1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A cleric is having fun ...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by thetruth, Feb 22, 2006.

1. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

UPDATE

Improved Abazigal :

Draconis was too easy for my cleric.In his human form, his spells could not damage me enough.In his Dragon form he was nothing special too,since Draconis is one of the few enemies unimproved by my mods and with the usual buffs + prot.from acid he fell fast enough to my Energy Blades .

The battle with improved Abazigal was,by far, the fight I enjoyed the most during my cleric's solo. (and the battle with the best soundtrack too :D )

Before entering his lair, I buffed a lot: Prot.from electricity,cold 100% (scrolls), Ch.Commands,D.Ward,Prot.f.Evil, Armor of Faith,H.Power,R.Magic,B.Barrier,T.Seeing and Energy Blades.

I decided to ignore Abazigal and Tamah (the purple dragon) at the beginning.
    I was running all over the place,throwing energy blades at the 4 kind of-wyverns (very tough and they do a lot of dmg on insane) trying to avoid Abazigal's hits and Tamah's wing buffets.Fortunately Ch.Commands made me immune to Tamah's psionics and maze and I managed to kill every wyvern and frost Salamander.

Then it was Tamah's turn.I casted more Energy Blades,continued to avoid Abazigal and Tamah could damage me only with some of her wing buffets,since I was hitting her from a safe distance and could avoid her breath weapon too.I disrupted her spellcasting a few times and after 3 sets of energy blades she was dead .

There was only Abazigal still alive.He is probably more dangerous in his human form,as he is the best fighter in the game and although I had 50% resistance to slashing (AoF+Flail Defender) he could hit me for +40 damage on insane :eek: .I decided to waste no more energy blades and I started attacking him from distance with my sling and +4 bullets.But for a strange reason he was immune to my attacks :skeptic:
    I had no other choise than to engage in melee.I kept running away from him to renew my buffs, I cast also a stoneskin from the Gargoyle's boots and I attack him.After some time and thanks to my rods of Resurrection (I used all 3 of them in this fight ! ) I defeated his human form and he transformed in dragon.

I was left with only 3 sets of energy blades, so I had to use them very carefully.Also I forgot to memorize Shield of the Archons for this fight ( :bang: ), so I had to invent something to avoid his imprisonment.
    I cast simulacrum and we start attacking him with energy blades.But Abazigal continued to cast stoneskins (damned Force-spells :mad: ) and my simulacrum was unsummoned shortly after.

I had only ONE set of energy blades and even worse Abazigal had not used yet his imprisonment...
    I pause the game.I had still the 2 scrolls of Protection from Magic but I wanted them both for the fight against improved Sendai.But when I opened my Bag of Holding I look at the Book of the infinite spells.I had Spell Turning memorized and it should be enough to protect me from Abazigal's imprisonment.I use it...

After a while,indeed, Abazigal casts Imprisonment.Of course he could not be interrupted :rolleyes: ,but the spell turning worked .Well the spell didn't turn to Abazigal (he must be immune to imprisonment) but at least I was safe for the moment.I cast my final e.blades spell and attack him.
    But then Abazigal casts Maze.I was still protected by the Spell Turning and this time not only it protected me from his Maze, but the spell turned to him !!!

Not having any time to lose: I take off my armor,put on the upgraded Cloak of prot. +2 and cast imp.haste.Put on my armor again and cast my usual buffs.Abazigal was still mazed so I could summon some Aerial Servants too.Then he appeared and we start attacking him.The Aerial Servants died fast to his Breath Weapon and I was taking some serious damage from his continuous wing buffets.I had few HPs left when finally I killed him with my flail.

Both of you want to see me dead, don't you ? :D
    OK.Now it's Sendai's turn (or...mine :p )

2. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually I think Ascension is what gave Draconis that whole immunity to detection while invisible trick. I don't remember him having that power before I installed that particular mod.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@thetruth: WOW!! :eek: Even though I've got a run going at the moment, its nowhere near as much fun as yours!! :D Heh...can you take a video of the Improved Sendai battle and upload it to rapidshare or something? PLEASE!! :D

This is crazy...a single-class cleric beating Improved Abazigal, Irenicus...whoo!

