1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

9/11 the movie: see it before the terrorists.

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Equester, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I assume most have seen that soon a movie about the horibble attack on the world trade center will hit the world.
    Is it me or is this taking the whole 9/11 thing way to far?
    when the attack happened i was buying a jacket, the clerk said to me "in a couple of years "they" (the US) will make a movie about. and this will definitly mean war"
    firstly that was one scary clerk. secondly what are you guys thoughts on such a movie? is it to early to make, is it taking it too far or do you think the movie will justify what happened and give the world a glimpt of what happened?

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The clerk was wrong. The war has been going on for 30 years. The problem is one side doesn't realize they are at war. They will realize it when someone kills the Pope. Then we will have one humdinger of a war.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I do think it is too early for a movie. I just don't see the sense in dramatizing something that everyone still remembers. Heck, the people in charge, the leaders of the U.S. at that time are still in power. And the wars that came as a direct result of the attack are still being fought.

I don't have a problem when you see dramatizations of WWII or Vietnam. That's because a whole lot of people alive today were not yet born when these wars took place. Futhermore, a lot of the people who lived during these wars are now dead. It many ways, bringing in actors to recreate the events is the only way to get perspective on what was going on when those events took place. But 9/11 was only five years ago - everyone still remembers what happened.

I also think it is strange that 9/11 has been immortalized. There have been other tragic attacks in American history, but they aren't remembered by date. For example, I seriously doubt that a majority of Americans can tell you the date that Pearl Harbor took place (it was December 7).

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

As long as there's explosions involved, it's good enough for Hollywood. :shake:

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The other odd thing about the whole 9/11 immortalisation is the highlighting of the different way that Americans say their dates. It would be 11/9 for some of the rest of us.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh, please please! :shake:

Seriously though. This was always going to happen, whether you agree with it or not. And it'll take a load of bloody money in for the creators. Which of course, is what they're trying to do.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Perhaps that is the purpose of this movie - to try and show the leaders how it actually affects people, not how they pretend that it affects people.

8. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

But that assumes that the leaders watch the movies that are presented to the public - the 'unwashed masses'. :rolleyes:

But they don't, or if they do, they will 'see the movie' but not watch (erm, kinda like how someone can hear but not listen).

They know what they want to know, they know what they want to do, and they will do what they want; they always have and always will.

I would go on for a time about the futility of changing fate, but then what go would it do? ;)

Thanks for making me feel hard, green and translucent again - I've missed it. :D

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Most of the world does that? I know the U.S. military uses the day-month-year method of writing dates and we use that system for all our documents we produce, although I will admit that most people not in the service or working for the government write dates as month-day-year.

10. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Aye, I've seen some organizations here in Canada use MDY and others use DMY - doubtless the influence of our ten-times-the-population neighbour to the south. :)

But apart from some groups/parts of USA and Canada, my experience has been that everyone else uses Day-Month-Year.

To be honest, it makes a little more sense - it's a logical progression from the most specific element (day) to the least specific (year).

MDY on the other hand, hops from the middle element, then the smallest and on to the biggest. :skeptic:

Solely my opinion, but I'd rather be 'a DuMmY' than be 'MuDdY' ;)

11. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can't wait until they start making Iraq War II movies! There will be the same who's-an-ally & who's-an-enemy tension as in Vietnam movies, but with less tunnels and more car bombs. Unfortunately for the production companies, not all insurgents were identical black VC pajamas.

Some things will surprise people though...like did you know most Iraqi teenagers, especially the ones shooting at American and government forces, listen to American gangster rap? I think that's great!

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

"Unfortunately for the production companies, not all insurgents wore identical black VC pajamas."

Nah, don't worry about it. Taking creative liberties has been the proud (and, oh boy, used) prerogative of any movie industry. Tell you what, though - I'd love to see a vietnamese movie about the war in vietnam, just to have a bit of balance :D . I wonder what it will feature.

[ September 22, 2006, 01:32: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well Shaman, if it makes you feel better, Eastwood and Spielberg are doing two films set in Iwo Jima--one from the American perspective (out this fall), one from the Japanese perspective (out...sometime later).

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Gee, I hope the second has more of the "Japanese perspective" than Pearl Harbor did. Honestly, I saw an interview about it where an actor said he was happy to be in a film that tried to do a more neutral portrayal of the Japanese. Riiiight :)

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Considering what Eastwood's been saying...

I think we can rest easy. Oh, the release date for the second film will be maybe two months after the first.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.