1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Age of Wonders 2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by AlexGK, May 23, 2003.

1. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What a blast!!!
    This game has so much potential, why, I mean, WHY so little respect in the making team for it's own game?Could have been the replacing of Heroes III, just my opinion.... Someone else that has seen it?

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I only played it a short time. But I played the first part very often, and I really loved it ! It was a great fun, nice story and cool strategie battles :)

3. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

It had one grievous mistake, easily noticable to anyone who had played the first game: your armies started within ranged attack distance from one another at the beginning of combat. In the first you had the opportunity to form up and strategically place your units and whatnot, now it's just a mad rush for the gates.

Also heroes are still to godly on thier own. They can handily defeat most armies on thier own.

Overall, however, It was still a pretty good game, one I hope there is a third installation of. In the meantime, I'll be playing Heroes or Might and Magic IV. :)

4. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

@Alex,
    Pity for you man, Heroes 4.... this is even worse....
    One more thing - strange, but they left shooters to shoot at hand-to-hand range in the AoW 2 too.Wonder how do they do that...

@Alex PS:You play Heroes IV and complain of the heroes'es godlike ability to crash armys.I remember one hero of mine killing 24 Black Dragons in one battle alone.... No hero in AoW 2 can do that.Even against 3-4 Dragons is not sure regardless what hero you have.

OK, OK, OK, I'll stop complaining about Heroes IV.Got even that far to say AoW is better.... NWC and 3DO, what have you DONE?

5. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

You're going to have to explain how the hell you did that before I believe it. GF Combat skills are your only option and that shouldn't even get you close. (24?!) Twinked items perhaps? Granted, lone Order heroes might be an exception; attacking fortified targets perhaps as the computer is too stupid to leave the cover of it's walls while I create an illusionary army twice its size.

If memory serves, my level 30 or so hero could slaughter dragons with ease. However it has been far to long to be sure. If not then use nothing but your respective champion in large quantities, as there was never any reason to use anything less. It least in HoMM4 most of your units were useful, and using several of them was required.

Not to mention the memory leaks that abound in AoW2 that wreak havoc on my poor, memory challanged system. HoMM4 does not. Therefore, it wins.

6. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] @Alex,
    Of course I can.The hero was Edwin from the campaign.Nearly level 26 as i recall.Playin' on Impossible of course.Got the save somewhere in Bulgaria on my old PC.Not a problem to send hehe.No cheating, I hate this.Wasn't even a dark priest who has life stealing on top of all.As for it what are you gaining from the weakest units in heroes 4?They die far too easily to be worth the gold you give.Anyway it was only matter of feelings that i said Aow 2 is better, but to be true I can't say it's much worse as well.Untill heroes 5.....

7. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Oh ok, I wasn't considering campaign heroes as they're a bit different, and because I thought the campaigns sucked.

Levels 1s are your meat shields until you have a second magic! And some, like halflings and centaurs are definetly worth the next to nothing you pay for them once you have about 300+.

Can't go with personal taste here or else AoW2 would win as well. For whatever its flaws, it does 'look' way nicer than heroes. :)

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Downloaded the game half a year ago, but to this day I have played it only once. Disciples II might be the reason, for I found it much more interesting than HoMM or AoW.

Btw, do you know any good sites where one could download some music for this kind of games? I know only one: Over-clocked Remix

9. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] For sites I really don't know all I know is that I play Heroes III with part of the Heroes'es II music.Anyone who wants it - ask me.3 combat songs and the sorcerer's city song (were the best for me).Imho two of the Heroes'es III battle songs sucked.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.