Just one last thing...don't let the guys who wrote Tactics read this thread!! They'll just update the mod again with all their bosses having SI:Necromancy (for Harm I think), or a lvl 90 Antipaladin with a scroll of Protection from Magic active... :rolleyes:

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, what can I say? Killing Abazigal has proven to be a worthy challenge to you at the very least. And I know this is indeed FUN! I am glad that you were able to defeat him and have fun at the same time! We all play this game for fun, right?

Err, no I don't want to see your cleric dead, not especially at the hands of b*** queen Sendai. :( I hate her corrupted black guts, I tell you! :shake: I just thought you could really teach her a lesson. Go for it! May the gods protect and preserve you as they always did...

(hehehehe cheesy Timestop+ranged Harms, continous Improved Alacrities and all other drow helpers, who cast good stuff. I hope you won't CTRL+Y the drow crowd when they become too agitating. Tip:Dispel Magic and LOTS of Fire Storms should kill them all! The sheer carnage!)

Have fun! And keep us updated!

5. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

UPDATE

Improved Sendai :

Ehm... :mommy:

WARNING : Those of you who expected to read about the epic and glorious battle of a solo cleric against the most powerful (and ...cheesiest) of the childs of Bhaal and her endless army of Drows, ...well, you are going to be disappointed.
    Simply because it was not at all like that .

This is what happened :

I enter Sendai's enclave and the battle begins.I kill all of her statues and the incoming guards without any problem.
    Before I kill the last statue, I drink a potion of invisibility,run away and save the game.Now I could buff my cleric: H.Power,R.Magic,Armor of Faith,Boon and improved haste from the imp. cloak of protection +2.
    I kill her last statue and immediately Sendai makes her entrance...

Sendai is a cleric/mage of 20/20 levels,who has 84% MR, INFINITE spells,permanent improved Alacrity,can use Dimension Door at will and of course her spellcasting cannot be interrupted (Force spells).During the battle Elite Drows (warriors,wizards,priests) keep coming from the entrance at the rate of 2 drows / 2 rounds.All of them are of + 20 level with some HLAs (GWW attacks and others) and the mages cast high level spells (like the improved comet and others).

Anyway back to the fight...
    After Sendai enters the room, she immediately summons 2 Fallen Devas and 4 invisible stalkers and INSTA-casts 10-15 protective spells all at once.Then she casts 3 Project Images and each of them casts more protection-spells + SI: Divination,Conjuration,Abjuration while the real Sendai remains invisible and undetectable.

I had to use again my old tactic of invisibility (the one of my fighter's solo).
    Immediately I use one of my precious Rings of Air Control for the imp.invisibility (I have 30 of them, just in case... :D ) and I move my cleric to the right part of the room.Of course the Devas attacked me but with my buffs I killed them and the i.stalkers quite easily.I was under improved invisibility all the time and since Sendai's PIs don't have True Sight,they could not target me with their spells.
    Also I stayed at the right part of the room so that Sendai's Drows could not see and attack me.

Then I continued ...counting.Yes.I was using the rings of air control for two reasons:

a) For the invisibility.
    b) To calculate the time.Every charge of the ring lasts for 10 rounds.

After the second ring's invisibility had worn off, immediately I cast a Dispel Magic at the spot where I had last seen the Real Sendai.
    She HAD to be there as,per definition,a caster using PI cannot move.And since SI lasts 1 round/level,her SI: Abjuration should have worn off too.Indeed I see the wonderful message: Sendai - Dispel Effects !!! And her Protection from Fire was gone ...
    And even better Sendai was trapped by her own tactic.With the PIs around she could not move ! (this is what happens to those who use too much...cheese :evil: :D )
    I didn't have any time to lose.I cast immediately 4 Firestorms and the rest is ... history .

Now Balthazar is next ...

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've been following this thread for some time, and I have to say I'm impressed. This is an exercise in intelligent combinations, rules-lawyering and engine-abusing at its finest - by the player, the modders and the game!

