1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Addons

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Khazar, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Khazar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Has anything been said about an addon for NWN?
    I think horses and other rideable animals would be good for increased movement.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Geez, it'll be months before the game is released and you're already talking about an expansion? We don't even know all of the features of the game, let alone what's in Bioware's minds for an expansion...

But you can be pretty sure horses won't be it. Introducing something like horses would turn the whole game upside down, not to mention be pretty near impossible to do. You'd need animations for all characters on horses, combat on horses, traveling on horses, trying to go through doors on horses, etc etc. In short, highly unlikely.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 12, 2001).]

3. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

- Prestige Classes.
    - New feats.
    - Regional feats.
    - Data from Tome and Blood, and the other books.
    - New player races

Magnus

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

It's all about 3rd edition now and I heard the devellopers will make the game as much the same as 3rd edition as possible. So I suppose feats and options and rules will be like in 3rd edition D&D.

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Not the horse debate again. :shakes his head: Well, I won't get into it this time, but I have seen a CRPG advertised that did have horses, so I take that for whatever it's worth, and have at least softened my stance on what I think will and won't likely make it into a CRPG because of design woes. I'd like to see them myself (give me a chance to use my horse nomad fighter/cleric in a CRPG), but for now I've heard nothing from it from the Bioware people.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No one said horses are undoable, it's just that if you wanted horses in the game you'd have to start making a game with that idea in mind and adjust the whole game to include horses. You obviously can't do that after you have the whole game. You might as well want to add cars in, it'd be about the same amount of trouble to make it work.

7. Khazar Gems: 6/31

Thanks guys I only asked cos starwars galaxies isnt out but have announced a addon just wonderin if nwn was going to do the same.

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ahhh...ok, I see where you're coming from now. I absolutely agree adding them into the engine after the fact would be a mess. I'm just hoping that bioware will supprise me right before release and tell me horses are in;) And then they'll tell me they've inculded sabres for me to use on them:D Heh, maybe I'll put that on my wish list to Santa Clause.

9. Khazar Gems: 6/31

The reason i want horses is the fact that being able to shoot bows or casts simple spells (magic missile) would be a great eaperience to actually see it in 3D. having lances for fighters would also be a high point especially if you have 3 of them in an arrowhead formation =- how scary would it be to see that advancing towards you?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] And how unbalancing for the game, pray tell?

11. Khazar Gems: 6/31

yes but there are ways around it if u think about it.

thieves traps on the floor and dodge aside
    area affect spells for thenm to run into
    etc the player just has to get over their intial fear and use their head.
    whaddya think is it doable

12. Taluntain

Media:
    In 5 years, I'm sure. But not today. :D

13. Khazar Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] I'll be waiting.
    Are you signed up to ALFA?
    Cos i've sent 4 apps and i haven't recieved a reply to any of them.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I applied and was accepted in the first week of ALFA going online. Quite some time ago. ;)

15. Khazar Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] OK no need to boast have you got any tips for me I desparately want to join and have been with the site since it started they just don't seem to realsie my potential.

Could I send you my characters history and stats so you could read over it?

Oh yes and before i forget how long before iget to change this goblin lvl 1 picture?

[This message has been edited by Khazar (edited November 18, 2001).]

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Sorry, but I have not time to go over other people's character histories... Post in Whatnots, I'm sure someone else can help you do that.

As for changing avatars - go read the Rules/FAQ. It's all there.

17. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Are you able to change my avatar into a paladin for me? i did look for you in the chat rooms to ask you but i can never find you in there to ask?

ive only been on since thursday and already i am at level 1. i helped get a lifeless adventure going and now it is doing pretty well (The New Adventure).

18. Khazar Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] I can't find you in the rooms either so i am going to have to revert to begging to you here. Do you think that you would be able to use your mighty powers to allow both Feirhanith and I to change our Avatars, we have been dying to be able to do it. So please could you make it possible.

Oh and thanks for replying to my posts.

[Neither you nor Feirhanith are helping your cause by begging for custom avatars on the boards. It is expressly forbidden in the FAQ, so by doing so, you are making it less likely that Taluntain will consider you. - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 19, 2001).]

19. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] The only recent game I am aware of with horses is Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) and that only uses them to transport you 'quickly' from one area to anoher. No fighin from hem and if you dismount in the wilderness, the horse disappears.
    As Tal said, programming in horses would be a humungous task, doubling the size of the game. EVERY character would have to have a duplicate set of riding animations with every weapon, joining and seperating horse and rider is a nightmare graphics job, then there is death animations for both.... If that delays the release by another year or two I say no thanks.
    Similarly with swimming. The engine is configured as land (passable) and water (impassable), to make water 'semi passable' is a big change.
    Khazar, check the NWN boards. Mandos said he has a big backlog which he is cutting into. He also had a crash and lost some apps. If you dont hear either way in a week or two (they DO send 'sorry, you didn't make it' replies now) - reapply.

20. Feirhanith Dengeird Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] "Blackthorne" if Taluntain wanted to say that i believe that he can do it himself rather than you doing it for him! (no offense intended).

[Actually I would say the exact same thing. BTA is an admin here and knows me better than anyone else. He's saving my valuable time by wasting HIS time to tell you that what's written in the Rules/FAQ is sacred.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 19, 2001).]

Sorry Taluntain i didn't mean anything by it, just a bit pissed off at something else at the mo.

[This message has been edited by Feirhanith Dengeird (edited November 19, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.