1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A modest proposal

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Grey Magistrate, Feb 18, 2004.

1. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

And it would be correct too! Fortunately I never said ANYTHING about "optimum specimens". I made a distinction between a fetus and a human being.

I disagree. I think if we all did a little more critical thinking and less cynicism and bashing of science and rationality we would be a WHOLE lot better off.

But that is besides the point since science is only a means for understanding our universe and not a moral barometer or something we should be using in every aspect of our lives. If one had to choose between saving one's own life and having an abortion, I don't see how science will figure into the decision beyond giving insight into the probabilities involved.

"Ever narrowing focus of it's gaze"??? That was worth a chuckle but lay off the atomic horror melodrama. Science's gaze is ever WIDENING...always shining the light of discovery into the dark corners of our universe. Always expanding the possibilities of human achievment.

As I said before: a fetus is not a human(at least not while it is a fetus in the first trimester). Think of how many "humans" you have murdered masturbating by your own logic.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My count is in at 10,472,944 half persons. Wahoo! Shura would be proud... if he could still use the forum... :o

3. Philonious Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

First off, a minor technicality, early abortions don't involve a fetus, they involve a collection of cells with the potential of developping into a human (much like the sperm and egg cells that combine to form these cells). Abortionis outlawed after the 1st trimester in order to avoid that kind of silly argument. The things don't have brains or heart anything functional, and as such would be very difficual to classify as "human"

Second and more importantly, the idea of pro-choice, is that the woman who is pregnant has the choice to continue in that state or not. For whatever reasons they can determine what happens to their bodies, and NOBODY (certainly not any of US) should have the power to dictate what they do.

Any I doubt that anyone here will argue that I have a better understanding of their lives, and that I should be making decisions for them. Nor should we decide whether a girl is ready to undergo pregnancy (which is surprisingly, a huge deal).

Morover, the interpretation of evolution that is presented in the clip, while not perfect, it makes a lot of sense. A woman should be allowed to choose the circumstances under which she becomes pregnant and has a child, and will most likely choose to do so when the child has a greater likelihood thrive. Since having children will impact her life, her health and her body, the right to choose is hers and hers alone. She will likely also have the potential infant's best interests in mind as well.

Now you could counterargue with a bunch of silly crap involving responsibility, and they could have made the choice not to have sex or something. This to is ridiculous because we really are in no position to judge anyone, let alone someone who is pregnant and unhappy about it.

An abortion is nothing like a tooth extraction, it is an emotionally draining decision that will likely impact a woman for the rest of her life, and if she believes that it is the necessary course than who are we to judge? No one will go around getting abortions willy nilly, but maybe a few young women can go on living their lives as they see fit.

Deep breath, rant done.
    Thank you and goodnight.

4. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG]
    A coma is not brain death.

If I ever suffer an accident and it results in brain death - I would be dead. I would have lost that special part of me that makes me human.

This actually reminds me of an incident where a baby was born without a brain - actually the top of the head starting around the base of the nose. Clearly this was not a human being.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Everybody, enough with the personal stuff already.

[ February 21, 2004, 05:38: Message edited by: Beren ]

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Very :yot: but what the hell:
    Damn. I'm always missing out on the personal flames :(
    The strict moderation of the board is both a blessing and a curse. (Conflict often equals enternainment for the non-partisipants).

Anyways...
    I'd like to post my congratulations to Blackhawk on his defence of the coma hypothetical situation. Well done! Would have said the exact same thing myself but it seemed slightly personal so I let you handle it :) (Aren't I nice?)

[ Stick to the topic please ] - Beren

[ February 21, 2004, 05:30: Message edited by: Beren ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.