1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Worthy Challenge

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mr Writer, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] OK!! First installment will be up tomorrow, Tuesday, I hope.

Once again, could someone recommend me a race, and let me know about the constitution bonus to HP and the hit dice?

Rose: Forgotten Five, eh? Sounds nice, although I certainly can't imagine why a party like theirs would be forgotten! ;)

2. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I wasn't accusing you of anything, Kailynne. Nothing to stop two or three or twelve of you from running low-stat soloists simultaneously.

It's just that when other people continued making more suggestions for challenges to Mr. Writer, who had started this thread, you started responding with "Well, I don't accept those restrictions! I don't like them." The thread doesn't have to be just about Mr. Writer, but neither is it just about you, either. I'd be kind of amused to see someone take up the "cheese-free", or at least "relatively cheese-free", gauntlet. I bet it'd be hilarious. (-:

3. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Mr Writer - thread title for ease of comparison idea here.

You could consider (not stating you should now, just consider it) using the idea/format I used --- Name ---966666.

Makes it easy to find both if people want to compare them.

---
    tiamat - try a gnome for your cleric. Good dex bonus, a definite plus for spellcasting time. Can't asnwer your questions about Con bonuses.

--
    tjekanefir - I see yor point. My initial response had to do, I guess, as much with a private message/email I received stating similar things as this thread itself. I probably should have either not said anything about it in this thread, or made sure that I didn't turn this into a "me" thing in my response. Only reason I am responding to you now in this thread is this is where your comment is.

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 08, 2001).]

4. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Thanks Kailynne, but I think I'll go with my original traitorous belief: elf. Correct me if I'm wrong, but gnomes do not get a bonus to dexterity, they get one to intellect, with a penalty to wisdom. Halflings do get this bonus, but they get a penalty to strength -- and, more importantly, wisdom -- too, so no. And, finally, elves get this bonus. I love elves. I think (THINK) that the constitution bonus above 16 applies only to fighter-classes, but I was hoping for confirmation. Oh well. I'm thinking of using a Priest of Helm, as I don't like playing evil (though Priest of Talos *is* a strong kit), and Priest of Lathander is more of a party-geared kit. In which case, I will be either True Neutral or Lawful Neutral; a very unusual version of either.

5. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] My god tensions are high,
    clam down my friends

6. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Tiamat - your are correct - I was thinking of gnome mage/illusionist..... My bust. Long day. I need a drink.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Tha disadvantage of elven race it that their saving throws are not as good as the gnomes (or especially as the halflings). This forces you to emphazise on protection from spells which can be kinda annoying sometimes.
    Finally it's a question of choice and gamestyle what race is best.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I agree with Ragusa.

Anyway I have pondered a bit and my 966666 fighter challenge isn't really hard. It should have been a wizardslayer. But then again that isn't funny. Everyone knows it is an arbitrary possibility. Just takes a lot of reloads.

Most funny classes have been done.

So what then. All exciting kits have been tried. Dargorn is playing without using any magical items, but has put restrictions on potions and scrolls too. And then he just quit the challenge.

Anyway, I think one challengee could be to play and complete without one single reload. Hard to prove on the boards, but intense to do. And who needs the boards acknowledgement? I don't.

I am currently planning on completing with six wizard slayers since I had a debate whether this was harder or easier than a solo. And I was told the six party was harder by a person who knows what she is talking about IMO. But feel free to complete without one single reload. or try and beat Earl grey's attempt to beat all speed records and complete the game as fast as possible. It could be fun to read about a really stressed up PC, who bullies the NPCs forward. Anyway the board is drowning in stories so it is imperitive that you make it unique.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 09, 2001).]

9. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Nobleman - the number of reloads that I have had to make might argue against your assertion that the 966666 challenge isn't really hard - or it could just reflect on my own game-playing abilities. Then again, you could give it a try and let us know if your opinion changes with the exeperience.

I'll tell you what, with an INT of 6, I can't even use the Wand of Missiles I picked up. Game says I am too dumb - so what is the difference there from a Wizardslayer? (Okay, I know that a WizSlayer can't use ANY potions... but you get the idea that this is still not a walk in the park.)

Come on Nobleman - finish up the Bad Mojo story in BG1 and bring him in here! 8)

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 09, 2001).]

10. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The points I want to make, I have already done in your storyline so no need to write them again. The first dungeon is indeed the hardest part and the first few quests.

The problem with the Wizardslayer is that he can't buy the girdle of giant strenght and use the Gauntlet of Dex (remembered the correct form this time Big B :p) and potions of constitution, boots of speed etc. etc.

This stuff is difficult to acquire for a normal fighter in the beginning due to funds, so your PC will have roughly the same disadvantages as a wizardslayer. Hence lots of reloads in the start. So it all makes sense. :) With that said I really think it is still fun to play the fighter 966666 since the feeling of character development is a real visible one. And by all means it is not a walk in the park. :)

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

a solo shapeshifter should be quite interesting - i actually find cernd to be instrumental at the moment in my party - he's leading the kills, and experience, and somehow is really lucky with those attack rolls despite a current THAC0 of 12

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Mayeb it's cool to play with non-magical weapons (and allow Magic Armor, rings, etc)

Or did anyone try to play the game without any weapon, only uses spells, attack things on rings, and just fists (and then as fighter or barbarian but not as Monk).. Talking about challenges :)

13. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Damn...God, Headbanger! That's not a challenge but a suicidal mission. If you aren't a monk you can't kill anything with your hands just knock them down. No XP, No items, No nothing. And..you are no match for an "armed to teeth" goblin even. :grin:

14. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

No tensions, Mr. Writer. See all the smileys? (-: I respect and like Kailynne, and he's always seemed to feel similarly about me.

I just don't want to see the "REAL man!" finesse-less concept totally dropped. It sounds hilariously suicidal. ("REAL man doesn't need no stankin' prep spells against no dragon! *URK!*")

Maybe I'll do it myself. (-:

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Headbanger MR. Writer has already begun with the same as Kailynne. Quite interesting to have two stories going on parallel to eachother.

But I would like to play your challenge with no magical weapons, Headbanger. My F/M/T is already building the concept in my head. I won't start now, because the board is swarming with stories. I'll wait a week or two. And I will only make it a short update. fun stuff. HArd stuff. Character development. thoughts on the future etc.

EDITED HERE: I am not implying that it is too hard only that it is a fun challenge.

16. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I give in to temptation; I accept the REAL Man quest. (-: I'll let everyone know when I embark.

17. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What about statring a plain mage(with an empty spellbook), no weapons, no magical items...and at the begining the protagonist should have to read a the cursed scroll of stupidity(no chance to learn spells). Remove curse is not an option!:grin:
    How about that???:hmm:

18. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

My response to Tin_Man's challenge....

/me hands Tin_Man the keys ot his old TRS-80 Model I microcomputer and asks him to demonstrate BG2 on it.

19. void Guest

Do a solo wizard Slayer with 933333 now that's a challenge.

Cheers, Void.

20. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Minimum stats for any fighter kit are 966666 as far as I know.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.