1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new life!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Ziad, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Actually it will probably involve a fosmid library, deep-sea microorganisms (and shrimps!), and lipo-polysaccharides. Sorry, no RNA interference :)

UK banks are so bloody [insert string of insults]. I won't have a credit card before at least a month. And I can't buy anything online without one :(

On second thought I don't even have a bank account yet. So slow! :mad:

On the bright side, people here are very friendly. That is, if you except that weirdo today who simply came up to us and went into a string of insults for no apparent reason whatsoever.

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

dude, you are running screens day and night...

ach aye that's a bonnie thing...

3. Ziad

Media:
    "Are ya talkin' to me?"

:lol:

Seriously... what does that mean?

On another note, I still can't make any sense of the "hard-core" Scots when they talk... I just nod, say something and hope it's even related (I could of course ask them to repeat themselves, but doing that 3 or 4 times per sentence is bound to piss them off eventually)

Oh yes, and I (finally!) ordered my new PC :banana:

4. Bion Gems: 21/31

oh, just assumed that you're doing lots of genetic screening these days... or do you have to go through lots of coursework, take a general exam, and rotate through a few labs before you settle down to your PhD work...

5. Ziad

Media:
    Oh, you meant those screens...

Your assumption was correct. No courses, exams or rotations (you've got to love the British PhD system). I was supposed to start work today but... haven't done anything (see RBP).

On a completely unrelated note I need to phone the Royal Bank of Scotland tomorrow and scream at them because my account should have been ready 6 days ago (and isn't). And I need it to pay my rent, and the deadline is getting closer and closer.

I'm feeling a rush of homesickness. I felt that for most of the first week (I was close to crying on the 5th day), but then everything seemed to get much better. I'm feeling it again today. It's not that I miss my country (I don't miss it THAT much, not yet at least), or even my family and friends (though I do miss them a lot), it's just that... I don't know, I haven't really adapted to this life yet. It feels odd, being in a different place, where you cannot interpret people's reactions as easily as you're used to. It also happens when you go on a holiday I guess, but on such occasions you don't really care, because you are a tourist. When you live somewhere though, you simply feel out of touch with the world around you - which has suddenly become your own new world.

I have no idea why I am telling you people this. Probably because you're complete strangers :D

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Tell me about it!
    I fancied myself a decent speaker, that is, until i came to Glasgow. Couldnt understand the man telling me something slooowly, until i patched the words together and guessed what that strangely pronounced word might be. On the good side, i'd recognise a scot anywhere now. Good luck with that, i guess time'll fix it ;)

7. Bion Gems: 21/31

Well, grad school isn't easy however you look at it, and going to another country only makes it rougher. And I've heard a number of biologists seriously wanting to quit the field entirely after spending 3 or 4 years on a project and having it fall through (btw, be very very glad you're not doing plant genetics :mommy: ). Fortunately, in each of these cases, things eventually worked out.

Not to scare you; just saying that there will be times that you'll feel overwhelmed, behind, and a bit hopeless, but that those times will pass. All in all, grad school is absolutely one of the best things you can do with your mid- to late-20s. Sure the pay isn't great and the hours are long, but it's super stimulating and you're always surrounded by smart and interesting people. And I'm sure Edinburgh has some really, really great places to grab a beer with your colleagues after a long day...

8. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Hello. Just got back to the boards after some months. Congratulations! I've always wanted to go to Edinburgh. Check out J.K. Rowling's place and confirm if it's either the biggest or best looking one there. :D

9. Ziad

Media:
    Ah yes, the Glaswegian accent is supposedly even worse. I assumed that because I heard an Edinburgh native complaining that she couldn't understand them when they spoke! Therefore I came up with the following conclusion: the Scots "skip" a few letters as they talk, which is why you don't always get what they say. The Glaswegians skip entire words :D

@Bion: I was just starting to feel better before I read your post! Seriously, research is mostly frustration and things not working out. But then, this is what makes is so rewarding when something does work.
    It is overwhelming being in a new country, trying to build a new life from scratch, but at least I've chosen a hell of a good place to do that!

@Charlie: Well, there's this really huge and stunningly beautiful... villa? castle? palace? whatever you would call it, that I passed by yesterday... My first thought was, "Who lives here?", followed a millisecond later by, "I want this" :D
    I'm guessing J.K. could easily afford the place if she wanted to. I'll check it out and let you know!

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If you have time, take a trip over to N.Ireland, the ferry from Stranraer (Scotland) to Larne (N.Ireland). Its less than £20, and I believe is less than 1 hour travel time.

Actually if anyone fancies visiting Ireland, I can put people up for a few days and I know all the cool places to visit.

For Trainspotting (the movie, not the hobby) fans, try reading the book, I gave up on the first chapter, as it was so difficult to read in Glaswegian.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.