1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A cleric is having fun ...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by thetruth, Feb 22, 2006.

1. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hey Truth. When you get the chance. Let us know if Bodhi can be turned.

2. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@ Silverstar

Now I am level 40 - XP cap.I don't have 50 l. mod.Every mod I have is listed above.

I have completed almost every quest from Ch. 2.
    And that's a lot of XP.Plus mods add other quests too.

I have used Korgan to trigger the Underground Shade Lord encounter.It was the only way (bug?).But the only thing he did was saying his lines and drinking a potion of invisibility.

And now I will take Valygar for a trip from Umar Hills to the door of the Planar Sphere.
    I could use his body to open the door...but a priest ... and good alligned ... :heh:

@ starwalker

That would be cool :D .But I don't think it's possible even for the unmodded Bodhi.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Modded Bodhi clearly points out that 'parlor tricks that hurt undead will have no effect on her', so I guess she is conveniently immune to turning, sunray, false dawn, undead disruption, etc. and maybe even protection from undead? She is truly a patriarch and a most worthy foe! :thumb:

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Matriarch, Silverstar. Bodhi would be a matriarch. :heh:

It's bothering me so I will ask. Truth, did you level up your cleric by fighting and doing quests or did you just CLUA the XP?

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Agh yes Matriarch, SORRY, my limited English failed me again, though I am pretty sure there is a word called Patriarch too right? :oops: (Damn I should study more vocabulary I guess!)

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yes. There is a word Patriarch too. That one applies to males. Matriarch applies to females.

And you never know. Afterall you would think they would have just plain made Kangaxx immune to turning.

7. Prine Gems: 11/31

Silverstar - don't sweat it, you're still miles ahead of most native English speakers. :)

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Thanks guys, aww I should have known that the word Patriarch was for males...sorry Bodhi, I didn'T mean anything! :grin:

9. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ kuemper

I played normally,doing all the quests.The only one I haven't done yet from ch.2 is the Planar Sphere.

@ Silverstar

Improved Bodhi is immune to turning.Also even if you use protection f. undeads scroll she can still see you.
    But even the original Bodhi, I don't think that can be turned,mainly because a dialogue has to be triggered when she is near death.That makes her immune to instant death IMO.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Then I guess improved Bodhi's CRE file is not even marked as 'undead'? To make her immune to everything which affects undeads? I am no modding expert but I guess it will be easier to code it that way?

11. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Hey thetruth this is another great run keep us updated!!!

I have a question though, where do you find a wand of the heavens with 96 charges?! (from your 1b screenshot in your quick item slot)

12. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

A brief update:

I am currently in Chapter 4,just arrived in Brynnlaw.

The Planar Sphere quests-battles (added by P.Sphere mod) did not present many problems for my cleric.
    The final battle with Melanthium was far from impossible with the right protections-tactic and the 1,5M of XP! is not justified IMHO (anyway wasted,since I had already reached the XP-cap).

Oh ... and guess what happened to Vecna's Shade ... :grin:

- But I had some problems with Grothgar the Red Dragon (from the Deeper Shadows of Amn mod).

He is one of the toughest dragons in the game.He doesn't use his breath weapon but he wing buffets many times/round and even worse he does it from distance too !!! Which means that you can hit him only once before he throws you away.If you choose to stay out of his visual range for some time he autoheals himself,but the best of his repertoire is the following:

When injured - to bad injured triggers his Chain Contigency : Mislead-Simulacrum and Grothgar heals himself after some seconds! It wouldn't be much of a problem if Grothgar didn't wear a cheesy type of the cloak of non-detection, that makes him immune to divination spells.That means that you have to fight 3 dragons and the real Grothgar cannot be detected! Fortunately he attacks only those near him and also his simulacum and his mislead-clone are easy to kill.Even with these tactics it would be possible to kill him, but when I killed his simulacrum and mislead I encountered this bug:

ANYTIME Grothgar gets to the injured status the chain contigency triggers :eek: Or in other words he has unlimited CCs memorized ! This means pratically that he cannot be killed.The only way would be instant death or a stat-draining death.He is immune to vorpal hits,finger of death and even when Harm bypass his MR and he is near death his c.contigency triggers before you can hit him another time !

I know that,since it is a bug,I could simply CTRL-Y him but I wanted to find a way to kill him without using it.
    After many reloads-experiments and when I was ready to give up,something amazing happened: I harm Grothgar,his CC triggers and the real one becomes invisible, but then his simulacrum wing buffets an aerial servant who was next to it.The aerial servant takes the damage BUT at the same time I see the wonderful message:
    Grothgar - Damage taken: 14
    Grothgar - Death.

His simulacrum had just killed him :D

- The poison encounter (from Tactics mod) outside of Watcher's keep was a bit tricky too.The solution here was Holy smite.

@ nataben1314

You can recharge any wand in the game by selling-buying it ;)

13. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Heh, I could never imagine that I would face a very difficult battle in SoA (at least before improved Irenicus) but unfortunately I was wrong.

