1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new look on global warming

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Mar 6, 2008.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The bozar is simply the greatest invention of all time. High damage, high RoF, solid AP capabilities. You don't need 200 points in heavy weapon to use it properly, neither.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    How about one of you opens a Fallout thread in the DNR forum? :rolleyes:

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The problem here is basically that both sides discount the other side's evidence because we don't believe their scientists are credible. Both sides are claiming bias and neither side can provide conclusive proof for or against. Of course, with bias, that's kind of hard.

4. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well they are predicting something as unpredictable as climate change and making bold general claims like "humans are responsible for global warming". Have you got evidence to back that up? Well yeah, some circumstantial evidence generated by our computer models based on readings in random temporal and spatial points... but they are good enough to make these assumptions and statements. You cannot doubt us. Not even be a little bit sceptical. We have dramatic descriptions of what will happen to trigger your emotions. Polar bears are dying and pirate numbers are decreasing. Rising CO2 levels also correlate with the rising number of sixes hit in cricket matches. We also want your money because alternate forms of fuel and carbon credits are good business and a good way for governments to tax their citizens and farmers, and ultimately the big gas companies that can afford to pay their credits stand to gain the most.

The Great Snook likes this.
  5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Of course when money's involved anything anyone says to try to get to my money is not credible.

You ain't getting my cash no matter what the circumstances, no matter what you're trying to appeal to and what for. End of discussion.

And everyone else is just a hypocrite, but I'm selfish and a monster and I know it and I'm not hiding it, so that makes me better than you.

Oh wait, I'm keeping my cash to myself and for myself, to improve the mankind and save the world.

It's the big-oil company conspiracy, no wait...the big company conspiracy, they're out there trying to get you and your cash, exploiting you. Whatever anyone ever says, it's the moneymen and the big corporations just trying to get your cash.

Riiight.... :rolleyes:

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Yeah, pretty much.

Hold it, did I just agree with Drew? Quick, someone check the temperature in Hell!

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    That's just a small example of what kind of inanity and idiocy I'm facing through my work almost every single day.

What's this got to do with climate change then?

Tragedy of the commons and how people are so bloody blind to it, how they're willing to blame just about anyone else or anything else rather than taking responsibility for what they/we do as individuals on a daily basis, multiplied by billions of people.

9. Drew

Media:
    A lot of folks who usually wouldn't seem to be agreeing with me (usually to their own chagrin) lately. As much as we may deny it or wish it weren't so, we all share a lot more common ground than we are normally inclined to think.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  10. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Yeah, I must say I do agree with your quote.

Of course, I think of it as more of a comment on the intelligence of the common man than the value of the democratic party. ;)

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I recycle paper.
    I don't litter.
    I don't burn firewood.
    I don't smoke.
    I don't use heaters in winter.
    I have a PC that consumes 50% less power.
    I have energy saving bulbs.
    I have an energy saving fridge.
    I don't have kids.
    I don't have large pets that live for years.
    I walk/take the bus to work/school.
    I drive once a week.
    I flush the toilet when it absolutely needs flushing.
    I take one minute showers.

And then the neighbours next door decide to have 10 kids, go on the welfare, burn firewood 365 days of the year, have barbecues, and smoke like chimneys.

Frustration.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Tass - I hope you have a lot of cheese in that energy-saving fridge of yours to go with all the whine. :p

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I really don't want to start up this dead topic again, especially as we seem to have agreed that we'll never agree, but I would like to hear your responses to this article.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/?pageId=65165

To sum it up, it looks like Mars and Jupiter are warming up at the same rate that the Earth is (over the past few decades, when we've actually been able to make some accurate measurements of the climate on these planets). Reactions?

14. Drew

Media:
    We live on earth, have a nice, thick atmosphere, the gases in our planet are different, the earth has water, trees, carbon based life, and, hell, Jupiter is made of gas. If you want a real comparison, ask an astro-physicist if this actually means anything.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's obvious - the Martians need to cut their greenhouse gas emissions.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I suppose pointing out that that it's from World Net Daily is all the bullsh*t detection any rational person would need isn't going to sway you.

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Sorry, I don't know anything about World Net Daily, so you'll have to explain that one. I have seen this on a couple other news sites, though.

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    World Net Daily, put simply, is about as credible as Anne Coulter. Or, I dunno, the bastard lovechild of Coulter and Moore.

19. martaug Gems: 23/31

aldeth would martians have greenhouse gases or red?

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    So I found the relevant press release. I note with interest that it makes no claim that the work is relevant to climate change on Earth.

EDIT: Actually, I think the assorted op-eds dealing with this (google news, "imke de pater") provide a wonderful example of the blatant intellectual dishonesty of much (most?) of the anti-anthropocentric climate change arguments. Jupiter "may" be experiencing climate change becomes "is". The ice caps on Mars are shrinking, ergo the cause must be the sun getting hotter (nevermind that most scientists, not to mention the easily accessible data, indicate otherwise), ergo climate change on Earth is caused by an increase in solar irradiance. Note that these are the very same people who in other contexts (say, CO2 in the atmosphere) shriek that correlation is not causation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.