailable patch. I didn't experience the problem you are mentioning?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, if he's died or been removed from your party at least once during Chapter 2, you won't see this issue. Only if that doesn't happen does this bug come up. Unless you're 100% sure that he's never died or been removed from your party during Chapter 2?

4. Ironhawk Skylord

He probably died during Chapter 2. I can't remember that, but that would explain it.

I know I didn't remove him. For me he is a valuable and funny henchman :)

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, if you remove anyone from the party you can add them right back again, so it's not an issue if you need to do it for any reason.

6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Interesting info. I guess I was lucky that Deekin and Valen died in one of my Chapter 2 battles. Thanks for the heads up Tal.

7. Ironhawk Skylord

Yes, thank you. :)

8. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tal, Kudos for never killing Deekin throughout that entire chapter, there's a whole lotta battle in that thar chappy!

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, he's died plenty of times, but usually in such battles where I reloaded anyway because a change of strategy would work out much better...

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I ended up continuing without Deekin :(. I figured I was being punished by the gods, or something. BUT. If I ever find time to play HoTU again, I'll be in good shape to keep the little rat thing in my party!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.