1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Advice to today's youth

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My advice?

Take down the big one first.

And

The five second rule is always right.

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Another advice for them (or anyone):
    Don't always try to have a cocky followup to what someone else has said!!

I have lived with two people who did this. One was a previous flatmate. His follow-ups were quite funny at times but still annoying. The other is a current flatmate who gives derisory come-backs that make you just want to head-butt him (and i would if i could reach - he's considerably taller than me).

For me, that is an easy way to keep friends.

3. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Let me now add some of my advice-
    1)Don't worry about this global warming thing. Despite what all the environmentalist wackos are saying, scientific evidence indicates the planet is actually getting colder over time, heading for another ice age. But in those cooling times, the earth has been shown to increase in temp at times
    2) Don't EVER get a credit card. Worst mistake you can make. Pay cash for all your shopping, have a checking account with a VISA checkcard for bills and if you ever have to rent a car, hotel room, etc.
    3) Wait till you get married to have sex. I'm serious. I did and it was one of the best things I have ever done. The best things come to those who wait.
    4) Plan to start investing by the time you are 21.
    5) If you live in a country were you can vote in an election, do it. There is nothing more I hate then someone complaining about how the country is run and when I ask them if they vote, they say no. Your one voice can and will make a difference.
    6) Recycle. There is actually enough paper and wood in this world that if even half the population of the world recycled, we would never have to cut down another tree.
    7) Stay in school. Go as far as possible, STAY IN SCHOOL!
    8) Don't do drugs, smoke or drink excessively. And if you do drink, don't drink and drive.
    9) Respect your parents. Dispite what you may believe, they know what they are talking about. They've been in your shoes before.
    10) Learn to look at people for what they are on the inside. Don't judge someone because they are different then you.
    11) Whatever you do, for God's sake, register at SP!
    12) If you spill hot coffee in your lap in the drive through, don't sue. Its your own damn fault.
    13) Learn to be able to laugh at life and take things in stride. Remember what the great Jimmy Buffet once said, "If we didn't laugh, we'd all go insane."

"He was born to love you, when he heard you sing..."

[ January 24, 2003, 12:22: Message edited by: Elios ]

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, let's see... What would I say?

Read more and learn from what you learn.

I think that should suffice for now.

(THe loony lady of Loony land)

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Play Baldur's Gate, now!

[ January 24, 2003, 12:14: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

6. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Heh...since I am only 13 (soon 14 :p ) I'll just have to go with some quotes that I have read:
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.
    Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it enkindles the great.
    It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and an even bigger one to keep his mouth shut when he's right.
    Okay, enough with quotes for today!

*I will be back... Muahahahahahaw!*

7. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Above all else, to thine own self be true!

Learn to hear your inner voice.
    Learn to love yourself,
    never fear loving another.

You have within yourself the power to create the world in which you live, never give away this power.

Learn to be grateful for this gift of life.

I could go on and on...

But the biggest message I hope to pass on successfully to my daughter is that she is loved.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My best advice is to not take things so damn seriously! Things work out one way or another, never sacrifice your life following one goal blindly but try out as much as possible. You never know what you really end up doing. Oh and never be afraid to change your stance on things, nothing is worse than people stubbornly and blindly stick to something even in the face of overwhelming evidence (and I am not really talking religion here). The changing stance goes for other things as well, you must do what feels right for you, not what feels right for parents/culture/society/whatever. As long as it isnt obviously stupid and dangerous stuff of course. So if you had planned to wait with sex until marriage but then you meet this great person that you love more than life and have a brilliant time with him/her but marriage not being an option at the moment, bugger that and follow your heart and jump in the sack. It is love that matters not empty words in front of some official.

9. Aziraphale Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Time flows past faster as you get older.

Live like you will die tomorow,
    Study like you will live forever.

Lean from anyone you can. Respect your teacher.

10. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Follow the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

11. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would have to say to the kid to always keep an open mind and to treat others with the respect they deserve.

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Capstone: The greatest revelation of my life was when I realised just how wrong that claim was. If you treat others as you wish to be treated, you treat them in a friendly, kind, caring, helping and understanding manner. And that will lead people to use you, despise you, and mock you.

Respect. It is the most important thing when socializing with other people. Respect always contains a portion of admiration and fear. Admiration might come throught being kind and friendly, but to make them fear you, you need to show that you are not someone they'd like to act against them. Only when these both are in check, they will treat you with respect, understand and accept your opinions, and trust your advice.

It's different with friends, but with common people this is the only way.

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    1. Be skeptic
    2. Think for yourself (as far as an 12yo can think)

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The best piece of advice you can give kiddies these days is simple:

Watch out for the VD

15. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

1. Always think for yourself and don't let the opinions and beliefs of others dictate your actions.
    2. Understand that life is not fair or just and enjoy things in the way they are.

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Find your voice.
    When you do something, do it with a soul.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would tell a kid under 12 that pretty soon they're going to realize, if they haven't already, that adults are not always right. HOWEVER, that does not make them always wrong. They should LISTEN to the voice of experience, even if it isn't what they want to hear. I would also mentione that if adults are so stupid, then they really have a poor future ahead of them because they are going to end up stupid too!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.