1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4th edition - rumours and discussion and so on

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Beren, Feb 8, 2008.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

yes but they added tieflings and a dragonborn race as base races. so now you can breath fire as a character & mages have per encounter powers so they never run out of magic. yeah thats smart(please note the sarcasm)

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sounds like world of warcraft hehe. (someone had to say it)

3. martaug Gems: 23/31

actually they have made it completely into the minatures rules. everything is based on 5' squares, movement, attacks, spells, etc & all attacks also seem to be standardised as in the minature rules ie. your fireball does 5pts damage to all enemies in the damage zone not 3d6 or your attack with a longsword does 4pts not 1d8+3 for str. sorry just way to dumbed down. simplification can be a good thing but it can also be taken too far.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Some of the races not in the PHB might be playable out of the Monster Manual, and that a second PHB is planned for next year with more classes.

But I'm not sure I like the sound of some of the things I'm hearing...

5. Tiana Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

easier for newbies, a little... overdone

I'm playing with a group of people next year who have never played D&D before. From what I've heard, 4e rules sound like they're going to make the introduction smoother and more enjoyable for people who might not be that committed.

On the other hand, I don't like being able to play as more powerful races... If you start off with all these supercoolspecial powers, what's the point of being a level one and getting excited about killing a single orc or finishing your first big quest?

At least with p&p you can ignore all the rules you don't like...

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

You can ignore the rules up to a point, but after awhile, you start to notice the flaws and such. Especially if you are the DM.

And why the heck are people cheering for the fact that they have added the Tiefling to the player`s handbook 4ed? You could play a tiefling in 3.5ed as well. it not like that bit is a huge achievment.

7. Gnarfflinger

There were rules in the third edition core books for numerous races as characters so that DM's could make villains from these races or officers, leaders and guards for the tribes. This also meant that players could playu these races too. I'm guessing that the rules are made clearer in Fourth...

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The other classes will be in the PHB II and III and IV and V and...

Am I the only one seeing a trend here?

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Nope. But the fun part will be all the guys cheering for phb 2-8. Extatic over having a couple of new races, and classes added to the game. All of wich, we allready have, in 2ed, and 3ed.... I was nosing about on the wizards-boards some time ago, and there were people there cheering for the fact that the Tiefling was in the phb and such.... Doesn`t take alot to make certain people happy. Wich is good for them, I suppose.

10. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No alignment? Does this mean that if I say I'm CN I'm not making much or any sense and that I'm talking gibberish?

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

There will be alignment, but in a different form. I don't know much about it, since I tend to ignore it most of the time.

@Rawgrim: The most ridiculous thing about the multiple PHB's is the obvious money grab behind it. You absolutely have to buy at least the second PHB if you want to play a class that was a staple in 3e or in 2e.

Sure, it's more honest this time, but it also betrays the single biggest flaw of 4e and D&D in general: the existance of myriads of base classes. The same thing could easily be achieved through a modular class design.

12. Gnarfflinger

I think they've scrapped the alignment system because it's been hard to work with. I used the alignment to work more with story lines rather than luring PC's into actions anyway. I don't see me missing the Alignment system very much...

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Removing the aligments from the game is a good thing actually. They just sort of forces you to play your character in a certain kind of way, anyway. I think its only d&d that has actually had aligments in the game anyway. If the aligments are removed, and you play a paladin, for example, you still have to follow the code of conduct thingy anyway, so there is really no problem in removing it, I suppose.

14. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Paladins still have to be LG. At least those following a LG ethos. You can play a paladin of an evil god, though.

15. Gnarfflinger

Actually they took out the alignment restriction on paladins from what I heard. Now the idea of a paladin will be reconfigured to work for any ethical philosophy...

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Stuff like this will mess up the campaign settings, I think. Same goes for what they did with the spellcasting system, and the removal of so many classes. Think of all the famous Bards, druids, barbarians, and such in the Forgotten Realms, for example. I suspect they have messed things up beyond repair with 4th ed.

17. Gnarfflinger

I did hear a WotC big wig suggest that players play 3.5 ed while learning 4th edition. I'll order the books, but If I have a group before I'm ready to run it, the game will be in 3.5.

18. martaug Gems: 23/31

well most of the famous characters will be dead as the new setting takes place 100+ years ahead of where it is now in 3.5. That, plus everyone that dies in the spellplague(i think that is what they are caling it) will take care of most of the well known characters.

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

So they are more or less destroying the forgotten realms then. Too bad, I allways liked that setting. Its a shame it gets turned into Forgotten World of Warcraft Realms. The sheer lameness of 4th ed is getting on my nerves actually.

20. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    No gnomes? Well, gnomes were just comic relief really (Jan Jansen, Tiax, Quayle, Oswald Fiddlebender, Gromnarr, etc), but they could've...I dunno...made them more interesting?

And the new dragonborn base race just sounds lame. I mean...seriously. It's lame. Lame.

Setting-wise, sounds like they're doing a reset. To be honest? I never liked Mystra anyway. Cyric was much more interesting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.