1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About to Level My Ranger to lvl 6 - Questions...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by ToddMcF2002, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] First off - this game is addictive like crack! I played from 7AM till 4AM last night. I'm trying to solo my Ranger. The pennisula Prison quest was OK for soloing. The first serious trouble I ran into was the Zombie/Gulnan quest. First the Bloated Dire Spider was consistantly killing me so I hired Daelan. It was a very short lived relationship. He got sacrificed to the spider but I managed to polish it off.

Questions:
    1. Should I resort to a save to keep Daelan alive or just keep going? Is he worth keeping alive?

2. My ranger INT is only 10. Wisdom is 14 for spells. Will this cause any issues with spells or skills/feats in the long run? I don't really "get" the INT modifier. I thought Wisdom had me covered but now I'm worried. Am I limited for feats? The only one I have so far is "point blank shot". I want "rapid shot" at a minimum.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Daelan's the best tank there is. When I've played as a mage, I've kept him throughout the entire game... so for weaker characters, he's definitely something you'd not want to lose.

Can't help you with the other question, unfortunately.

3. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You don't have to resort to a save. Henchmen that die are recuperated in the temple. They will be alive and kicking and ready to rejoin you. So it's no biggy if one dies in one of the encounters (which they'll often do). The only way to keep a hench(wo)man alive is to not take them with you.

Concerning your int, it shouldn't pose any problems. More int would just give you more skill points to spend on your skills at each levelup. There are a few feats that are int-based, but none should matter too much for you. Of the top of my head, it's Expertise, which is not that usefull for your character I think.

4. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The number of skill points you get at each level up is dependent on your class and intelligence modifier (humans get an extra skill point).
    For a ranger that's 4 + bonus from Int.
    Some of the feats have a minimum intelligence requirement (like Improved Knockdown - requires 13 Int).
    Rangers spells are wisdom based - no issues here.

5. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I'd actually recommend Grimnaw over Daelan in the tank stakes. He's not as strong to start with, but after a few level ups he's a beast. Also, as I assume you're not cross classing for thief skills with your 10 intelligence ranger, you'll need help with bashing chests and doors and Daelan is crap at that. Grimnaw has elemental damage to help get past that annoying damage reduction that most chests and doors have as well as evasion to help him avoid damage from traps.

Of course, since he's evil you might not want to take him for role playing reasons, but if that doesnt bother you give him a whirl.

6. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

So the temple medics came and took Daelan eh? Good ole Daelan - 200GP for a quick death when I hit a roadblock - sounds like a bargain LOL.

Kind of silly though - seems like I can buy my way through the hard parts essentially. I took down everybody else on my own including the whole Pennisula, the Sword Coast Leader and the Zombie Lord ;)

I don't stand a chance against Gulnan solo it seems. I'm not ready to resort to my Daelan sacrifice just yet though - I think I'll go elsewhere and level up to get my Panther before trying her again. Do I get a second primary melee attack at 6th or 7th level? I was thinking about taking "Resist Elements" as my first spell for all those pesky Flame Strike/Fireballs I've been running into. That would be handy with Gulnan too right?

7. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

For extra cannon fodder use your animal empathy A LOT. I found this extremely useful, charming guard dogs and the occasional summoned dire boar. And it doesn't cost a cent.

8. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I did that for one guard dog already. I need more dogs!

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hire all the henchmen. Help them with their quests to gain experience and some cool items. They give stat improving rewards for their quests and each has three quests -- that's a +3 stat bonus for each item by the end of game (and the items stack). The only down side is that you can only use 2 or 3 of the items at a time. You don't really even need to have them for more than a few minutes each to complete their quest once you gain a few levels.

The thief is really handy in the pirate area.

Gulnan is easy. You should be able to kill her solo (once you know what to do). You may consider taking the cleric instead.

There are quite a few feats you need an int of 13 to get, but none that your character must have. The only problem with a low intelligence is the low skill points.

10. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Well I read her journal entry about her table I need to break - I'm assuming that's what you are referring to ;)

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1) The only problem with your henchmen dying is the hassle of continually going back to get them. I find that in the OC, I spent most of my time retrieving useless henchmen who kept dying.

You can choose different henchmen for different areas if you want. Personally, I think Daelen, Grimgnaw, and Tomi are the only ones who are worth anything.

2) INT is not that important for a ranger, other than for a few extra skill points, which are only an issue if you going all out for the various ranger skills.

12. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Well it all worked out - I killed Gulnan with Daelan although we both got pasted a few times. Then I booted him again after getting his quest assignments. I'll do his quests later. Got my panther and spells.

A question:
    How on earth do I hotkey rapid shot??? I can see this is going to be annoying having it off by default. I could at least "pin" the setting in ToEE!!!

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Isn't Rapid Shot a selected combat feat? Therefore you can just drag it onto your quick bar and the hotkey will correspond to whatever slot you choose. Alternatively, right click on the empty slot and choose it that way via the radial menu.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It's an annoying choice. IWD had it much better, you choose it and the char uses it until you give the specific order for him to stop using it. I guess for knockdown and similar special attacks, but rapid shot, power attack, expertise and the like would be more useful the IWD way. Not to mention Power attack being split into 5 subgroups, each point of AB/damage trade a choice in its own.

Not that i care much, i play wizards :p

15. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Hey slightly offtopic - my brother has NWN "Gold" and I've got NWN "Platinum". Any compatibility issues if I try to multiplayer with him? Can I load him into my existing single player game?

I thought one of the expansions changed the actual game engine and character options.

EDIT:
    Also, is friendly fire implemented? If I play a wizard will I cook everybody within a fireball radius? It should be that way!!!!

16. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

As long as you both have same expansions and versions, you should be fine.

The AoE spells. That depends on the area PvP settings. Full PvP, party PvP, no PvP. Maybe some more, cant recall :)
    PvP settings make a huge difference for wizards in multiplayer world. There's a difference if you can cast your AoE spells freely around the place, or if you have to carefuly time and place your fireballs, to encompas as many targets without affecting allies.
    There are a few party friendly spells though. Cloud of Bewilderment (a hugely neglected awsome spell), Horrid Wilting too i think. Precious few, in any case. Mind spells are fine, as long as you protect your party members with some form of mind spell immunity, or if they posses it themselves.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.