My cleric is currently in ch.6,ready to face Bodhi but Lord Roenall has just invaded De Arnise Hold and (since I have the multiple strongholds component from Ease of Use) I was called to face him and protect my stronghold.
    Improved Battles mod has changed this little fight to a very challenging one.Now someone,in order to kill Roenall must first kill his soldiers.Otherwise he is invulnerable.His army consists of 2 groups:

The first one: 2 archers,an archimage,a Fighter-Thief,3 fighters and some summons (elementals,mord.swords,sk.warriors)

And the second (appears after I kill the first group): 2 archers,2 archimages,3 fighter-thieves,some fighters and more summons

The problem is that I have to kill ALL of them first and then Lord Roenall, in ONE hour :eek: (game time)!!!Otherwise I lose the stronghold!

All Roenall's soldiers are high level,well equipped (+2,+3 weapons and good armors) and have many healing potions.The archers shoot arrows of dispelling,the fighter-thieves have many potions of invisibility and on insane backstab for over 100 damage/hit!And the mages are very well scripted,with many protections and use remove magic and death spell a lot.

I have tried many different strategies in this battle, all without result.The problem is the 1 hour-limit.I can't see how a cleric can kill all of them in such a short time.My aerial servants even if I keep them out of the mages sight (death spell) cannot resist much.Roenall's soldiers can kill a deva in a few seconds!Energy blades+righteous magic + my other buffs help as long as the enemy mages don't cast remove magic...And recasting all of them takes a lot of precious time.

Well I don't know what else to do,so any suggestions would be welcome... :confused:

14. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Patriarch is male
    Matriarch is female

AFAIK at least

btw nice chunkin' Truth

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Heh I know this battle, it is so hard, right.

You need protection from dispelling right? Have you done ritual quest? The boots Irakoud'neg rewards you protects you from dispel, remove magic, breach etc. This way you can have an advantage. Not much, but it can help.

You need nice area effect spells to kill most of them at once. Use Holy Smites, but I am not sure if it will hit all of them, some may be neutral, but hopefully not good. Then again, you are the XP cap, so why not use a few Fire Storms? Or implosions! Greater Command could have been truly useful but all of the soldiers have a very cheesy save vs spell:1. :(

Good Luck and tell us the results!

BTW, Putting Deathward on your summons won'T protect from Death spell right? A pity.

16. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Holy smites have no effect since all of them seem to be of neutral allignment.Implosion is not the best for this fight since I have only 8 7-level spells and the enemies are many.Firestorms and Storm of Vengeance are the only good area-effect spells but it's almost impossible to cast them without beeing disrupted.Especially those fighter-thieves follow me wherever I go,even while I am invisible, ready to disrupt my spellcasting.Symbol Stun could help but,as you said,all of them have very good s.throws.

Yes the boots of preservation would help in this battle but unfortunately I haven't done the ritual yet and the problem is that I don't have the time to do it before the fight with Roenall.But even with the boots it is still extremely difficult to kill all of them just in one hour.

Yes.IIRC Baldurdash fixpack has ...fixed it.

The only thing I having tried yet is casting Gate and let 2-3 (improved) Pit Fiends take care of them :evil: .But I don't want to use this spell in my game...

17. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Well, thetruth, you've convinced me that I need to solo a cleric :D

18. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

:roll: At last I have managed to kill Roenall and his soldiers and once again the special abilities of a weapon gave the solution.
    The Staff of Command from the Illithid lair in the Underdark.
    After some tests I found out that it's special ability,Domination, unlike the mage-spell allows NO SAVE :eek: :whoa: and the duration is much longer.It can only be stopped by anything that gives immunity to domination,spell trap (I couldn't charm the archimages) and MR.It made the battle a lot easier and I managed to kill Roenall within the time limit.

I have also done the Ritual at Watcher's keep and killed that cheesy dragon,using the most powerful cleric spell.I cast Harm which fortunately bypassed his MR and my simulacrum finished him off with the ring of the Ram :D
    But the most incredible thing in the second screenshot is that my simulacrum,although I play on insane diff., survived his super cheesy breath weapon with a double saving throw ! Irakioudneg's breath weapon does part fire damage and part piercing damage and ignores fire resistance doing usually,on insane, >150 damage!

And now I have decided to do the Watcher's Keep before facing Bodhi.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well I did not know that staff was so powerful, I guess it is one of the best weapons then, why didn't I bother to try it?

Good job on defeating that cheesy Irakoud'neg. I didn'T know how his breath weapon managed to do so BIG damage always, so it does half piercing damage and pierces through fire resistance eh? Cheesy indeed, but at least this explains why some NPC's were blasted into tiny chunks (as if suffered massive pyschical damage). :shake:

Can'T wait to see how you will fare vs Imp. Irenicus! When will you go challenge him? Hmm? :banana: Ooh so exciting!

20. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

@ Silverstar

I didn't know it either :p .But one of the ''rules'' of soloing is to carry every special weapon in your bag of holding.You can never know when you will need it ;)

I have to finish Watcher's Keep first,then Bodhi and finally Irenicus.But I am not very optimist for that battle.Anyway we will see...

PS: [Off topic] What happened to your Druidic Sorcerer.Have you defeated Melissan?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.