1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A weapon database

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Bsisi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Bsisi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I created database of ToBs weapons. Unlike all databases that I've seen, mine tries to handle the most important thing: expected damage output.
    This is an extremely complex problem that depends on about anything including playing style, so the calculations can't be perfect. But I wanted to get the best effect/effort and much better than the usual back of envelope calculations.

Download:
    http://www.multiupload.com/J4G9LACQX4

I welcome all comments / suggestions and especially - error reports.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Yeah, I think I will. I'd like people to look at it first though.

hannibal555 likes this.
  4. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Well done, I like it.

Some quick overlooking showed a monk fist dmg/hit of -6,632 though,
    which doesn't make sense to me.

Some details:
    - I don't know if Strength enhancement by weapon (CF , Angurvadal) is calculated correctly. E.g. does the damage calculation of CF use the set Strength in the setting or its own Strength of 25?

- The Equalizer looks pretty poor by its position in the chart. Maybe one should notice that it confers its bonus damage to the main hand weapon as well when used off hand? (Though I realize that marking weapons by usefulness as off hand weapons might be beyond the scope of this table)

Overall a very nice effort, I'll keep it ^^

5. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Thanks for the fist report, fixed already. Open Office got some things wrong when I was moving settings around while formatting the front page. I fixed it elsewhere, but forgot about the fist.

Yes, Equalizer is problematic. I added it (and several other weapons) twice and considered adding it for each class of alignments. I decided against it because the most extreme one is probably the most commonly used and I don't like spamming the DB too much.
    And I don't see a better way then to list it several times.
    Also, could you elaborate on what do you mean about offhand damage? Your message seems that when wielded together with some other weapon, both Equalizer and that other weapon get dmg boost, but I've never heard about the effect, so I'd like to have it super clear. If that's the case, it certainly should be noted.

For Angurvadal and other weapons that can increase STR temporarily, I used the default STR. For ones that have permanent effect (Crom Faeyr, Harmonium Halberd, Mauler's Arm) I adjust STR to the correct value....though I'm not sure what's correct with Mauler's Arm, the description says that it "increases" STR to 18, but I have a suspicion that it just sets it at this level. I have to test it before publication.
    Though I just noticed that I indeed have a bug in there, I use a correct +dmg, but not -THAC0. TODO tomorrow, it's 0:30 AM.

During the last hours I went through http://baldur.cob-bg.pl/bg2?pg=3,1,13 which seems to be the most competent guide, it looks like they went through game files and list many errors in in-game descriptions, which I fixed.

I also fixed several tiny errors and added crudely took into account that there are enemies with different THAC0 levels, a very rough approximation of normal distribution by making the set enemy AC the expected value and looking at points with +-2 and +-5 AC too, though they got lowered probability.

http://www.multiupload.com/MP6TVR2ZVS

I am considering adding a simple dual-wield calculator because I think it's quite important and just as uneasy as regular dmg.

6. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Concerning the Equalizer, yes the bonus it confers does apply to the main hand weapon as well when wielded off-hand.
    That's what I read on these forums on several occasion, e.g. here:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19290&highlight=equalizer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  7. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

Thank you. It also mentioned Angurvadal dmg going to the main hand, is that the fire dmg?

I only now noticed that unlike +4, Angurvadal +5 has a permanent STR bonus, so I indeed handled it incorrectly. I also found and fixed several other errors and improved descriptions.
    Also, I think that the 18/xx STR handling might be hard to some user, so I changed the default spreadsheet settings to something that actually uses it, a much lower lvl fighter.
    One bad thing about the db is that when you change settings, rankings change, but I don't know how to make them sort by updated damage. For example with this early character, poisoning weapons look way better then with end-of game ones.

http://www.multiupload.com/XFFQ5HVJ13

I used to think that dual wielded weapons are weaker with GWW, but with Equalizer it's not so obvious...I really have to write a dual-wield calculator.

---------- Added 10 hours, 51 minutes and 35 seconds later... ----------

I added a dual wield calculator:
    http://www.multiupload.com/CF31BF3SLA

It seems that while GWWing, FoA alone is weaker then together with Equalizer in cases when it gets +4 or +6 dmg.
    When not GWWing and not hasted, the difference is much bigger.
    With Angurvadal, it's better in all cases when assuming the extra damage goes to the main hand.

8. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

I made a major update. I significantly changed handling of proficiencies. Up to now I assumed that you build a character from scratch and can assign them any way you want; For each weapon type you either don't use the weapon at all or have maximum number of points that you can get at particular lvl.
    This is not true with thieves and bards who can use weapons like FoA, for which they can't get proficiencies. And it's not for NPCs through most of the game either.
    I also assumed that you get 2 points in 2-weapon fighting which I don't think is possible for non-fighters.
    Now you can enter proficiencies for individual weapon types.

Also, I found and fixed an error in critical damage calculations and did minor enhancements across the board.

And I couldn't find more info about Angurvadal dmg going to the main hand, for now I assume that it doesn't.

http://www.multiupload.com/TI6181RZSX

9. Bsisi Gems: 5/31

I keep fixing bugs, but while refining my models I keep introducing new ones. So all releases at least until now were buggy. This time I made some model refinements again, but I did more rigorous testing, so hopefully it's more correct now.

http://www.multiupload.com/EICCV9IGY2

10. Sick Boy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Can't download this anymore :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.