1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Al Gore - Could he be the Next Prez?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sorry, I don't think you are correct here. He is postioning himself quite well, despite the conventional wisdom that Hillary has it just about all but locked up. I can see your point that he was Bill's VP and all, and that it would be strange to see a Clinton vs Gore situation.

Nevertheless, there is a grass-roots movement building for Gore to challenge her, and I will work on his campaign if he decides to take on the powers within the DMC, AND work against the Republicans in 2008. It's not that I dislike Hillary; it's just that her pro-war stance has moved her too far to the right for me, and other liberals and progressives, to feel comfortable with her, especially since Gore is more of what we are looking for in a candidate.

[ May 10, 2006, 06:37: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    So I walked into the bookstore today, and what do I see jumping out at me from the new hardback shelf? "Hillary will be the next president, unless..."

From the guy who wrote "Rush Nation," so I kinda doubt it's pro-Hillary. Ye olde smearing has already started, nice and early.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Considering I know little about the political scheming in America and so forth. Gore seems an alright kind of guy since the only negative stuff I hear about him is his claim of inventing the internet which was obviously a slip of the tongue.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, Gore never said he "invented" the internet. What he said was that one of things he was most proud of as a senator was taking the initiative in creating the internet. In other words, Gore was part of the push to fund the fledgling interweb, a network pretty much only used by colleges, in order to make it available for and useable by the public. When Gore said he created the internet, he didn't mean that he invented it. He was saying that he funded it.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The exact quote:
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Not that it matters...he's craaaazy. Or so says the right.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's a good point. I have seen that quote before, and when you really think about it, if you are responsible for getting a whole lot of funding for a certain project (in this case the project was expanding the internet from a military application to general use) then in fact you ARE instrumental in the creation of such a system. I will admit that he could of phrased his words a hell of a lot better, but it wasn't like his statement was purely ficticious.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31

So in other words Gore is saying he's proud because he helped get the internet to what it is today? And it's true? He was a major player in improving the status of the internet?

I'm starting to like him more and more.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Basically yes, Abom. He didn't engineer it, or lay down any copper wiring for it, so he didn't literally create the internet, nor was the idea of the internet a product of his own mind. But he was a major player in providing funding to make the internet what it is today, and in that regard, he was instrumental in its creation. To me, his quote is inaccurate in the literal sense, but it is just as false to interperet his quote as a total lie, and think he had nothing to do with the public use of the internet.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm...
    ...well, then again maybe he won't get that nomination. :(

Most of that article is about how bad Bush sucks and how Dems are gaining immense ground in the public eye, but scroll to the bottom for this bit.

I guess the message here is pretty clear. In the eyes of most Americans, once you're a "loser," you'll always be. Then again, I lost an immense amount of respect for both just for losing to the monkey boy, so, that's probably a big factor too.

[ May 10, 2006, 18:25: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

10. Drew

Media:
    They really didn't lose to Bush. They lost to Rove.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Gore did not really lose at all - he was burned by the Supreme Court. I guess it pays to own one...Give Gore a chance to get his message out there. We've had 6 years of the "Bush message;" give someone else a chance to do a bit better.

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    That's what I'm saying - I don't think he'll get much of a chance to get any message out effectively. People have already formed a pretty strong opinion of him (negatively) if these poll results mean anything.

13. Drew

Media:
    Given that Gore isn't actually the democratic candidate yet, and that most people have not been following what he's been doing since his defeat in 2000, I'd say that any poll information about Gore would be mostly useless at the moment. If Gore started running, early perspectives about him would begin to be challenged.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The most interesting thing to see in the next two years is actually who is going to survive the winnowing process of the primaries. If the poll is accurate, then there's no way that either Kerry or Gore will win the nomination. And that's what's disappointing here - while I think Hillary is not the best canidate the Democrats could run, I think she currently has the best shot at winning the nomination.

15. Drew

Media:
    Much to my chagrin. If the democrats are stupid enough to run another quasi pro-war candidate, they will lose again. The dems need to run someone who was against the war and is still against it. If they did that, perhaps progressives wouldn't feel so disenfranchised.

16. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What's scary is that Hillary may win the nomination and lose the general elections (as Drew said). She is not such an exciting candidate for the Democratic base, while the feelings she evokes among the Republicans are very strong. She should wait for another round, I'd say :)

And I would think that in the coming election, the independents will not go for the same bs they went for in 2000. IIRC, nobody seriously doubted Gore's competency (beside the obviously partisan), it was more of a matter of demeanor. Well, after 8 years of having the party boy in the office, hopefully people have learned something. (Or maybe I am too optimistic).

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    That's a very easy trap to fall into...take it from me. I voted for Nader in 2000 because I was sure Gore would win (stupid protest vote) and was 100% sure Kerry would win 2004. I was running on pure sunny optimism, and I was painfully wrong both times. After people actually bought the Swift Boat crap and Mr. "Nukyalur" was rewarded by the American people for his baffoonery with yet another round of failure, well...let's just say nothing surprises me anymore. :rolleyes:

As the Dread Pirate Roberts said, "Get used to disappointment."

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It seems Hillary's shift to the right has made her some new friends. It's really quite strange, but it is another reason why it's important for Gore to be in the race.

I never thought I would live to see the day...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12762092/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.