1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

8 year olds acting like 28 year olds - Disturbia, USA

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, May 13, 2010.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Now that's some good input. Not that no one else's opinion matters, but if an insider says it's outside the bounds of good taste within the context of what is normally done and where the limits normally lie, I would tend to put some weight behind that. She would have professional knowledge of what discretion the instructor/choreographer should have used, and whether or not that person was lax in employing it.

I do think this is largely a matter of intent myself. I had to witness several training sessions of 6 year olds dancing to Elvis' 'Burning Love' a while ago, and while I found that a bit disconcerting, the fact that it wasn't being sent up as 'hot smut' seemed to mollify my discomfort to some extent.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Let's put it this way: Dancing with the Stars uses more conservative outfits than that.

I'm not worried for the kids at all, since they probably have no idea what any of it means. I'm deeply worried about the parents and choreographer, though.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I find it disgusting in a personal sense, and I don't like the idea of my daughters being involved in such stuff (the Ex has them in dance) -- if I had any say my kids wouldn't be involved in stuff that is that sexy until they are 18 and able to make an adult decision about it.

That said, while I strongly disagree with the choices made by the parents and the choreographer in routines like this, I also respect their right to make their own choices -- as near as I can tell no laws are being broken.

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Just have to wait ten more years... :(

In all seriousness I agree that the outfits are the big problem. The girls are talented dancers and the moves are provocative, but I expected little else.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well let's see here. My cousin has always been a ballerina & modem dance fanatic...so I was dragged to more dance performances than I'd like to recount. All of my nieces have always been dancers since they were able to understand what the teacher was saying. Then I started dating Jessica who was in to modern dance. So all throughout high school I was dragged to more performances. Once we got married, I got dragged to even more performances...except we had to start paying to see them.

Anyway...I saw nothing wrong with they're performance. They were actually quite good for as young as they are. At one point I actually laughed because part of their routine was pretty funny. The lead dancer got a little annoying at times.

As for provocative....those costumes weren't bad at all. I've seen MUCH worse than that on much younger girls. My niece Emma is one such example. I'm going out on a limb here, and guessing she was about 5 years old at the time (I know, I'm a horrible uncle), and her costume was so skimpy that I questioned my sister about it...to which she said something to the effect of, "Oh please...they're just kids. It's not like that have anything to show off anyway." I replied, "Well, I wouldn't let my kids wear that..." To which she replied, "You're an idiot." -.-

The girls in the video had about as much coverage as a typical bikini...and as for the groin thrusting, that seems to be pretty common among all dance styles (including cheerleading) throughout all ages. I *highly* doubt that these girls have any idea of what their movements might have been suggesting.

My final assessment: BFD!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.