1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3E Skills and multiclassing

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ironbeard, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

This might be a somewhat naive thought, as I'm new to all this, but I was creating a 2nd level multiclass character and found something that annoyed me. I don't like the idea of having four times the number of normal skill points at first level, when combined with the Third edition system of multiclassing. It seems to me that with a level each of say, wizard and rogue, the first class taken would be highly dominant and the other would be almost crippled through lack of skills. As far as I could see from BG, the 2nd edition multiclassing seemed to create low-level characters with much more balance between the classes. I like the idea of being able to start as a 1st level multiclass as well. Would anyone with more experience care to comment on the issue?

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I don't see the problem. Wizard and rogues get more skill point, barbarians and fighters are better in smashing heads. A wizard of rogue might get out of a situation using skills, a barbarian would kick everybody's ass. I think it is fine that way, there is a difference but everybody has it's own qualities.

It is possible to start as a 1-st level multi-classed character. You would start with 1/2 level in both classes. It is called starting as an apprentace class. When you advance to level two, you would have 1-level in both your classes. It is described in the DM guide, as one of the variant rules.

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

My problem is that wizards and rogues rely on skills to be effective, and, unless I understand the rules wrongly, a wizard rogue would seem to have a strong bias towards one class at 2nd level. Starting as rogue and then taking wizard (say) would allow comfortable starting set of rogue skill points, exactly the same as any other first level rogue. Taking the next level as wizard would give the character only a quarter of the points a first level wizard gets to spend on spellcraft and the like, resulting in the rogue class being dominant despite having only one level of each class. Thanks for telling me about apprentice classes, I didn't know about them as I don't have the DMG. They sound like they might get around the problem of skills unbalance - I'll have to ask my DM about that.

[ September 12, 2002, 21:59: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

4. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Another point to consider is that, for a rogue or even a bard, skills are everything: that's what makes the class. For a wizard, the most important part is spellcasting - skills are just secondary to that ability. So it does make sense that the 1st level of rogue gets all the skills and the 2nd level of wizard gets fewer than a wizard character who didn't multiclass. On the other hand, if you took the wizard level first then the rogue level, you would really be cutting out the strength of the rogue class.

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If its really bothering you, you can buy some of those wizard skills as cross class skills from your surfeit of rogue starting skill points. After all, a rogue with wizard level Int is going to have 40+ skill points at 1st level.

Or, as suggested above, convince your DM to let you use the variant 'multiclass at first level' rules.

The rule is in place to reflect that most of your learning is done prior to starting out as an adventurer. Your character is a rogue, who then studied a bit of wizardry. Its unlikely he would be as knowledgable as someone who studied wizardry since childhood.

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Thanks guys, I ended up taking the first level as rogue and using cross-class skills to boost the wiz skills.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.