1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A question about Mazzy Fentan

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Shaitan, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

[​IMG] Hi!

I'm planning a party consisting of:
    Bruno F/I, using bastard sword and katanas
    Jaheira, using clubs and scimitars
    Anomen, using ?? and shield
    Nalia, using short bow
    Auren, using long swords.

I was thinking of the last spot for Mazzy Fentan, but I never tried her before. So I don't know much about her:
    What's her best usage? Should I give her a sling or bow, or make her dualwield? Or use a shield?

Does she have any quests?

Can I go after her and then leave the jail without confronting the Shadow Lord? Will she complain a lot if I don't go right to the Shadow Lord?

I'm using Improved Anvil v. 3 so the Shadow Lord is quiet tough as far as I remember.

Regards

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mazzy rules mate. With a good bow and some tasty arrows, she can be a very good damage dealer (Tasheron's Bow and later Gesen's are also good). She can also dual wield pretty well if you want to melee her. She's best with a bow though I found.

She does have at least 1 quest that I know of (something to do with her family home in Trademeet).

When I took her, I went for her straight away and did the Shadow Lord bit later. Maybe I was just lucky, but I can't remember her complaining.

3. Shaitan

:) Wich profs does she have when I obtain her? I think I'll go for her straight away also, but it could be too tough since the jailkeeper is toughned a bit via Improved Anvil. Maybe I'll have to gain some levels before getting Mazzy freed.

I'm most for a ranged weapon for her, since I got enough fighters, but I might be convinced otherwise...

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Mazzy is the best archer in the game, and does a lot of damage as she obviously doesn't need to run up to enemies or chase after them when they start running. She's also a proper little kill stealer with that +1 attack/round bow from the Copper Coronet, too (like, 4 attacks a round at early levels).

5. Shaitan

Nice! And the with the Gesen bow, there ain't many creatures with protection from electricity :)

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

She's got 5* in short bow and 3* in short sword. She won't complain if you decide to leave the shade lord for later. I used her as an archer with Tuigin bow from the beastmaster in CC. When she got another prof. point, I put it in halberds. Her quest kicks in about 10 days after she's in the party.

I don't know if any of the mods you have change anything about her.

7. Shaitan

Why Halbards?

There shouldn't be any changes to her (don't know about IA ...)

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I also have her become a halberd-weilder. Why? Because they're so much better than short swords, and it's simple to go from a bow to a halberd.

Besides, it looks really cool!

BTW, if you pick up Mazzy right away, she'll be level 8 and have ***** in Short Bow and * in Short Sword. If you pick her up at level 9, she'll have *** in Short Sword (an extra pip). It's up to you which is actually more beneficial. She's more powerful initially when spawning at level 9, but short swords really aren't that good, and spending that pip where you want to is really sweet as well.

9. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

People in this forum are halberd-crazy when it comes to using Mazzy...FOR NO GOOD REASON. Seriously, paladin PCs do much better with them, since, in SOA at least, they should be 2H spec'ed to begin with.

Mazzy comes specialized in short swords and with her high DEX, she makes a decent tank in a pinch with heavy armor and a good shield if you can pump up her AC. But why bother? Get her the Tuigan and later Gesen as suggested and keep her in the back at all times. She won't complain and you'll get plenty of mileage out of her as an archer.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah. Mazzy and her proffies. I had a similar question, really.

At the start of ToB, when you summoned her, she's got about 4 ranks in short sword. (Aside from the 5 in short bow)
    Would you advice me to use these and let her dualwield for example (giving her Kundane, for instance) or spend ranks in halberds (and 2 handed weapons) right away and forget the qualities with the short swords that she achieved earlier?
    It seems such a waste not to use them...

Edit: Oh wait... Klorox gave me the answer, I believe. And there's always ShadowKeaper to modify profs :heh:

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

When I take Mazzy into my party, it's because I don't have anyone else who can use halberds. :p

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    There are a some really good halberds with 'special effects', and when you have longswords, axes and two-handed swords covered ... I prefer to give her shortswords though, given I don't play a halfling character myself.

You can really get the best of her till mid-game when you give her the Tuigan bow and that shortsword that gives the bonus attack, forgot the name.

She's a formidable character. I really like her. She's tough, has great saves, strength is easily fixed, she has useful innate abilities, and I believe my halfling cavalier loves her.

13. Shaitan

I hadn't really been giving any thoughts to halbard, and AFAIK there's some nice ones out there.

I'm on my way to get Mazzy, so I look foreward to use her abilities.

Regards

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I had Mazzy use the Azuredge throwing axe against the improved Shade Lord from IA mod. She did not have the proficiency, but she had relatively OK THAC0 so she was able to hit occasionaly. And I think it suits her character as well:she has to hate all undead after losing Patrick and her friends, afterall!

And, Shade Lord blew his saving throw and was killed by Mazzy Fentan! Yay, as he is VERY tough to beat normally, believe me when I say so! He is really scary, thanks to Sikret's excellent coding! :mommy:

So you can let her use all anti-undead weapons, if nobody else is using them:it fits her personality and history perfectly , in a non-powergamish but RPing perspective IMHO.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Has anyone ever used the Mazzy Romance mod? What's the story (morning glory) there?

16. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The only time that I ever actually managed to beat BG2, I had Mazzy swinging a halberd. She kicked ass!

17. Shaitan

Mazzy wielding Daystar, wich is almost as long as her :shake:

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Is that even done yet? Last I looked (probably a few months ago, though) they were still working on the SoA part.

19. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Killjoy said:

Yeah, you're right.

1) Since you don't use Mazzy that way, there must not be a good reason (like Paladins should probably be using something called Carsomyr instead).

2)Mazzy NEVER comes specialized (**) in Short Swords. She's either at (*), (***), or (****), depending on when you pick her up.

But why should opinion, or even fact get in the way of your blanket statements? :rolleyes:

20. Shaitan

I just picked her up at level 9, and she got (*) in short swords. And (*****) in short bows. And I handed her Tuigens Bow at sight. Nice!

I run away from The Temple area, and Nalia started complaining, so I just arrived at the D'Arnisse Keep.

I'm looking foreward to a new and unknown NPC quest :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.