As Jasper St. Baird says, no matter how powerful the villain, they are reduced to nothing when set against the IF-THEN block. The Improved Sendai modder should have given Sendai a longer sight range, it seems...

thetruth, my hat's off to you... or at least, it would be, if I had one.

7. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ NonSequitur

Thanks for the kind words.

Of course,I don't forget that nothing of this would be possible if I could not exploit the game's poor AI ;)

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Man...

At first I thought you were beaten hard by Sendai. But you killed her so fast. Like nothing. My...my...I am speechless. Really...

I hope you won't kill Balthazar eh? You will need a firm ally in the last battle to come! Good luck! I am %100 sure you can do it too!

9. starwalker Gems: 16/31

You know. if she didn't cast those damned spell immunities in order then she would have been spared. I love Fire storm though. It's got some massive damage.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@thetruth: NO!! Abazigal was SOOO cool, I had really gotten my hopes high for this one! Ah well... :( There's always Ascension!! You'll get another go at Sendai! :D He he he...

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Now now, we really don't want to see your cleric slaughtered, that is for sure! :good:

:shake: Forgive Faraaz's over-excitement! :shake:

12. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ Starwalker

Exactly ;) .Since she likes cheating,she could just cheat a little more.Or simply recast Protection from Fire since with those Force Spells,she can cast whatever she wants even under 100 firestorms...

@ Silverstar

Hey I am not that bloodthirsty ! I can assure you that the first thing I do when I come upon an enemy is to talk to him about God,love and all that ... :pope:
    But I don't know why they never listen to me :( :p
    Anyway yes,I will try to convince Balthazar to join me in the final battle ;)

Thanks Silverstar,although I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.It will be too difficult...

Fortunately my cleric would never have such a problem.With 3-4 firestorms he can kill 30-40 drows at once.No one has fire resistance.
    But my fighter could not do this.The only thing he could do was fighting in melee.
    Unfortunately in this battle if I don't kill Sendai fast enough,her drows create many problems to my PC (both computer and character :D ).
    I play BG on a Pentium II with an old graphic card and when 30-40 drows attack me at once,the game slows down,freezes and sometimes crashes too :(
    Note: I am not sure at all if my fighter would be able to kill all those drows.Yes I had 3 potion-cases full with 300 p.of superior healing (I like beeing prepared for every situation :D )and 3 rods of resurrection,but I will never know ...

Now I am afraid that I will face the same problems against Melissan too (since it is on insane).With my party I could kill her Demons fast enough and even then I had PC slowdowns.Now that I am solo I don't know what to do to avoid similar problems :confused:

@ Faraaz

Unfortunately yes,although Melissans' Demons is what puzzles me more :D :(

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Heh heh heh, yes all that demons will give you headache. I am sure they are pretty resistant to firestorms too.

Your best bet may be using new and spiffy Bhaal abilities, like unleash and control demons. Ah, and pray to Lathander if he cares. :lol:

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31

In the normal ending Melissan uses demons that are all immune to fire. I'm not so sure in the Ascension ending but I know that at least part of them are the same ones.

So they will be immune to fire storm.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^This means trouble for your cleric pal, I have seen all those demons Melissan summons, they are terrific! :roll: You must think about something. Mind Flayer Criclets? Staff of Command? Anything? :o

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Bhaalpower RAVAGER! Just kill everything before the ravager change kills you! :)

My Wild Mage/Cleric's just going to cast Timestop with four Project Images, then Improved Alacrity...then...game over! I WIN! :D

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They should have implemented a nuke animation for when someone gets hit by 8 simultaneous Abi Dalzim's.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Henkie: Yep...I've got big hopes for NWN2 and BG3!! :D

@thetruth: You better take like a zillion screenshots of Ascension... :banana: I can't wait!!!

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, we are still waiting for your ascension! :roll:

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

^ Huh?? :confused: Mine?

I'll probly upload Improved Abazigal screenshots with updates first, as well as Improved Sendai...and then Balthazar as well...THEN we can start on Ascension.

All in all, it should take me a good few days, but guess what? Its the weekend! :banana: So I'll update properly soon.

PS: If you were talkin to thetruth, then disregard my last... :hahaerr:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.