1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Adventurous first person games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enthasius, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Anyone feel that there aren't enough of these?

If you don't know what I mean, I'm talkig about game's like Thief I, II and (drool's in anticipation :bigeyes: ) Thief III. Morrowind is aslo a liekly candidate

Other semi adventurous one's are Deus Ex, No one live's forever 2 (to a degree) and Alien Vs predator (due to tha ability to play as an Alien and a predator as well as the basic marine)

Unfortunatly most of the first person games out there are too much along the line's of "Oh look, a better weapon, lets go blow up something with it. Oh look, a small puzzle, easily accomplishable by finding a fuze or something. Oh look, a boss type being, who is mysteriosly tougher than the other enemies, although later, I will be fighting these enemies as normal, as I have a even better weapon

I like FPS, really I do, its just that it always come's down to the same kind of mindless action. Anyone feel the same? Anyone dissagree, and think that the FPS world is getting too adventurous, or maybe your in between, feeling that it is adventurous enough?

Your views, as per usual, are awaited. Also, try to say wat you loved in FPS which would make a really good game if combined. Im sure you catch my drift.

2. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Metroid Prime just came out.

3. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

:p and......what make's it so cool, and what parts could be removed, combined with others to create a truely different FPS experience.

Im pretty sure I asked for people to do that....oh well

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You forgot to mention Medal of honor, allied assault, one of my favourites.

5. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yes, what about Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or Jedi Outcast which really added some new flavor to the FPS genre. Actually, I think that Jedi Outcast could be considered a first person adventure game.

6. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Are you just reading the topic or are you reading my message?

I don't just want names, I want what makes these games a break from the mould. Different ideas which these games boasted.

7. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have no idea.... but you can try the Hexen games, they have some really good in-game puzzles..

8. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

If you cannot think of groundbreaking FP games, then you can just say what you would like in them, like cool little abilities, or equipment that actually has a fairly varied use.

Im not going to let this thread die without hearing some suggestions.

Example: A functioning grappling hook, which can catch onto anything which has a bar or poles in its design (fences, handrails, balcony safety rails)

Catching my drift people? C'mon, I'll bet some of you are brimming with smart and snazzy ideas.

[ December 05, 2002, 20:01: Message edited by: Enthasius ]

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    System Shock 2: Combined RPG/adventure elements (think Deus Ex) with a horror setting that worked. Oh, yes, and crazed supercomputers, and the ghosts of crew people reliving their final moments, and the creepy monsters, and the...well, it's good stuff.

Jedi Outcast 2 was good because it added simple to use melee combat

[ December 06, 2002, 06:50: Message edited by: AMaster ]

10. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Where is the role playing element when you control your characterS (not only one) moving around and view them like God view you?

To me, the ultimate RPG would be first person. Something like, you can only control yourself, your view is limited, you have friends help you along the way but you can't really control them, you can only interact with them so that you all can work as a group. Also, with elements like infinte interations with NPC and objects. This kind of game is very hard to design. So unless we have better processor and people/company who are willing to spend years and years to make a game...

There is a trend that first person shooting games are moving towards adventurous. As we move further, people won't be satisfy easily. You expect people to buy a game with just fancy graphic and fancy guns?

First, a FPS game must come with a good story. i think no one will be indulged with aliens attack earth, i kill aliens and save earth type of story anymore.
    Second, there is at least 2 ways to finish a level.
    Third, the character must have some skill development along the way. Combine 2nd and 3rd, different people with different character will have different ways to complete a level.
    Fourth, AI. Well, you get this in pretty much other famous FPS games. Different enemis with different style of killing you will make you use different techniques to finish them.

Right now, due to financial, technical and mental constrains, no one is willing to do such game (the ultimate rpg that i mentioned). SO we can only wait and hope that it release before we die. (Well, we do play games until we are very old right?) (errrmmm, my cultures tells me that when i die, i will go to hell and wait for reincarnation. Meanwhile, my children can burn paper money, paper cars, paper computers, etc so i can use them when i stay there, so i still have a chance to play games after i die.)

11. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I always thought that dark forces 2: jedi knight was ground breaking. A FPS with force powers. Plus, all the mods you could get it was kewl (little mods like GRAPPLING HOOK).

I agree on the thief comments. I just love the way how most of your weapons affect the way you play the game. I never really use things like moss arrows and the like but love the way you can change the environment around you with these 'tools' rather than go in hack and slash.

