1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

30 foot waves in southern Asia

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Abomination, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, I'm not doing any complaining. Frankly I think the Thai authorities have handled the situation VERY well considering the extent of damage (4,500 people dead in Thailand last time I checked - damn that sounds morbid). Nobody can ever be prepared for events such as this - it's an earthquake which can't be predicted. However there are things known as 'tsunami breakers', they're called 'land mass' and 'distance' but sadly we can't choose where to put these resources.

If the Sweedes are complaining about no people being able to speak Sweedish then I'm certain they can survive with their 'euro-English' (since an incredible number of europeans can speak English) because all Thai medical staff can speak some English.
    The problems you mentioned cost far more money to solve than the Asia crisis and the money donated to relief efforts in Asia will go a LONG way - far further than extra police wages. Here the money will be used for immediate effect that will save lives - something as simple as food and water. The number of people dieing in the UK due to the problems you mentioned can't come close to the potential deaths in Asia will.

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Asia is not the UK's problem, the UK is the UK's problem. 50m my god ..

3. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

The total funds donated and pledged so far are approximately $500m USD. Casualties are now at 135,000.

Makes 9/11 look minor, doesn't it?

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah, how sweet it is to listen to the bells of nationalism again. Bugger everyone who doesnt happen to be born within arbitary lines put down on a piece of paper with the outlines of the world on.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not talking about nationalism here. I actually feel quite proud to know that the money will go to saving lifes and the fact that we are, well, the main contributer.

It's just vexing. The government doesn't have the money to improve OUR country, but it has the money to help other countries. Britain has some deep rooted problems that are getting worse by the day.

How would you feel, if say, your car was vandalized by a group of 13 year old hooligans that the government 'can't afford' to do anything about? Or, you break both your legs in a drivng accident and have to wait 9 months for hospital treatment because the government 'can't afford' more doctors and nurses. Yet, £50million (around $90 dollars) of th money YOU pay through being taxed to the hilt every month, doesn't go to fixing you and your family, but people thousands of miles away.

As I say. Vexing. Pleasing that the people are getting aid, but vexing that we can afford such money when our country is in decline.

How much money has the Swedish government given? Out of curiosity.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No idea, but I doubt that it is less than the UK comparatively.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Canada has pledged $40 million (Cdn)

My initial reaction at Barmy Army's comments was - 'what a selfish bastard he is'. But after thinking about it a bit, I think I understand what he is saying - he's not complaining about giving aid to the victims, but rather wondering where the aid money came from if no funds were available before to solve the UK's problems. But I think the answer is this - every country giving aid is probably in the same situation to some degree (I know Canada is), but in these kinds of circumstances, you find a way. Most countries have "rainy day" funds, or they will take funds from other programs, or they will simply increase borrowing. The point is, when disaster strikes, it's important to step up to the plate and help.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Splunge - that buys about four loaves of bread and two pats of butter, right? :D

Seriously, disasters such as this are of a magnitude far beyond a simple analysis of "what my country needs to deal with its hooligans today."

Think of it this way - the money donated is really going to make a huge difference right now and will have a direct impact on saving lives (medical care and clean food and water are essential to keep the death toll from doubling from secondary fallout due to disease, etc.)

The money that every nation needs to spend on its domestic issues is really there, the problem is that the country (take the UK if you want as an example) is quite a bit clueless on how to fix the problem. If all it took was throwing money at the problem to make it go away, the problem would have gone away long ago. Thus, Sarevok and Barmy Army are quite right in their desire to see their home-based problems fixed, but are, essentially, comparing apples to oranges here.

Even Israel, which sure as heck needs to keep all of its assets at home, immediately mobilized numerous crisis teams and sent them to various Southeast Asian areas to help. (Of course, that would lead to another thread on why not a single international news source bothered to cover that, as it would detract from the careful image those sources like to portray about Israel, but I stray . . .)

So, in summary, you guys are right to think that money should be spent at home, but also a little off-base in that this is a relative drop in the bucket and will benefit the UK in the long run. Gone are the days of isolated countries, as we are now a very interdependent world (if only Bush would learn that lesson -- there I go, straying again).

:)

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    It sounds like a lot of Scandanavians were in the area where the tsunami struck...And a lot of folks post from Scandanavia - My condolences to anyone that has felt the effect of this tragedy personally.

Not to discount Asia...A few people post from them too, or did at least. Ahm, you know what I mean...

10. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The US has finally upped its pledge, to $350m.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    AND a quart of milk, I'll have you know! :mad:

Seriously, dmc said it (as usual) much more succinctly than I did.

Basically, throwing money at a problem where you don't really know where that money is best spent is much different than the current tsunami situation, where money is exactly what is needed.

12. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Holy ****!

I'm glad you guys are alright :eek:

13. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Ermm....... well done?

Keeping in mind that Australia (with a population of 20 million) donated $1 billion, just from the government (without taking into account private and corporate donations).

You'd think the world's strongest economy could do a little bit more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.