1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 edition feats question

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by LKD, Sep 26, 2012.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Does a feat exist that lets you ready a full round action? As it stands, Francis the Fighter (16th level) is guarding a door. He can ready an action to strike the next creature to walk through the door. When Harry the Hobgoblin walks through the door, Francis can smack him once (a standard action.) Yay Francis!

What I would like to see is Francis lay a full attack of 4 blows on poor Harry.

If such a feat does not exist, I propose to design it. Here goes:

HAIR TRIGGER READINESS

(General, Fighter)

Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Combat reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Concentration 5 ranks, Base Attack Bonus 8.

Benefit: You can ready a full attack action as a regular action. You may not move more than a 5 foot step in the round you do so. This feat allows you to unleash a full attack before an opponent gets to resolve his actions.

For example, Francis the Fighter (Level 16) sees Barry the Barbarian (Level 16) 75 feet away. They role initiative and Francis wins with a roll of 16 (Barry gets a 14, poor jerk). Francis readies a full attack for when Barry enters any 5 foot square adjacent to Francis. Barry, being a walking cliche, charges Francis (he's a half orc in a chain shirt, movement 40, 40x2=80, no problem reaching Francis). Barry figures Francis readied a standard action, one hit with his hand-and-a-half sword. No big deal. Instead, as Barry enters Francis' threatened square, Francis cuts loose with 4 well aimed strikes, and drops Barry like a sack of hammers before he can land a single strike with his greataxe.

What do you think? Entry requirements too easy? Too harsh? Feat too powerful?

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No such feat exists as far as I'm aware. It would be a very powerful feat.

If I were to do it I would probably allow up to 2 attacks to be readied maximum. Another instance of the feat taken allows up to 3. And so on. You have to high enough attacks per round to take the higher level versions of the feat.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sounds way overpowered. Wich is why, i guess, such a feat doesn`t excist.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds way overpowered to me. Imagine a Dwarven Defeneder with that feat. He would be the unmovable object when guarding a doorway, laying waste to anything that got close.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

It allows you to substitute a standard action (ready) for a full-round conditional one later... I think it is a bit much in terms of action economy.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, my idea was based on two feat trees that I have come across regarding similar abilities. The first is the Player's Handbook 2's Bounding Assault ---> Rapid Blitz tree, which allows you 2 to 3 extra attacks with Spring attack, each one dropping the BAB by 5 as per usual. Pretty powerful, though you don't get Rapid Blitz until 18th level.

The other is from Chet Eretz's material, and it is a Combat Reflexes tree, Improved Combat Reflexes --> Greater Combat Reflexes. Basically, when an opponent provokes an Attack of Opportunity, you get to hit them 2 or 3 times, each attack dropping by 5 again, assuming you have a sufficiently high Dexterity to burn off that many Attacks of Opportunity.

I figured, why not give a similar ability to someone who likes to Ready actions? Maybe I should make it so that it is a full round action, and in addition forbid even a 5 foot step? Or maybe force a Concentration check or a Wisdom check? Or maybe state that the move provokes an attack of opportunity and drops your Armor Class by 2? Or a combination of the above. Thoughts?

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Bounding assault/Rapid blitz help get a pseudo-pounce on charging, although there are some abilities like that anyway - and charging iirc is still a full-round action. The combat reflexes upgrade tree I haven't read, and I can't really comment on. Do you lose an AoO for every additional attack, or only for the first one?

If you readied a full-round action as a full-round action, I guess it could work. Just make sure the benefit you get is balanced against the price you pay via the limited number of feats you get - there should be a reason for not always using it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.