1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aerie/Imoen spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dorion Blackstar, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think I know the answer to this but I am halfway into TOB and it just dawning on me these two cant get ninth lvl spells aarrrggghh.
    Is this correct.

2. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

no.

They don't take intelligence into account when determining max spell level. Every mage can cast 9th level spells, regardless of int.

3. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Yes, but will you be able to level up Aerie high enough, that would be the question, no? She's a multi-class, remember.

4. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

You can simply drink a potion of genius or any other one that raises intelligence, scribe the spells, and voila, there you go :) . Or just give Imoen that +1 intelligence Ioul Stone(you can buy it from Lazarus Librarius in either Saradush or Amekthran) OR use the Machine of Lum the Mad to boost it for her. You could also use the Deck of Many Things with Imoen to raise her intelligence by one. Plenty of ways to get them 9th level spells, as you can see.

No, every mage can't get 9th level spell slots, they need 18 intelligence or more, read the manual.

Yes, Aerie can reach 18th level Mage and cast 9th level spells, but in order to scribe them you'll have to use one of the methods I listed.

[ January 28, 2003, 10:55: Message edited by: Lord Sarevok ]

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Or you can do it the lazy way like I did.
    Use ShadowKeeper to give all your mages Int = 19.
    They can learn all the spells then. *yawn*

6. Jurts Gems: 7/31

I gather that Aerie would need close to 3,000,000 to reach a mage level18, I am sure some of you know the exact number... anyways, in a full party I cannot see how you can get more than 6,000,000 per nose? Deck of Many Things might help, but in any case she will have her lvl9 spells so late in her career... hmm.

7. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, I didn't know their intelligence had to be 18 to cast lvl 9 spells. Oh well. Imoen's casting her 9 spells, so I'm happy. Ah, I must admit, there's nothing more satisfying then casting a Comet at your feet and watching as the enemies get burned and thrown away. *sighs wistfully*

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

According to AD&D rules, a mage requires 18 int to cast level 9 spells. However, this is not in the game. Aerie, Imoen, and Nalia can all cast level 9 spells despite the fact that none of them have the requisite inteligence.

9. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] But intelligence does affect the max. number of spells per level you can learn.
    So if you have just one little ol' Mage in your party like me, just set the int. to 19, or use a potion that raises int. when scribing scrolls.
    That way you can load your lone spellbook with every last spell to make sure you don't miss any you may later decide you want.

I keep Imoen busy. ;)

10. Jurts Gems: 7/31

Btw, you can of course raise your mage's INT via certain ioun stone and certain lum's machine :) Thus I have to 18 INT mages in Nalia and Immy, yay... btw, is there a benefit for having 19 INT?

11. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

As Aces said, with Int 19 there is no limit to the number of spells you can scribe per level. Also the higher your intelligence the lower chance you have of failing to scribe spells, but I'm not sure how high it needs to be to reduce this chance to zero.

12. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

1) There is a slight bonus of having 19 int, wlel maybe more than slight.

2) You can get to a stage that you would not fail to learn a spell, but i) that would have to be done by cheating and ii) i dont think there would be enough +INT eq out there in bG and ToB to give you that much INT.

As for points 1) and 2) I have the BG2 manual in front of me, and here is what you get from 18 INT onwards

Int: 18 19 20 21 22 23
    Maximum Spell Level: 9th 9th 9th 9th 9th 9th
    % to Learn Spell: 85 95 96 97 98 99
    Max # of Spells/Level: 18 All All All All All
    Lore Bonus: +10 +12 +15 +20 +25 +30

The highest Int is 25, which is 9th level, 100% chance to learn a spell and +40 lore. 24 Int is the same except five less lore points, but still 100% chance to learn.

So given you need 24 or 25 int, to not fail a spell, well, like I said I doubt it's possible to get that high an Int normally, it may be, I haven't got very far in ToB yet.

But if you're not playing Core rules, and the one difficulty level below that setting, the % chance to learn a spell column is totally ignored by BG2 and ToB. But otherwise, it's very slim odds of failing to memorise anything at 18 int, which is 85% chance, and 19 int, at 95% chance. As long as you don't try and learn a spell about 3 levels higher than you can memorise, as a guide line, you can't go wrong in memorising spells. Mainly because when you get to level 10, 11 etc, Level 1 to 3 and maybe a couple of other spell levels, you don't fail to memorise them into your spell book, because it is considered second nature to learn such low level spells, and is a tedious exercise under ad&d 2nd ed rules.

Hope all that helps.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.