1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 Rules

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by AraX7, Jul 21, 2004.

1. AraX7 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Could someone tell me of a place where I can find all the 3.5 rules? Is the rolling system in the character creation from Greyhawk: Temple of Elemental Evil from the 3.5 rules? I hope so because I like that alot better than point buy! Thanks :D

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Also, in the 3.5 PHB and DMG ;)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You can roll in 3E as well, it's just that games from BioWare use pointbuy and Interplay's IWD2 uses adapted pointbuy (meaning a fixed sum total to distribute rather than a real buying system).

Probably the majority of DMs prefer pointbuy as well, but rolling is still there.

Pointbuy isn't all that evil, actually. Using 3d6 for all six stats would produce an average result of sum total 63. Pointbuy typically results in 76 (if you don't go for scores bigger than 14 without racial adjustment). It gives less spectacular results, but it's more or less safe, meaning you don't get stuck with low scores you don't want.

Plus, when you roll stats and are free to take points off them and add to other stats, then you in fact only roll a sum total. Well, 63 is definitely better than 54 or 55 average result you would get from rolling 1d108 outright.

However, some pointbuy variants are ridiculous - like the one from Pool of Radiance. It feels like Peasant NPC Generator, actually. I can't really recall the one from ToEE, but rolling for hours again was way more attractive than that. Even with that 277 on my wizard's inventory screen :p

5. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

3.5 is a bloody waste of money... good thing you can get em online

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

3.5 isn't a waste of money. Its pretty good.

I prefer point buy myself

Though rolling is alot of fun too :p Like seeing who is going to get the boob character

7. GodRules44 Gems: 4/31

Abso-freakin-lutely it's a waste of money. I agree that the new content is for the better it's only about 10% of the book so if you have the 3ed handbook it's almost pointless to spend another 90 bucks on the three books again.

8. Paine Gems: 4/31

As a DM, I can understand the attractiveness of point buy systems to some, but I don't allow it in my games because I feel it leads to excessive munchkinism (incidentally, this is also why I stick with 2E, flaws and all).

Besides, I just think rolling dice is more fun. It's bad enough the beginning and end of most DnD sessions look like accountant's offices on April 14th. And it's always funny to watch people snap at each other for getting bad luck on someone's dice. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.