1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Month With Gore As The President...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    because missiles are the most effective method of delivering these weapons, it is not as simple as opening a container in a public place, some of the more lethal biological strains need to be delivered with other agents in an aerosol, otherwise they would die on contact with the nitrogen in the air

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Not really, haven't you been watching the FOX show: 24? Terrorist hid a nuclear warhead somewhere in LA, and if it weren't for magical agents who can do anything, the whole city would go: BOOM!!! :rolleyes:

Also look at what's going on between Israel and Palistine. Sucide bombers are running a muck over there. :rolling:

[ February 19, 2003, 21:57: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Considering the 9-11 parallels with Tom Clancy novels, what's to keep a N. Korean terrorist (or patriot, I suppose, depending on your point of view and dictionary) from shipping a bomb to Mexico, taking it off the boat, putting it on a truck hidden with legit stuff, crossing the border and blowing up, let's say, Mile High Stadium in Denver? Nothing much. No missile necessary.

4. Shoshino

Media:
    whats to stop him? the bomb would detonate and destroy antyhign but the most resilient chemical agents with it

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting that a biological would be sensitive to an inert gas such as Nitrogen. Also interesting that one would consider a missile more effective than a human operated device such as a crop duster.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's all about spreading the damage out [in the case of nuclear weapons] or spreading the chemicals / bacterial agents etc.

It's not for nothing that a nuclear warhead is not made to explode on impact, but about a mile or so up in the air.

Maximum damage can only be obtained from a missile based system. You simply would not get the spread from a ground based system.

As far as spereading using crop dusters, I'm unsure if you can reach the concentration levels required for any real damage by spraying it into the air like that.

As far as worrying about nuclear devices being smuggled into the US? This has to be very low risk indeed. If these were massmarket then I'm sure we'd have a problem, but they're not. It's hard to make, it's hard to get hold of the materials required, and for a home made device, it would be hard to transport inconspicuously.

We are certainly all at a far greater risk getting killed in a car accident than in a terrorist attack. I know I don't worry about car accidents on a daily basis.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    First, a missile is not the only air-based delivery system. Second, I don't think a terrorist is going to care much if they don't happen to get "maximum" damage out of their device as long as they get the opportunity to detonate it near a place of their choosing.

What do you imagine a crop duster is used for? And what do you imagine a missile-based delivery system is going to do?

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This has gone off topic a bit from the original question, but I'll put my 2 bits in on delivery systems. With a missile, you don't risk any of your own people on that operation (as opposed to a bomber, who has to be over the target and can therefore be attacked by anti-aircraft systems). Now, Al-Quada has proved that they don't need a missile system to make an impact, but suicide missions are not viable in the long run -- it's basically like playing chess with absolutely no defence. A missile system (particularly an Intercontinental system) lets you strike with no risk to a soldier. The problem is, if the other guy has a missile system that is superior to yours, he's going to use some simple math, backtrack your missile, and eliminate your ability to ever strike him again. In the case of America, nukes aren't even necessary to do this. But America doesn't want to lose assets to a primary attack, even if they can counterstrike with superior force, so they are trying to stop anyone from getting a missile delivery system. I'm sure that they are also trying to deal with the problem of other, more insidious and less easily tracked attacks, like BTA's cropduster spreading biological disasters, or a nuke hidden in a semi-truck.

[ February 20, 2003, 18:47: Message edited by: Depaara ]

9. Shoshino

Media:
    missiles are much easier, the only reason the planes got to the WTC was because there was a massive hostage situation on board the planes, they couldnt just shoot them down, if you used a crop duster, you would be intercepted long before you reached civilisation

10. Viking Gems: 19/31

Well, I imagine a crop duster is used for, eh, spraying crops?

It's a matter of concentration, crop agents are sprayed very fine which would be damned near useless for a chemical or biological agent aimed at humans.

Amy Smithson, Washington Post

Full article here attempting to dispell some of the myths anyway.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    A tradeoff of one or a few for several thousands dead is not viable? Especially when there are plenty more where that came from, and it only takes 9 months to make a new generation of replacements? I'd say as far as terrorists are concerned, they'd run out of weapons before they ran out of people willing to die employing them.

