1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Little More Tolerance, Please

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Splunge, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    L.K.D., I assume your post was directed at least in part at me. However, if you read my previous posts, you will see that I am not denying your right to your opinion. I am also not necessarily calling you a bigot; see my post on the 1st page regarding the definition of bigotry and prejudice – based on your post, I don’t think your opinions amount to prejudice, as I don’t detect any hostility towards gays.

And I agree with Laches; Divel’s post was uncalled for (except for maybe the “turkey” part).

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @LKD

I gotcha' back, bro. :thumb:

@ Divel

For someone so new, you presume to know an awful lot about Keldin and his beliefs, when I can assure you my friend that you don't. Laches covered most of what I wanted to say, so I won't go into too much detail.

Disagreeing with someone is one thing. Outright belittlement is something else. I've disagreed with Keldin before - specifically on this issue, in fact. But why you feel the need to patronize and insult someone to get your point across is beyond me. LKD is a good guy and is certainly no bigot. Your post only proves you know nothing about him. If you were just trying to be witty here, you failed. Grow up a bit, huh? :rolleyes:

You're kidding, right? You haven't earned the right to be this cocky here.

@ Splunge, LKD, Yago, Laches

Here's a question, regarding the jokes.

Some of the best gay jokes I've ever heard I heard from my gay friends. They think they're hilarious. Just like I used to think Mormon jokes were hilarious, and drummer jokes back when I was in a band, etc. My gay friends see nothing wrong with the jokes. They felt that anyone who used these jokes for prejudicial effect were idiots not worth the time of day. Perhaps they're just less sensative than others, but to them it was nothing to fuss over, even when told by straights in a derogatory manner.

How do you feel about jokes like these when they are told BY a person from the particular group the joke is slamming? Is it wrong then, or just poking harmless fun at a mutually recognized subject?

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I think Depaara has put it very elegant in a short manner:

It depends on a busload of factors. You say, you find a lot of mormon jokes awesome. But I gather, that you parted from Utah and don't regret a lot of things left behind. But what would a stock-conservative-die-hard-mormonn think about it ? And what would you think of it, if someone tells mormon jokes by obviously letting slipping through that mormons ain't no good at all, all not even worth a dime ? As I stated before, jokes about cultural quirks are great. And you can't bring a good joke down. And it's no problem, telling jokes about such things. I say again "dogma". Because some people are offended by the idea of a black apostle..

And recent happenings on this board just show, that different people find different things offensive. And to find something offensive, it's not necesseray to be meant offensive. It all depends how it's received. Some people say, one more and I explode. And others say, huh ?

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    By and large, I agree. They have a great sense of humour about it, but that says to me that they are comfortable with who they are.
    Generally, if they're comfortable with these jokes, that's OK. Gays can tell gay jokes, Jews can tell Jewish jokes, blacks can tell black jokes (and use the "N" word), because they are poking fun at themselves. If I were absolutely sure that a person from that group was not going to be offended if I told them the same joke, then I would do so, but I would evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.

5. Troll Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] @Laches, Strawman, Over The Rainbow, :lol:
    It works on so many different levels that I yeild. I've attempted to deflame my post.

Maybe this is off topic, and maybe I don't care.

I have spent today in Real Life apolegizing to people from the real ethnic group with rising power. Its called Everybody Else.

Everything that people do to me and say to me, I take on the chin. If I say or do the same thing to someone else, out comes the mobile phone and they make a call to the police or their rent-a-laywer.

The higher the rewards for reporting someone for percieved infringments of their civil liberties, the thinner greedy people's skin becomes.

I really feel like pinning society's Tolerance problems on lawyers, but I can't. (It would be nice though).

People have found a new avenue down which to pursue financial gain. The consequences to the alleged perputrators that are demonised and lied about doesn't matter. Sue your neighbour, you have nothing to lose and everthing to gain. People that stand up and say 'Hold on, this is not what these laws were for' are just spoiling it for the ravenous horde of grab-all-you-can, screw everyone else, humans.

People are now too afraid to speak to their neighbours, except through electronic viels or the preset filters of commercial transactions. All other communication has become too dangerous, it is too likely to open people up to scorn or actual prosecution for saying the wrong thing.

To the few good people that are left, all I can say is shut your windows, lock your doors, turn your back on the world. Its people are so impatient to get to hell that they are digging a hole called litigation.

To the many bad people who are reading this,

Trip on your foot paths, so that the taxpayers don't get new schools.

Fall while you are hiking so that the farmer closes his lands to all walkers.

Take offence at what people say about you so that your employer never hires your kind again.

Sue every business you can find that causes you a moments irratation, make them close down.

Do it all, and then do it all again. Its your right. And they would do it back to you if they could.

What have you got to lose. Nothing that you wouldn't freely exchange for bigger, and more and faster and right now.

I'm finished.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Divel - I don't agree with everything in your rant, but most of what you commented on makes enough sense to cause you to stop and think about how bad things have gotten. Isn't it a shame that the lawyers and lobbyists (consultants) ruin most everything we try to accomplish?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.