1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4th of July

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

2. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The coolest thing about the July 4th celebration is that it demonstrates either a) America's secret time travel technology or b) America's ability to see the future which is now becoming public curse that Miss Cleo.

I mean, since it was an established holiday in 1870 that was some tremendous forethought to go ahead and create a holiday for us to celebrate killing Iraqi civilians in 2003 - 130+ years later.

I for one plan to sit back and have a beer, thinking about all the little children the US has been able to "inadvertently" kill this past year (we kill them on purpose actually but PR and stuff you know). Brings a little tear of joy to my eye really.

Yep, good ol July 4th, I love the American holidays that are about killing Iraqis. I also love Christmas which is about killing Vietnamese but I guess that's another thread. Good of Christ to go ahead and die and set that holiday up for us though.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    @Laches: lol! I was about to set these fools straight, but you excellent sarcasm does a great job! It sickens me that they take something like the 4th of July and turn it into a dispute over Iraq.

I plan on setting off a specially made firework this 4th of July to honor the men and women who fight to protect my country, those who have fallen in battle defending her, and those SPers who are true to the USA!

*Kitrax ends his patriotic rant* :rolling:

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well "fool", let's just say, I haven't had to pledge my allegiance to no foreigner. I see, that Ragusa's 4 July choice wasn't to smart and I regret it, because it is "stirring up the hornets nest".

Again, the one with "the guts" to "liberate" a "rogue state" and everyone who dares to disagree with that is an "Saddam-ass-kisser" is the ugliest and most stupid version of political correctness there is. It just yells for comment.

Obviously, there is no link between the 4th July and Iraq, but somehow this thread turned into "Iraq thread number 532" or "we against them" thread number 43 or "we're right, you're wrong" thread number 6 or "look there is a ocean and on the coasts of that ocean there are different cultures" thread number 2.

Edit: Lol, and the poor Brits are stuck between Scylla and Charybdis, they have to figure out which continent is the lesser evil, the one with the norwegian-chicks or the one with the latinas. Hard decision, being under the command from Brussels or from Washington.

[ July 01, 2003, 23:49: Message edited by: Yago ]

5. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'll follow Pac Man's lead here and just say: happy 4th of July !

Enjoy the party, don't turn on the evil TV, play, sing, be happy...

6. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hehe, you guys just can't mention the word America without sparking off an argument.

The Fourth of July is a time for Americans to celebrate their countries heritage and customs.
    The whole thing has nothing to do with Iraq or Bush or Civilian casualties. It is about the people of America. Let them celebrate their own independance without having a go.

And Americans, stop takign the bait.

So silly. :rolleyes:

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Every country has made its share of mistakes. And I challenge anyone to prove that America is any worse than the rest. Despite the shortcomings of recent events and those who are running the show, America has done a lot of things right. Because of a few bad turns, no reasonable person could deny that Americans have reason to be proud of what has been acomplished in the past and what will continue to be good about this country in the future.

I may not agree with everything that goes on, but I like celebrating the Fourth. In fact, I love nothing better than kicking back, drinking a beer, grilling some bugers with my family and listening to really good American music, like Gershwin, (I wish someone would start a thread about what he/she likes best about America and its culture, especially since there has been so much rancor and dischord). And I'll take this opportunity to wish all of you and your families a great and happy Fourth!

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  9. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

You know, I am so sick and tired of seeing the anti-American sentiment in this forum and some others as well, I could scream. Why must everything American be trashed here? What is it about you people (some of you) that you just can't leave things be, but instead dredge up old topics over and over again....and try to ruin a holiday in this country that most of us value very highly. If I didn't care about this site so much, I can tell you, I'd be LONG GONE. It seems to me that many of you are bent on driving Americans away from here---but then who would you have to bash? I guess you'd find another nationality---that seems to be your way.

Ragusa.... you should be ashamed of yourself. I know where you stand on the damn Iraq war and American's involvement -- we all do. But why do you have to go so far as to try to tarnish a holiday that we Americans treasure and look forward to all year long? It's quite pathetic, in my opinion, and really shows your colors. My opinion of you just dropped about 10 notches. :flaming:

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@Spellbound - Just remember, all the opinions of eachother stays within this forum. Only things about AoDA should be discussed in AoDA and shall not be taken seriously.

And Ragusa, I support you entirely.

11. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ok people, can no one see that history always repeats itself! The same thing happened to China, the Romans, the British, and just about every ancient super power who was almost doing similar stuff as America here. Little upstart gets big and starts *controlling* after a few centuries someone stops them because they got old and fat. I'm American and i stand as a neutrall here, on one side: it was either Saddam or us, we did the best we could to harm as few Iraqi innocents as possible, we were trying to take down a genocidal tyrant who would have done more damage too his country and the whole rest of the than America would ever get away with. The other side: yes we are overpowering and our government incorporates more bread and games than we even see. You think im a lil more for America than against government because of how much im leaving out, thats because there is so much to specify that i could never include it all. The sad thing is that Im only 14 and i see all this plain as day whereas so many adults like you and the whole world are blinded by their own biased opinions, because of how they were raised. Its really, really sad, i can't wait until we discover some alien race that wants to anihalate (?) the world so that the whole world will come together for the common good. Very cliche but hey... so here:

@Ragusa: Very heavy quoting Tom Paine, I usually only stay in the Icewind Dale forums and know nothing of your American hate, but i respect you opinion.