Missiles are only easier if you have missile technology.

By the time they realized the planes were hijacked and fighters were scrambled from Otis ANG (Massachusettes), there were maybe 5 minutes before they hit the WTC; not enough time to determine what was happening and intercept.

Small planes are easy to take anywhere you want. There have been a few that actually invaded the White House airspace, which for obvious reasons is restricted. How easy would it be to take one where the airspace is not restricted?

My point is that a crop duster is a simple human-operated machine designed to spray chemicals that kill things. You think one couldn't be easily modified for use in chemical/biological delivery? Or that given the example, one couldn't come up with a simple delivery system mounted to a plane?

[ February 21, 2003, 04:35: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

There are other nasty things that could be mounted in a crop duster, and the duster does not have to come all the way from a foreign country. What about some sort of agent that doesn't effect humans per se, but infects crops, destroying the economy of rural states like Kansas? You smuggle the stuff in or create it in some little lab in the Ozarks (easily done; just look at all the meth labs in North America), mount it in a crop duster, and wipe out a few crops! Not a weapon of mass destruction, but certainly an economic attack that could be painful for the target country.

13. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Man, the awareness factor hasn't lifted much since last I was around.

Not only will a crop duster do the job, but there were also reports of Saddam moving small planes away from inspectors. Going speculation is that those were cropdusters.

And the next time someone tries to hijack a plane, two things will stop him: a crewload of pissed off Americans who will give their lives to stop the *******, and a fighter jet that will shot it down before it can do any damage. President Bush has already announced that that's what will happen.

14. Viking Gems: 19/31

Shralp,

The awareness facor eh?

Like:

And there're gonna fly these straight from Iraq to spray cities in the US right? Which is kinda what we were talking about...

[ February 22, 2003, 01:32: Message edited by: Viking ]

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I suppose that comment would go straight to the point that it's not just America in danger from Iraq's volatility.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This will probably be dismissed as I cant refer to a source but I know I saw an interview with an expert on biological and chemical weapons who said that there is absoletely no threath from crop dusters. It is a pointless way to spread anything, what it sprays down would blow away and disperse before it could do any harm. If it had been an working weapon dont you think that the military forces of the world would have had some in their arsenal? Or atleast experiemented with it?

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Joacqin - Are you saying there is no delivery system for chemical/biological weapons, or are you saying that a missile or artillery shell can do something a plane cannot?

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If what you say is true, Joaqcuin, then why do people crop dust? Did you mean that it isn't an effective way to poison or effect people, as opposed to crops? I was always under the impression that Agent Orange was spread by water bombers, which are kind of like crop dusters. I know for a fact that Agent Orange had some pretty heinous effects on people as well as foliage, but I could be wrong about its delivery method.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What I generally are saying is that dusting crop and dusting people are two far different things. Chemical and biological warfare just isnt very effective compared to conventional arms. What the cropduster do the crops is to cover it in the toxin which the insects then eat, they dont die because they are getting sprayed at but because they eat the poison. Would you lick off the stuff the cropduster sent down on you in a chemical attack BTA?

Agent Orange probably were delivered like waterbombing but it was designed to kill foilage. That some people in the area later developed cancer or got sterile isnt a trademark for a terrible anti-personell weapon. Atleast not a very efficient one.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Regardless of how crop duster poisons work or don't work, chemical an biological weapons are designed to be effective without the victim having to eat it. Either it affects the skin/mucous membranes directly, or it is absorbed through the skin, or it is effective when inhaled.

Here is my observation: There exist delivery systems for chemical and biological weapons (missile, bomb and artillery); they must be effective, otherwise they wouldn't be made.

My question is then: What can bombs, missiles and artillery shells do with regard to delivery of chemical/biological weapons that a much simpler system such as a crop duster can't?

The only answer I can think of (which certainly doesn't imply there are no others, hence my question), is that missiles and artillery can have a certain element of surprise that a slow moving plane cannot, so if you are prepared, perhaps you can protect yourself in time. But what if you're not expecting an attack?

[ February 24, 2003, 16:40: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.