1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Benan, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yeah, they looked like that.

I just watched the movie, and I feel quite underwhelmed. Granted, the pictures are beautiful.

But the rest is even worse than Sin City. Lack of plot, lack of humor (though there are a few attempts at that), lack of acting. An overabundance of pathos and blood and testosterone. And political philosophy for first graders.

I don't blame the actors or the director. I blame Frank Miller for delivering such a trite story.

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Man.. It may well be a good movie, at least reviewers say so, but it sucks that it's in English.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

As opposed to what? Given the focus on action and violence I don't think too many people in the target audience would appreciate it if they had it in ancient Greek.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The movie was easily one of the most entertaining I've ever seen. A+

That said, it had some, ah, unfortunate undertones; racism, homophobia (and some homoeroticism, which was an odd source of tension), pro-war, all the bad Spartans (one exception) being hideously deformed, what Cuchlain alluded to, and so on.

But, y'know, I didn't care. That stuff just made me laugh (at the film, not with it) and enjoy the film more.

It was fecking cool.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

o.0 I failed to see the racism or homophobia, minus the one quip about Athenians being "boy-lovers".

Although, the homoeroticism whenever Xerxes did anything was quite amusing.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Racism; that scene with the Persian emmissary guy and the...oh. Spoiler.

Well, whatever; the scene where the black Persian emissary cackles, and then via the magic of CG becomes pure black, with only his eyes (and smile?) visible, laughing. I've heard jokes about 'what do you say when you get up at night and your TV is floating', but never thought I'd see something like that in a modern film. Plus all that stuff about the innumerable hordes of the east and so on. And the Persian army didn't have any white guys. Which, well, it should have; Ionian Greeks.

Homophobia: Xerxes is effeminate, the Spartans are Manly Men. As in, the Lord of All Evil is a metrosexual at best, fag at worst, while Our Heroes are Specimens of Virility. Of course, they're Specimens of Virility who walk around in leather speedos; hence the tension between homoeroticism and homophobia.

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Haven't seen the film, but this is amusing. I believe historically, the Spartan Army encouraged homosexual relationships amongst its ranks - As did most of Ancient Greece.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

This is merely an attempt to make it more "artsy" because in the comic, I mean, graphic novel :p , this is done exactly as it was shown. Much of the hype of this movie is in the fact that it is very much like the comic "come to life", check out the coffee table book (if you can call it that) "The Art of 300". I think you fellas are reading way too much into this movie :/

lol, no arguments from me on this one :D

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Saw the trailer, are those Spartans fighting against slavery? Hehe, the Spartans almost invented slavery. ;P
    Still going to see it though.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Could be, but I pretty much subscribe to the view R. Scott Bakker expresses here:

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That was actually one of the worst nude scenes I've seen in awhile. The love scene between Leonidas and Queen Gorgo was pretty hot. I think my wife enjoyed that scene more than I did. :D

As for the movie in general, both my wife and I thought it was awesome! It's been awhile since I've seen a good, gory, war movie. :thumb:

My one complaint would be that at some point, they should have showed Xerxes getting killed. Either when Leonidas threw the spear at him...or possibly after the credits, have a short scene showing the Spartans finishing off the last remaining Persians...followed by Xerxes getting a gut full of Dilios's spear. :evil: :rolling:

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The fact that Xerxes didn't die until something like 15 years after the war with the Greeks ended might have something to do with that although historical accuracy is hardly something that the film (or graphic novel) aspires to.

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hmm, thinking about the movie again, one of the coolest scenes was when the (WARNING SPOILER) Spartans were jumping around cheering in the rain as Poseidon (I assume) kicked the aquatic ass of the Persians. It was a sweet quick scene.

14. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Probably. I've read a lot about Ancient Greek history, and it seems as though homosexuality was the done thing back in those days, almost as though sex was sex, and that age or gender made no difference at all. I bet this era makes those christians cringe!

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    That was the greatest movie EVER made about anything.Have to go see it again!

Like a mixture of fast kungfu movie and Arnie-style arse kicking. So manly it chopped of my ding-dong. It was funny, too and sexy. There was no best part, my eyes kept melting during the whole movie. And the Prince of Persia type of metal...awesome.
    Am I overselling it? NO!

OK, well the evil Xerxes guy was just ridiculous, I admit.

16. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I loved it. Xerxes was cool I thought.

My favorite character was still the younger blonde guy who cuts of the royal emissaries arm.

17. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

uhm that was done much like the graphic novel is made, so its hardly racism, and the ancient greeks allways depicted the easterners as a barbarian horde, numberless and with nothing in commen with the greeks, so its more in tune with how the story has allways been told. the war vs persia, was allways an Us vs. Them war for the greeks.

as frank miller himslef says, he never tried to make a real story, but more a story of how the spartans might see it and tell it.

i meen herodotus accounts that in 490 with marathon the persians should have had 500.000 soldiers, which cant have been possible, but it still makes a better story.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] And I thought when Gladiator came out (which is thoroughly enjoyable) that the Romans were so ridiculously (mis-)characterised as the Americans of the year zero. Good old times. Then came Troy (oh dear) and Alexander (horrors). And now there is 300 (yikes). I spare myself the hassle of getting angry, and offer Gary Brecher's rant instead.

'Freedom' and 'Hoo-ah!', indeed :rolleyes:

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    How does that follow?

Not really. See the Ionians.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I believe that the distinction that Equester (and I, see my first post on this page) is trying to make is that on the part of the MOVIE itself, there is no intended racism. (Well, maybe Xerxes' extremely gay voice :rolleyes: ) The movie was one of these artsy-fartsy types that relied extremely heavily on effects to try and make "the comic come to life", hence they way they tried to panel the scenes on the film exactly as they were in the comic. Read the comic itself and check out "The Art of 300" for clarification.

That said, I'm not saying that there AREN'T any things appearing to be racial slurs in the movie. I mean, it's a movie. The good guys (in this case, the Spartans) are supposed to look good. As mentioned already, it's a person's (in this case, Frank Miller) point of view of how the battle would look from the Spartans' point of view. It's a hollywood film, not a historical analysis.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.