1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A more realistic chart of intelligence in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Rednik, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Alright everybody, I'll make this simple. Let's test everyone's intelligence here.

"The Karate Kid" is the most important movie ever made. EVER. True or False

(Hint: If you answer 'false,' you are dumb - regardless of your state.)

I got your scientific charts...right here.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

It was the most important movie ever made for Ralph Macchio....

Welcome back bunny...I think I've missed you.

3. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hack - Basically, you don't like what I said in my post, therefore it is wrong. God, I love that logic! (Maybe post some data or facts, instead of your typical emotion-laced one-liners and you might convince someone of something.)

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Ankiseth, you were the one who made the assertion that the dems are better informed the the reps. So the burden of proof is on you, not hackiehack.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Hacken Slash and Ankiseth Vanir

I really don't like repeated displays of animosity. If there's a need to vent, there's always the PM option available.

6. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31

Amaster, I believe this has been posted numerous times already (that is why I neglected to bring up the link):

The separate realities of Bush and Kerry voters.

And, Beren, there is no animosity. It's not a personal attack, I was just giving him a suggestion on how to better convince people of his viewpoints. For instance, "facts" and/or "logic" are usually a nice thing to have handy when arguing a point. Nothing more than constructive criticism, really.

[ Extending the benefit of the doubt, it still counts as a personal message and better for PM. ] - Beren

[ November 14, 2004, 16:53: Message edited by: Beren ]

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well now that's an interesting little survey. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with their described methodolgy, and I am sure I'm not comfortable with the absurd slant given in their analysis. Languagesuch as "the tendency of Bush supporters to ignore dissonant information...." is very, very revealing. About the people responsible for the poll.

I'm tempted to google to learn more of the folks involved with administering this poll.

8. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I've heard that an interesting way to look at State by State intelligence would be to consider illiteracy rate among the work force. Both California and New York fall above the national average. Aren't they both blue states?

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is the "culture gap" in action. Believe me, Sprite, I live in the hotbed of the Bushies and the talk on the other side is even worse. Kerry really is just a "dang faggot-loving Yankee, liberal, Catholic!" This kind of narrow minded bigotry is a daily part of the culture of the old South. What's eerie is that the divide lines are becoming more sharply delineated with each election between the red and blue states.

Of course it's not as simple as all that. But there was a real lesson in the last election: Issues really don't matter. What matters is what each man represents to either side of the cultural divide. Democrats attempted to run on the issues (silly them). They, and some of the rest of us, have learned that it was about the MAN, and not the good of the country that was at stake. Don't look for them to make that mistake again.

Dems thought that a vast number of Americans were laying awake at night worrying about their sons and daughters dying in Iraq, what kind of education their children might be getting, or if they had enough helthcare and social security to get them through their senior years - heaven forbid they should loose their jobs to outsourcing.

No, the election proved that a slim majority of Americans really lay in bed at night worrying that the gays were taking over the country, that stem cell research would create a population of Frankensteins, and that kids couldn't make a huge ceremonial drama out of praying in school, rather than learning the proper grammar to write a prayer of their own - let alone the ability to READ a prayer; better to have TV evangelists spoon-feed them their prayers anyway.

So, as a disappointed Jefferson once remarked, "it is what it is."

[ November 16, 2004, 07:59: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

10. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31

Let me see how well I can deconstruct this statement. You found two blue states that fall above the national average. So how many states total would have an illiteracy rate "above the national average?" Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell because you failed to post a source. If it is an average simply against other states it would mean that 25 states would fall above the average. Due to the fact that a source was conveniently left out, I think our null hypothesis is that the other 23 states are red.

Regardless, "illiteracy rates" are a poor proxy for voter intelligence for a number of reasons. First of all, I doubt that the illiterates make up much of a voting block. Second, as is the case with California, the illiteracy rates are skewed upward due to the high numbers of illegal immigrants.

Hack, even though illiteracy rates are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, could you post the source anyway? I'm interested in reading it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.