1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Abusing Soldiers vs. Abusing Prisoners

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by revmaf, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Sorry, I don't get your point, Ragusa. Do you think Gates left his nice, comfy job at Texas A&M just to be another Bush lacky? At this point, Bush has to know what he has on his hands - another Vietnam. He looks deperate for a way out - like a mouse in a maze. He's probably counting the days to get out of office and leave the mess for someone else, at least regarding Iraq.

Edit: Speak of whistling in the dark - I thought this was quite ironic:

[ March 05, 2007, 18:56: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Chandos,
    I have a quite cynical view of what the Bush administration is capable and incapable of, Gates qualities, motives and credentials nonwithstanding. Don't get your hopes up.

What they made Pace and Gates say is telling. They both must clearly know the 'surge' as proposed by Bush is a gamble, to be charitable. Their subordinates will have told them that. Just listen to recently retired officers, they're aghast. Yet they did say it anyway, played with the team. Under Bush that's probably all that's required from them - loyalty. Bush, being the decider, decides. The rest of the crew either follows and sticks to the talking points, or is out of the game.

That's what I meant. If things get crazy, like when Bush finally decides when to attack Iran, all Gates can do is step down.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    That's rather beside the point; you don't have to make an 'educated guess without any information' (isn't that a contradiction?). Plenty's been written about the, um, efficacy--or lack thereof--of the govt.'s methods of identifying, detaining, and interrogating terrorists and/or sympathizers.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Ragusa - I think the attack on Iran is coming. Recently, there was a report that some 40 pilots left a local airfield here outside Houston (Ellington) for the Middle East - with another 450 pilots to follow. I wouldn't know why Bush needs 500 F-16 pilots to fight "terrorists" in downtown Baghdad. It seems he might be planning something larger.

Nevertheless, I'm not a big fan of any of these guys. But I feel that Gates is a big improvement over Rumsfeld. IMO, the only solution is to carve-up Iraq between the sects, and the army should gradually "redeploy" to Afghanistan over the next year, where they can destroy the Taliban, and Al- Qaeda, and finish the job they started there. If Bush really wants to "bring democracy" to the ME, he can start there. There is only one problem, of course - it has no oil. Is there a UN plan for "democracy for oil?" :)

I still think, however, that you would not see the recent firings of high level officials, regarding the Walter Reed scandal, if Rumsfeld was still running things.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Chandos,
    as for bringing democracy ... if there is a march of democracy anywhere - it's in Europe. Maybe the EU expanded too fast, but still they countries are standing cue to join. And we didn't need to bomb any of them to persuade them to their choice. And as for Iran ...
    ... this is increasingly getting :yot: :heh: ;)

I think the greatest advantage of Gates over Rumsfeld is an exponentially lower degree of arrogance and ego. That helps a lot in a job where you have to work with people. Wether he wouldn't have fired the Generals ... who knows, the point is moot now he's out of office, which is a good thing.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Since this thread has started to die down, I'm going to hijack it.

If you want to talk about sentencing fiascos read this.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Are you familiar with that psychology experiment where volunteers were randomly assigned duties as prisoners or guards in a mock-prison? Unchecked authority leads to abuse. While I don't doubt that someone high in the administration wanted plausible deniability, and a lack of oversight so they could torture if necessary, on rare occasions, I seriously doubt any of them intended things to get anywhere near as bad as they did.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    NOG,
    I am familiar with the experiment. The US administration should have known it too, and tacitly sanctioning use of violence in interrogations they should have known it would inevitably get out of hand. That's what all the professionals warned about, not to mention the questions of utility and morality. It's not only that it is illegal what they did, it was predictable it would lead to excess. The Marquis de Talleyrand was quite right: "It is worse than a crime, it is a blunder!"

I think the US administration, as much as larger parts of the public, were in a revenge mode after 9/11 and didn't really care what happened to the presumable 'bad guys'. CIA's grim Cofer Black told the president after 9/11 that there were going to be flies crawling across the terrorist's eyeballs. He also who told Congress that there was a “before 9/11” and an “after 9/11,” and that after 9/11, the gloves come off.

9/11 changed the US approach in terrorism to a presumption of guilt. What's euphemistically labeled 'tough interrogation' is nothing else but just that. It's about: You're a bad guy, we know you know something, and you gonna tell us, or else. Tough luck if you were indeed only a cab driver from Kandahar who had been sold as a 'terrorist' to settle some old score.

Just look at the initial reactions by the apologists, which often amounted to: 'Eh, they are terrorists, they deserve it.' America was in the mood for a lynching. I remember how an American colleague at work, nice guy, told me about that incident in London when the Brits shot a guy in the underground: 'They shot a terrorist in London in the tube. Too bad :shake: ' Too bad he was innocent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.