1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AD&D Books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by kasio, Mar 26, 2001.

1. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I saw that someone mentioned AD&D books in this forum. Are there ones?
    Can you call Tolkiens books are by AD&D rules? If yes - why?

And to complain about: I think we would like BG2 etc games world more early-medieval. These READ PIANOS just annoy me madly! And these SEWERS.Who the damn would have build them and for what purpose? Every from orc to elf urinated on the ground behinf the corner. No toilets, no watersupply NO SEWERS. Caves - yes, dragons - yes.
    BUT THOSE NASTY DETAILS what makes this game LOOSE MUCH of its atraction to my eyes at least... Aint i right?

2. Silroth Gems: 7/31

Tolkien is the base, the origin, the reference.
    The question is: Is AD&D Tolkien compatible?
    Not really. They use the same terms but no more.

3. Seric Exz Guest

There is another role-playing-thingy called "MiddleEarth". That one's true Tolkien-style. (If I remember correctly, it's more complex than AD&D. I played it with an inexperienced GM, and got bored pretty fast)

4. kasio Gems: 7/31

Middle Earth?
    Havent heard of it.
    Any link or so or so?

I have played Planescape. It sucked.

This IceWind dale? Is it more realistic, less fantasy, I mean not dragons, magic but these filty SEWERS, PIANOS and other stuff

5. Seric Exz Guest

There's some info on the MiddleEarth RPG at http://www.merp.com , but I have no idea of how good the site is, or what the game is really like. (Like I said, I got bored fast, because it got too technical for its own good) It's not a CRPG, by the way - it's pen-and-paper style.

Icewind Dale is more of a classic dungeon-crawling kind of game. (Less story, more hack & slash)

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  7. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

just read the dragon lance chronicles nuff said

ream them now

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, how handy that we opened a new forum just for topics like these.
    It'd be even better if people posted topics like these in it! :)
    Topic moved.

9. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] *snicker*

10. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] No! You must start with the Baldur's Gate-novel! That one's the best, right Tal? :D

Have you read the BG2-novel yet, btw ?

11. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Planescape sucked?

Ha! :D

Kasio why don't you tell us what kind of books you'd like to read, along with a few titles you liked and we'll recommend something to you.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Indeed, by all means read the Baldur's Gate novel. It will redefine the meaning of "crappy book" in your mind forever.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Don't forget to meet up with Drizzt and his crew as you're touring the multiverse of the D&D fantasy books....

14. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31

I have some addition to the Piano/Sewers thing. Who the fu*k built the cannons on the Warewolveisland in TotSc, standing there since many generations?
    Remember history, the Invention of Blackpowder causes the end of heavyly armed men.

Sorry Sir Bel no Paladins anylonger, :D either the cannons or you are an anachronism. :D
    Is there someone around who stakes on the cannons? :D :D :D

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited March 27, 2001).]

15. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Hmm, Kasio, I think that arguably perhaps the adventures are the best books that D&D has.

The general plot is already outlined, and you can modify it with your imagination. Also, as you play with others you can take part in a story, and not merely witness it.

If you have 3E D&D, I hear that some people recommend the Sunless Citadel. I think it may be worth a try, unless anybody here says otherwise. :D

It could be better than "Heart of Winter" the free adventure they provide you with in the Player's Handbook, and besides I hear the Sunless Citadel is for 1st level characters.

Arg, enough yakking from me, I think you see my point.

16. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Merps is a great system with an experienced GM, it's VERY flexible in terms of "classes" and magic is much more an innate part of the world, almost every one has at least some, even just the small magics that make a haflings garden grow so well or the elven "magic" of making such fine light-weight rope.

If you're going to read anything, read tolkien. It's where it all starts. and, hey, you want to get it read before christmas when the movies start comming out.

Of the D&D books, R.A. salvatore is definatly the best writer they've ever had. I would also Recomend David Eddings (sp) or Terry Brooks shannara books.
    Sadly, alot of the D&D books are just a blatant attempt to capatilize on a succesfull merchandise empire....alot of it is crap

17. cotman68 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

there are MANY D and D books---many are quite terrible. The original game of D and D was based on a compilation of material-- mainly Tolkein and pre-1970 fantasy material. Also on historical references and legends like Arthur, etc.

As a matter of fact--the original D and D game had Hobbits (not halflings).. but TSR was sued and told to eliminate the more obvious Tolkein references.... (just like they were when they originally release Dieties and Demigods with the Melbonian and Cthulhu mythos detailed...)

edited stuff---I agree with the above poster re: the Shannara (can't spell) books--- pretty good books in the Tolkein vein (i.e. a band of adventures going out to fight massive evil and realizing their destiny).. well worth the read (unlike 90% of the official D and D books....)

[This message has been edited by cotman68 (edited May 24, 2001).]

18. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

kaiso, Tolkien had anachronisms too. Saruman had explosives, factories and a magic device to see things far away which transltes as "television".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.