1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A question for our English members...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Hugo, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Alright, so here's the story:
    I'm currently writing a paper in university on English national identity. Mind, specifically English, which I'm not confusing with British here. Anyone, be they from other parts of the UK or whereever, may feel free to comment of course but I'm specifically looking for reactions from our English folks, and if you are one of them, please state this in your post (even if you are known to be one, or your <location> makes it obvious. Please. Being in uni doesn't mean I'm not stupid).

The question I'd like to ask you is what makes you feel English, or what you consider to be important to English national identity. What things do you consider to make the English different from whatever other people. It doesn't matter if this opinion is not pc, or factually untrue even if it's a factual statement, as long as it's something that you associate with being English.

I'd also like to ask everyone not to take offense at anything that might be offensive to anyone, and for those responding to the question, not to withold something because it might be offensive - but not to strike for that in particular either.

Alright, so this might not be completely coherent, but it'll suffice, hopefully. I look forward to your reactions.
    :borg:

2. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think English national identity stems more from making fun of everyone else than it does from any great level of patriotism or pride. This is fairly evident in that our national dish typically comes from India and changes every year, nobody knows beyond the first verse of our national anthem, and so on. Perhaps the main degree of patriotism comes from our national sport: football violence.

3. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Self deprecating humour and tea strong enough to strip wallpaper.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    1- Moan about everything but put up with it anyway. Just don't moan about the 'big stuff'.

2 - Whatever sport you choose to follow, it must become extremely important in your life.

3 - A dozen cups of tea a day, and never forget the universal curative effects of tea. "Aw, nevermind eh, let me get you a nice cuppa".

4 - Be sarcastic. Other nations just don't seem to get it.
    Italian Bloke: "I can't believe AC lost the champion's league final! They were 3-0 up! How could Liverpool score 3 times in 5 minutes? How did the keeper not save Smicer's shot? How was that ever a penalty on Steven Gerrard? How did Shevchenko miss that goal? Or that penalty? It's a travesty of injustice! The better team lost! Milan outplayed Liverpool in every way, shape and form. And did you see the offside flag before Liverpool's second goal? Why wasn't play stopped?" Begins to foam at the mouth. "And the penalties! Did you see Dudek? He was 10 yards off his bloody line - not once, but TWICE! The whole thing was a bloody fiasco!"

Pause. Smoke rises from the Italian's head. Veins bulge in his temples.

English Bloke: "So ... you're a bit peeved, then?"

5 - Don't big yourself up if you know you're good at something. But play yourself up a bit if you know you're not all that good at something.

6 - Other countries (at least the other home nations) seem to think we're arrogant but fail to recognize it.

7 - Self depreciating humour. "Being English I crave disappointment, that's why I buy Kinder Surprise. Horrible chocolate, nasty little toy - a double whamey of disillusionment. Sometimes I eat the toy out of sheer despair." - Bill Bailey.

8 - Make sure queues are correctly followed. Other nations people are always looking for ways to avoid queues or jump a queue, people from England will wait their turn in a queue. But remember to complain about it.

9 - Deal with 'hate' nearly every day. Scottish / Irish / Welsh like to proclaim to 'hate' England and English people. French and Spanish don't like us too much either. Mostly it's not really serious, but some do take it way too far. I think that's part of our identity, for years and years we've dealt with a lot of 'hate' from other nations.

10 - Be polite, don't dare be rude. We hate rudeness. And lateness. Never be late.

I'm sure there are a lot of others, I can't be othered to think of, or write down anymore.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That all sounds good, Barmy, except this one:

When England is good at something - it's ALL you will hear about.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Heh, yeah, when it's our team we love to be able to boast when we win something (because it doesn't happen often).

I was talking more about individual skills.

"So, you play football, eh? Any good?", "Not really, well I'm not bad I guess" when you know full well you rule at it.

