1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Job Without Math

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by reepnorp, Feb 9, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Heh, with such pretty justifications as his, even floor cleaning requires geometrical assessment.

Newsposting is a regular job on some internet news sites and I can't think of any maths involved in it unless you have to compare dates and it counts, but you could have one whose duties don't include anything that requires checking the dates.

Or does making sure there's only one space or line-break in a row count? :rolleyes:

Tell him to name his job and I'll tell you how it involves maths. :p

Counselling doesn't require maths. Logic, yes. But not maths per se.

Edit:

@Splunge: Someone could come up with mathematical rules in a language, like adjective order or which syllable counting from the end carries the accent or some such. And there's also checking for word repetitions, like using the same verb in three consecutive sentences.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He has got to be kidding. Put on an outfit, see how much it covers - how does this in any way involve math? He's really grasping at straws here.

OK, how about a volunteer proof-reader? Highlight the mistakes, and pass it on.

Edit: fixed typo (ironically enough :D )

[ February 10, 2005, 01:35: Message edited by: Splunge ]

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Bodyguard?

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

This mathematics teacher is really bugging me. :flaming: It's an issue with some teachers that they think their subject is the most important, & this sounds like an attempt to justify it.

He's clearly just realised, as Morgoth pointed out, that maths is a way of describing reality (the "language of nature", if you will), and asked people to come up with things that can't involove maths at all. Impossible!

He's just gonna keep re-defining what he means by "maths", so it fits the problem. Clearly, the only relevant measure is "what jobs don't involve using the maths you teach". I'm willing to bet that would be a good deal larger list!

& add to that he's a slimy coward for only offering a bonus of 2%, just in case someone does crack it!

To Baator with him! ... & let the Abishai have a go ... :evil:

5. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I'll be curious to hear the answer to this, and it better be good!

6. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Philosopher?
    Perhaps an English teacher, as they don't receive an hourly wage, they get a flat rate. But if he's counting any job in which you're paid, that makes it more difficult.
    My best guess is a painter.

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As for an English teacher, there's always marks involved.

8. Blog Gems: 23/31

Panhandler? He only gets paid, but I'm guessing we assume pay and money doesn't count.

Painter - need to figure out amount of paint needed for the job. Don't want to buy too much or too little.

Philosopher - it has logic involved, which is closely related to math. (Set theory... ugh)

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Mime - what math skills do they need?

10. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Depth perception. Geometry at its best...

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Damn! Punk rock bassist?

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

4-, 5- or 6- string bass?

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

There is math involved in any kind of instrument playing

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Do you think Sid Vicious even know how to count?

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

He wasn't a very good bassist but that makes no difference.

16. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Game show host, perhaps? Unless we're talking about being paid, they don't use math at all -- they just ask the questions on the card, and then look at the card again to see if the contestant answered correctly. And if there's a timer involved, it's usually just controlled by a button, or by another person entirely.

17. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hermit?

Bum? (sorry, I couldn't think of the other word :( )

Living Statue (a bit like Mimes, but more exciting. Mimes are scary, too, while Living Statues are not)?

Freelance "No"-sayer? (Oh wait, that must be your teacher's side job. :p )

I want to repeat my wishes for that teacher, but with a slight correction:

May he be eaten by the UR-GRUE!

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Messiah - dead so not using maths, paid in praise.

On the same line of thought corpse as it is an occupation where the payment is in memory but maths is not used.

Or if you are feeling flippant then tell him/her that the answer is 'you' since they are not teaching or using maths by asking that question they're trying to teach philiosophy while elevating their own self-importance.

Also people in coma's are paid by being on life-support machines (equalling money) and they aren't using maths,

@Jahara7 the more common word for bum is beggar or homeless.

19. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks, Lazy Bonzo. That was the word. :)

20. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    His answer: *drumroll*

A free-verse, or free-hand poet. Then he proved himself wrong, becuse they would need to know the number of lines and such in sonnets, so they know not to do them. He even came up with a lame excuse for whatever job it is that the woman on Wheel of Fortune has. Like come on!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.