@Sir Belisarius: Very well put, and i feel the same way in that state of mind.

@Velve Zauviir: Yes that is pretty much BS but the military was trying their best

@Malaqai: Yea Jerry Springer is prettty much on the government payroll as far as i'm concerned!

@Pac man: :yot: If you want an Oktoberfest come to Georgia and we'll go to Helen for one heck of an Oktoberfest/Biker Week

@Sir Dargorn: Yea guys they are reaally trying to get a rise out of us, but its in our blood to take the bait before anyone else can take it.

But in the end, jeez ya'll, just go out and blow up some stuff in your back yard, eat some dogs, and have fun, Happy 4th!

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think Ragsta man is getting a bit too much heat here. As I understood his post it was to compliment the constitution that is celebrated on the 4th of July and at the same time remind people that it is still a constitution that needs struggling to achieve. Especially now since the events of the last year or so.
    Atleast that is how I perceive it. The US constitution is a great thing which deserve every recognition and celebration it can get. But why not take the chance when you celebrate it to think on it and what is stands for?

I would also say that many of you from over there get instantly defensive and angry at all the US bashnig going around. That is understandable but why not take a moment to stop and stand still, to think on things instead of lashnig out in heated anger right away? Why are everyone, as Spell says so full of acid when the US is brought up? Think on what people like Ragusa say. If you come to teh conclusion that his words are bull after giving it thougth and research then post so and tear his argument apart. Dont resort to angerful lashings out. If anything to keep your own dignity.

And posts like the one from Velve Zauvir is most often not worth responding to.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31

No connection to the 4. July

Or the Greeks, the Persians, the Aegyptians, the Celts, the Vandals, the Franks, the Goths, the Phoenicians (Dam, that were only Elephants), the Huns, the Mongols (former rulers of the largest Empire, a.k.a. horsmen from hell), the Turks, the Arabs, the Spanish/Austrians (oh, the bashing the Spanish usually get), the Swedes, the Aztecs, the Incas, the Venetians, the Langobards( :mad: :mad: ), the Dutch (ooh, Indonesia), the Belgians (Heart of Darkness), the Germans, the Japanese, the Swiss (Hitler's Banker, all gypsies and people with disabilities could have been saved, if the Swiss only had wanted), the Russians, the British (honour and glory in the boer-war).....morale of story, history is bloody.

I guess it was EJSmith who said something which really struck me and I've repeated him. The small countries (especially in Europe) are used to sit and **** on eachother. The internet on the other hand, has turned the world smaller. For Americans, it's a new experience having lots and lots of neighbours. My theory is, they are not used to it, like Aussies or Austrians are. Now they have to develop a thick skin. In the meantime, there's going to be fire after fire after fire after fire after fire after fire after fire....

14. dman18 Gems: 9/31

Read the above for an elaboration of my first post! wow!

15. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Velve -- Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have seen the same sentiments displayed quite frequently in our chat room as well.

To your comment about not taking it seriously -- on the contrary, I take it very seriously. For those of you in different countries, I wonder how you would feel if your country was slammed repeatedly, over and over ad nauseum? Would you sit idly by and not speak a word? I somehow doubt it. I stand by what I said.

16. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Listen, RagUSA!(and all you others) Spellbound is right, get your jealous heads out your asses :p

17. SoCo Gems: 9/31

I'm on Spellie's side. There is WAY to much going on. And it needs to stop, before I and others Stop playing nice. :D

18. Iago Gems: 24/31

I am feeling tempted to revive an old topic of mine. The only solution is Ghetto. To those complaining about here, do you know any place else, where you NOT find an " anti-American " sentiment ?

The only possibility I see, is making sites for certain nationalities only.

Ok, the other obvious solution would be, making some topic-restrictions in the Alley, nothing about certain countries, nothing about politics inside a certain country. Fine with me. That, I bet, would certainly cool down hot blood.

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    And with that SP should have an independence day of it's own! The day that SP broke away from the constant and relentless bashing of America!

BTW: when is SP's birthday? :rolling:

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Being critical of the War in Iraq is not America bashing. Attacking us because we celebrate the Fourth, and that somehow we should be ashamed to do so, is America bashing, IMO. I agree with Rally, I don't think that is what Ragusa intended, but his post seemed to spark some genuine dislike for America, simply for being America, rather than the poor judgement of its current leaders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.