1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Age differences in relationships.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jaguar, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Really? Does this mean that you consider masturbation to be wrong for minors? Or do you consider masturbation to be wrong for everyone?

But in the case of an actual parent the minor is in a situation of dependancy due to the parent being it's guardian.

If by "could be your parent" you mean an age difference of about 15 years or more then this is also true between for example a 50yo and a 30yo.

"Goodness", "proper", "right and wrong"... is that an argument in favor of conservating prejudice and taboos?
    How can one argue when the other side claims to have something as nebulous as "goodness" on his side? ;)

Sorry, my mistake.

My apologies for offending you.
    I used the "razz" smilie at the end of that sentence in an attempt to take the edge off, but I can see that I might have been a tad over the line there.
    You wrote:
    And I maintain that this is misinformation.

2. Alexander the Apostate Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Getting into deep stuff here. Morals are incredibly difficult to speak about, for me at least. What is right and wrong? I think that in most aspects right and wrong are defined by what society teaches us. However, to me right and wrong should be what we feel is right and wrong. Of course, then there are sociopaths (psychopaths?) who don't recognize right and wrong, so it just keeps going in circles.
    Sorry, off topic. What makes a minor not sexually developed? If they are of a mature mind and a fuctional body, I'd say that's pretty developed. I'm not saying I agree with the thought of a 15 year old dating a 45 year old, but it's none of my business. If one of them were related to me, then I might talk to them to make sure they knew what they were doing, but in the end it would be their decision.
    In choice, I mean choices over our own actions and thoughts (for the most part.)
    Generalized absolutes are unavoidable, of course (Red roses are always red,) but I prefer not to use them in moral discussions, since morals are rarely as simple as an absolute will make them.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

"morally reprehensible"? haha. i dunno, for me i guess what would matter more than anything were the circumstances. depends on the people, yknow. Also, no offense to the many that i'm sure this will include, If I were saaay 25? I'd probably stay away from girls below 18. They're jailbait buddy hehe. As it is though, I'm only 19 going on 20 and my own GF is only 5 months older, so feel free to bash at me because I probably have no idea what im talking about haha

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Fact is, you can go out with whoever you like and do whatever you both agree to do to each other as long as one of you isn't under your country's age of consent.

If one of the couple IS under the age of consent then they can do MANY things they both agree to do to each other but not ANYTHING. It hardly seems unreasonable for a government to place a law disallowing sex between a... 'voter' (what do you call someone who is over the age of consent?) and a minor. The government isn't saying "You can never have sex with this person!" it's simply telling you to wait till the government is 99% sure the minor knows what they are doing and the consequences of their actions.

It isn't right to say "I'm under the age but I'm mature, the law shouldn't apply to me!" because then you're demanding to be an exception to a law that is designed to protect people.

If two people love each other very much and they both know it then I'm sure they can wait a year or whatever till they can have sex. Not having sex isn't going to kill anyone and there isn't a law against masterbation.

I've always led a law-abiding life. I waited till myself and my partner were both over the age and found it made the experience better. We managed to form a bond greater than curiosity (and we didn't jump into the sack on her birthday thank you very much!).

5. ShaineCoradara Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG]
    *Wasn't saying that*
    Correct me if I'm copletely wrong, but that was kinda sorta directed at me, huh?

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Actually I think it was more directed towards ShaineCoradara.
    Ironically the youngest female to successfuly give birth was 8 years old - half the age of consent in most countries.

However, ability to reproduce and the ability to think for oneself are two different things. The problem with setting age limits on things is that not everyone matures at the same rate. There are 16 year olds who can consume alcohol and remain 'sober' far better than some 30 year olds. Yet some 20 year olds can't even handle two cans of beer. There are exceptions on both sides so the government must find the balance between both, the median or average if not the majority.

7. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    When I was 17 and 18 I dated a 42 year old man, that's an age difference of 23/24 years so quite big. I've (almost) always dated older men though, I like the feeling of being protected :)

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Don't know if it was or not, as I didn't write that, but the comment was well in place. What you said was perhaps not "the law shouldn't apply to me because I feel more mature than my age suggests", but it was more along the lines of "don't care about the law if you think you know what you're doing". There is some difference, but ultimately in both versions it comes down to ignoring the legal age of consent because you feel like it.

While sometimes it may be reasonable to ignore the law because you know better, the reaction that age of consent incites in this thread does a good service in proving how necessary it is to keep the ban. When the chief argument for having sex is "we want it, so we should get it", it clearly shows the persons in question need to mature a bit before having sex.

That's exactly the reason why age of consent was introduced: to protect people kids who think nothing should stop them from having sex if they want it, from themselves.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.