"So, you play pool eh? Good player?", "Yeah I'm well good yeah, went 10 games unbeaten in the pub the other day, I'm well tasty at pool" when you know full well you're not really any good at it.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I would say the English folks don't seem to get the Celtic/Saxon/Norman concept. They call themselves Britons, like the ancient ones (of course, this is a British thing, but I guess Scots and Welsh people are more likely to identify themselves separately than English people), and they seem to consider both Harold Godwinson and William the Conqueror their kings alike. Similarly, Hengist would be equally theirs as King Arthur. Surprisingly, there might be some real reason behind this, as Anglo-Saxon genes are not quite prevalent in all the populace. Celtic features (genes) are still strong somehow, despite the Anglo-Saxon language and culture. Flame me at will if I'm wrong.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    We also have the understatement. 'Yeah, well, it was alright, you know'. It takes a hell of a lot for an English person to stand up and go 'Woah!'

"So, you went to Australia and swam with with dolphins! How awesome was that?", "Well, it was alright".

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I'm English, and I have NO idea what you're talking about.

I think another symbol of English cultural identity is Marmite. Everyone except us and Australia hates this salty, bitter treat, but everyone I know is practically addicted to the damn stuff, including me

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Being arrogant is definately part of being English, can't really blame us though as its been stamped into our culture for century's, theres nothing like the Trafalgar celebrations or VE day. More recently it's mostly sport that we look to find pride in.... Germany 1 - Her Majesty 5 :D . Taking the piss out of the other home nations. i.e the pot noodle mines in Wales or pikeys in Ireland, is very important. We don't really hate them the way they hate us which is with a VENGEANCE... jealousy or what.

In terms of heritage we have to see William the Conqeuror as Norman NOT French, I mean England could never be conquered by France, I mean were way better than them... Crecy, Agincourt, Trafalgar, Waterloo etc etc. Thats a typical English attitude. And also we have a tendency to view half the World and even America as something we used to own.

Talking of this theres a program on tonight called 100% English where they have well known people take DNA test's and then they see where thir roots are from, anyway on the advert it says "are we 100% English or a bunch of bloody foreiner's", thats quite steriotypically English.

Lastly I think a pride in the Monarchy is very English well atleast for me anyway, if theres any attempt to ever devolve the Monarchy I would be very distressed and feel it my duty to try protest. I don't know how Barmy feels about this, but alot of todays youth don't seem to be bothered at all, its an integral part of our history and culture that can't just be disgarded.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

11. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm english, and I'd say the most important part of being English is that 'Stiff Upper Lip'. never ever let your opponent in wordplay know he just verbally stabbed you through the heart and twisted, just raise a theatrical eyebrow and look down your nose at them.

Oh yeah, that and of course assimilating people, traditions, food and religions from other countries and calling ourselves "Culturally diverse"

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention some of the bad points, which are alcoholism, football hooliganism, thuggery, and racism.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    And that's just Sarevoks house!

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey! What about New Zealand? Actually, I heard that marmite (or was it Vegemite?) has been legally banned in the USA (because it contains folate - which is a healthy thing!). How ridiculous is that (if it's true - and not another dodgy internet rumour)?

The English also do funny things like invent new types of curry (like Chicken Tikka Masala) that only exist in England but which they pretend is an exotic dish from Asia.

15. Duffin Gems: 13/31

We have Chicken Balti pie's at Field Mill (Mansfield Town's ground) and they are bloody gorgous! Pies are definately part of British culture. :thumb:

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    You're never from Mansfield? Get outa town...

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The inability to pronounce the letter 'r' in some words :p

18. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Barmy Army has summed up the majority of them.

You'll even hear about it if they once were and no longer are. Along comes a World Cup and the English that I know immediately believe that the odds are in favour of them winning. :rolleyes:

There's a reason that they haven't won for what is coming ever-closer to half a century.

Nor, in many cases, the letter 't'- leading to the common usage of wa'er (or even wa'e').

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Cuch, that's just darn Sarth.

Awight sweetheart! Fackin Landaner en oi! etc. etc.

Oop Norf we're well capable of pronouncing our 'r'.

20. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Aye, well there or there about's why? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.