1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A brother and computer problem

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Compulsive Dementia, May 6, 2003.

1. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

My brother's computer recently stopped working. He was playing baldur's gate, and the mouse started feaking yout, changing between walking and powerword kill quickspell, so if he tried to talk with some one, he would cast a spell and they would die. He tried to fix the problem by uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but the drive wouldn't read the disk and open it. He then tried to go online for help, but he couldn't connect. He then tried to reinstall windows, which still hasn't fixed the problem. Normally, I wouldn't care, but then he found out about some game website that he was desperately wanting to try out, so I let him. Unfortunately, he has become addicted and it occupies most of his time, and what should be my computer time. I told him that he should just spend this time figuring out how to fix it, but he seems to have no intention to do that. So I'm going to do a bit for him. He's pretty convinced that this is what happened- we tried to install neverwinter nights, but he didn't have a good enough video card, so it didn't work and we uninstalled it. Shortly after, that stuff started to happen, and he's convinced that that very large game blew his c-drive or something, and wants to buy a new cpu. I'm still convinced that there is a way to fix it, so does any one know how?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

When in doubt f-disk the c drive and reinstall windows from scratch. From my experience, windows is the source of at least 90% of all computer problems and just installing it over top of itself frequently does not fix the problem. If it worked before and doesn't work now then buying a new cpu is probably not going to help.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, Ditto to what JSBB said, and make sure you don't have Windows ME. It's a big turd-bomb. XP isn't perfect, but much better.

As far as the brother problem is concerned, if you're the older brother:

Kick his punk ass off the computer and show him who's boss! Two words for you, dude: Dead arm. One more word: Noogie. Show him who wears the pants at your house! :evil:

Now...if you're the younger brother:

Get that computer fixed and quit your whining, you little wuss boy! Get him some Cheetos, while your at it. Don't force him to give you dead-arms and noogies! (well, that's what MY older brothers would say...) :(

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    First of all, computers just donĀ“t go accidently kaputt in 1..2..3

I suggest a format, or f-disk, so you can make a seperate disk for the games, like I have..

5. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Without this thread starting to sound like a stuck record, if you can back stuff up that you want to keep, do so. Then reformat and install windows. It's very unlikely that your hard disk is damaged. If in doubt, run thourough scandisc and see if there are any bad sectors. But even if there is, i'd still recommend a format and install, as i think windows can just work around bad sectors once they are known to be bad.

6. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Looks like its FUBAR. A new CPU won't help. I tell you solemnly, if you attempted to fix it with all that hard core computer jargon and it didn't work, then it probably won't. I tell you solemnly, if you try and don't succeed, give up.

7. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That's certainly a FUBAR. Format(sp?) I say is the best solution to this problem.

:remembers all the lost savegames and other files: :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.