1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4th edition - rumours and discussion and so on

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Beren, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

4 ed. has or hasn't removed features that duplicate bluff, diplomacy, intimidate or sense motive (from what I understand, there are no more Skills)?

Those skills, as much as some people hated that aspect of the game being mechanized, I think put a real focus on non-combat solutions to problems. In exalted campaigns, the focus was actually on over coming problems through the most peaceful solutions possible and diplomacy became far more important then your attack bonus. It was fun to have ways to guarantee that clever or charming characters could be just as effective as spell slingers and sword slingers without having to rely on the DM's mercy.

3 ed was the big Leibnizian world system of D+D.

2. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

ok, check out pg 78 of the players handbook fighter utility power "get over here" (were they playing to much mortal kombat?)
    hp's are a joke now. a fighter that starst with an 18 con & puts every point he can into con ends up at 26 con but you don't gain extra hp from per level from con. so at level 30 you have 215 hp. that level 30 red dragon has 1,390 plus other creatures helping him. HOLY CRAP!

@ ilmater's suffering, bluff, diplomacy & intimidate are still there

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, Martaug, indeed. They seriously upped monster hp. Up to the point an ordinary Mind Flayer has over 300. Fragile, super intelligent schemers, eh?

4. martaug Gems: 23/31

Yeah fragile like a block of granite! Have you looked at the standard lvl 18 mindflayer enctr? 1 L18 mindflayer(324hp), 1 L14 mindlfayer(107hp),2 L14 wartrolls(110hp each) & 3 L22 grimlock minions(1 hp each)

i just wish players had a way to gain 217 hp over 4 levels like mindflayers.(can we say unbalanced?)

And no multiclassing. you can take a feat to get a power from another class & then you can take class specific feats from that class but thats it.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, HP work a bit differently now. You get Healing Surges that refill a part of your HP. Fighters get more surges, non-fighters less. They can be triggered by a Second Wind once per encounter and through various other means (Healing spells, Warlord encouragements). You could say the are 'parceled'.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

This sounds lamer and lamer the more I hear about it. Seems like they actually managed to ruin d&d.

7. martaug Gems: 23/31

it is basically a cross between magic & d&d minis. they even recommend that you make an a "stat card" for each monster you are going to use in an encounter.

Don't plan on being too diverse either at 10th level you have 2 at-will powers, 3 per encounter powers, 3 daily powers & 3 daily utility powers. thats it. oh yeah those daily powers wizards get to choose from 5 spells at 1st level & 4 new spells at 5th level.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If there's a site with this information, it may be worth looking at to see if it's worth the money to buy the books or just stick with 3.5.

I know that my money is tight right now, and the situation may not improve any time soon...

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

The new alignment system is definitely beyond terrible. Why has Chaotic Good become Good and Lawful Evil become Evil? And for the love of god, why to they waste two pages telling me how I should build my character's personality? It is painfully obvious that they have no interest in recruiting actual RPers.

Why does a fireball now have an attack roll accompany it? And why is everything "half your level plus appropriate ability score"?!

Ohhh, so many things I so badly want to critique.

And oh my god, why is everyone so tall! Average human height 5'6"-6'2"? Halfling 3'10"-4'2"? What? Elf 5'4"-6'0"?

10. martaug Gems: 23/31

I take it you missed the biggest dumbing down move Ilmater's Suffering? Unless you use a feat that grants an extra attack everybody gets 1 attack per round. the level 5 daily spell fireball does 3d6+Int mod damage, thats it. It doesn't go up, ever. The level 29 daily spell meteor swarm 8d6+Int mod damage, a spell cast by a 29th level character! Oh & you only have 4 daily powers at 29th level. So much for wizards having a varied spellbook:(

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You can retrain powers, so lack of advancement is not a great problem. But if you liked your fireball, your frakked. At level 20, it will only be effective against minions (who only have 1 hp, regardless of level).

Spell versitality comes through rituals. They cost money, though.

12. martaug Gems: 23/31

Spell rituals are ok however the quickest take 10 minutes to cast & most are at least an hour. The part about daily powers that bothered me was that you can't even know more than 4 ! At 30th level you have 17 spells(2 at-will/4 per enc/4 daily/7 daily utility) of which 11 you only get to use once per day. As opposed to a 3.5 L20 wizard with no bonus spells who has 36 daily spells(& whose spells look like they are gonna do a crapload more damage).

haha, it's funny, i'm complaining about the magic classes getting nerfed and i don't even play them. :)

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I have been reading the phb abit today. It leaked online. I wasn`t going to buy it anyway, nor sue it, so I don`t consider it a theft. But damn. It doesn`t look like d&d at all. Looks like world of warcraft bigtime. Kind of reminds me of a board game also. Mix between magic the gathering, and world of warcraft maybe. Might be fun by itself, but its certainly not a roleplaying game.

14. martaug Gems: 23/31

yeah the only resemblance to old d&d is the Name of some of the classes & races.
    In a way i'm glad gygax didn't live to see this nonsense come out, IMHO, i feel he would have been disappointted

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    So... anything you don't intend to buy, you should be able to steal and use? It's sad enough that so many people are doing it, but please don't make it worse by telling us how you don't consider it stealing. It's no different from software piracy. I hope I don't need to emphasize that discussions about illegally obtaining copyrighted material are against our rules.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I see your point there Talauntain. But I do have about 30 rpg books, wich I have bought. For 3.5 ed, mind you. So I won`t be playing 4th ed in any case. I just got it to have a look at it.

And I am not in any way suggesting that others should do the same.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I believe you, but it doesn't really make any difference what you use it for, even if just to look at it (and I doubt you'll just look at it once and then delete it). If you're interested enough to want to look at a book, there are legitimate ways of doing that - either in bookstores or in libraries, or (in the case of D&D) checking the SRD to get the gist of the rules.

But if you want to look at the whole thing repeatedly and from the comfort of your home, you can hit the Amazon link on top of every page here and buy the books, or buy them somewhere else. Because no matter what you think about 4e, you probably wouldn't be happy if the books were pirated to the extent that WotC would pull the plug on D&D.

Anyway, back to the original topic...

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Interestingly, the people at Story Games (forum of hippie-indie-gamers, generally dislike D&D and most traditional systems) seem to like it. It is (apparently) a coherent gamist system that keeps its focus on killing things awesomely. Of course, those who were playing it for other reasons aren't going to like it.

Apparently the advice in the DMG is also really good.

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I will likely buy the books, but I just can't do it right now with the lack of income and increase in expenses. I like what I'm seeing so far. I still think that 3.5 was better and more complete, but if you look at 4th as a new game, it has the chance to be an interesting game to play.

20. martaug Gems: 23/31

There doesnt seem to be a consistant logic behind moster hps even in a race!
    Goblin Hexer (L3 leader con14 46hp) & Goblin Underboss (L4 leader con15 110hp) how the heck do you have 54 extra hp in just 1 level?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.