Although, dont get me wrong, hack and slash is good, but sneaky sneaky is a more refined talent.

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

How about Deus Ex, or Morrowind...

13. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] I tell you what. How about we all read the question before just quoting what games we are playing at the moment/have played recently, expecting us to be able to read your minds and know exactly what point you are trying to get across.

You will find there is an explicit aim that the opening post is asking. Comon', tell us something more than just the name of the game. I have tried with a couple of my favoured games, maybe haven't succeded but at least i have tried.

Hey, Enthusius: Don't you sometimes feel you are banging your head against a brick wall :bang: ?

[ December 10, 2002, 13:39: Message edited by: Intentioner of the Damned ]

14. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oh pipe down ya grouch. ;)

[ December 11, 2002, 19:56: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, Schisen.

I *was* going to say Thief 1 and 2. And talk about some of the levels.

That one got shot down.

And I was thinking Deus Ex was *kinda*, and that one got shot down.

I'm batting 1.000 here.

The Tomb Raider are adventurous, but they aren't first person. Prince of Persia 3d probably is, but I've not played it; the first two Princes were very adventurous.

Other than that, Zelda64 can be "first person" a little. Turok 1 and 2, a little. Decent 3, Freespace 2, and Wing Commander. Rogue Squadron.

Jedi Knight 2 is very adventurous, but only if you take off your headphones and leave the computer during the cutscenes. (they suck, Big Time)

16. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Yeah, I sometimes find that Intentioner, but at least im getting results now (after 3 posts telling people the idea of this post).

Good, we are starting to collect some data, and some interesting parts of the games which are trying to do their own thing.

I recently got Morrowwind (PC) as well as its add-on, and its good to see that it is a great deal of FP genres rolled into one. Ive still got to get REALLY into it (I played it for an hour, and then my brotyher kicked me off for a couple of days).

Still, RPG's are (IMO) still in an experimental phase, as linearity and non-linearity are still tewo seperate bases. Games now need to figure out a perfect blend for both, and if combined with the right perspective, graphics engine, innovation and story we might have a game to end all games.

Hmm, and interesting FP experience would be a modern day morrowind. It would probably be a little contriversial, seeing as it would probably have drugs and sex involved into the plot, but it could be a kind of in depth, realistic, First person 'Grand theft auto'

Regardless, I still prefer the old swords and sorcery style RPG.

17. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

appologies but i was getting frustrated keep comin back and not seeing more than flippant remarks.

Anyway, I'm not too sure if this comes under first person or RPG or other but Futurecop LAPD was pretty adventurous. It had a main goal for each mission and was kind of a step on from mechwarrior (not that i ever played mech so i could be wrong about that).

It seemed like a new idea to me and i still play precinct assault missions against the computer even now. The whole concept of buying tanks and choppers with your points was great.

[ December 12, 2002, 18:00: Message edited by: Intentioner of the Damned ]

18. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Man, this post died rather quickly. I assume people are too busy admiring other peoples ideas that making up good ones of there own.

C'mon people, loads of you must have really great ideas. I, personally, have occasionally said things like "Y'know what, if I ever make a game, I'd include a little air of freedom to the game, just so that the players can actually explore a little more. Lets say, create a whole town, where most of the action takes place, a la GTA, but make the FP perspective part interesting. Wall climbing is possible, and that you could be a house breaker or something." Sure a little contriversial, bu the heart is there.

The more ideas, the more people who are into making games might look and say "So THATS what the people want. Lets make a game with...included in it, to make it more of a cross between (insert two games here, an idea I would use would be Morrowwind and Thief 1&2, mission based, yet there is a highly varied way of completing a mission)

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Natural Selection, a Half-life mod. If you loved Aliens vs. predator, you´re gonna love this. This time it´s frontiers vs. aliens... Ok, what´s new? (1) Real teamwork required(at the side of frontiers), (2) commander, one of the players, really determines the life-span of his teammates. He gives them weapons, armor, healtpacks, ammo... (3) Aliens can evolve and are, mostly, hand-to-hand fighters -the opposite of frontiers. Gives some new flawor to the game... :)

Plus some other brand new ideas and a dozen of older ones (like selectable abilities that determine the "class" of an alien).

http://www.natural-selection.org

Yes, I know this is a multi-player game, but does it matter? It is an FPS... Ach, just try it.

[ December 20, 2002, 21:20: Message edited by: Virne ]

20. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Finally, a good post.

We need more, however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.