1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 ed. - Wizard vs Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by The Shaman, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Like I said: It depends on your spell selection. Which spells did you choose, by the way?

Oh, and I forgot: Lightning Bolt does not bounce of walls anymore, thank the gods. It affects multiple targets in it's line, but stops at the next thing harder than a living body. And leaves a scorch mark. :D

2. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I liked the bouncing lightning bolts, if planned corectlly they could do far more damage than a fireball....

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Spell selection:
    - cantrips: dancing lights, detect magic, ghost sounds, r. of frost, later read magic, prestidigitation, mending
    1st level: prismatic spray, magic armor, later choose from enlarge person, magic missile, obscuring mist, grease, ray of enfeeblement
    2nd level: eventually glitterdust, bull's strength, web, scorching ray, darkness, invisibility... we'll see

[ November 03, 2005, 01:03: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Prismatic Spray is NOT a first level spell :p You're probably thinking of Color Spray. Magic Armor is Mage Armor, I assume?

Otherwise, looks good.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Oops, heh, sorry... prismatic spray will come a biiiiit later, I suppose ;)

6. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

are you using only players handbook classes? If you are not consider the warlock and warmage classes. A warmage dosnt have to choose most of his spell book, gets armor, and various other benifits. warlock gain the ability to use their spell like abilities at will but get the most specialized list of all. Both are usefull and fun though a very different experience than the sorcerer.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Yes, I don't have many more resources; so I'm sticking to handbook classes and perhaps the DM guide when the time comes for a prestige class. Maybe eldritch knight, if I get a level of fighter in the mix... We'll see.

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Eldritch Knight is boorrinng. :)

Take Spellsword instead.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

With my strength score, it will be spelllightcrossbow at most :) What is this class about, I haven't heard of it?

Anyway, we had our introductory session today... Our DM was struggling like heck to make us into a party, and finally (after some 3 hours) succeeded. So at last it's me, a CN elven thief, CG h-elf ranger, TN human druid and CN dwarf barbarian. Anyone notice a trend? Aside from that, after a lot of hard meditation, we reached a conclusion that no matter how bad lawful stupid is, chaotic idiotic is waaaay worse. I suppose thinking about ways to murder my CG ranger companion isn't exactly a CG mindset, but so far I've been tempted a few times :)

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Ugh, yes. Just about the only way of getting a party of chaotics or a party of neutrals (let alone chaotic neutrals) to work together as an actual party, is forcing them to unite against a common enemy.

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Well, the CGs of us were ok with the idea of looking into some missing children stuff, but the CNs were hardly motivated even when a reward came up... I wonder how things will go later on, but hopefully killing various humanoid creatures will add to the camaraderie :)

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What about the Shadowdancer from the DMG? Admittedly, you lose your spellcasting, IIRC, but for the idea of a character who works between light and darkenss it would work.

There was a regular class in 2ed that was called the shadow mage (found in the 2ed book "Players option: Spells and Magic") He cast primarily Illusion and Necromancy spells, though I can't remember what spells were unavailable to him. You might be able to work something from that if you can track down the book.

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Or you could take the Shadow Adept PrC from the Players Guide to Faerun. Should be the same. :)

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Might want to watch out with the Shadow Adept PRC if the campaign takes place in Faerun. Mystra doesn't take too kindly to the Shadowweave ;)

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

No, I gather from the pantheon (the standard one from the 3.5 ed. Handbook) it's not on Faerun. No Mystra :) / :(

Besides, the character is a sorcerer, not mage. It's not a matter of what spells I choose to get involved with, but a matter of what comes "naturally" to me. Since a sorcerer has a natural affinity to magic, it makes sense for at least some of their spells to be of a certain type or related to a given theme - light and shadow, elementalism, charms etc.

[ December 07, 2005, 18:09: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It might be said earlier but what about the attribute points? with the int from the wizard it is possible to take many cross class skills to make a character that does more than cast spells. Like take care of traps.

with say six levels figthers you can also defend yourself an bit in the official campaign. Arcane Archer as third class makes it very offensive. My first NWN character, Merlanni, ended up whit 6 fig/20+ wiz/2 AA. (half elf). No big problems in HotU

In a party based game like IWD2 sorcerer is nice for bulk spellcasting and a wizard as backup.

17. raptor Gems: 16/31

Anything can make it through nwn with ease :) A buddy did a elf wizard, carrying around on a great axe, no armor. and continually forgot to cast spells in nearly every combat. and did just fine.

IWD2 is a cmputergame, and as such a sorcerer will nearly always be better than a wizard. becose you usually need few things save fireballs and magic missles to deal with most things in a Crpg.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well that depends on the setting. the OC, okay, but HoTu is harder. I play on core rules. And yes eventually you will get to the end. NWN is adapted so you can play with one player. IWD2 is party based so ofcourse you take a sorcerer. but in NWN a character must be more a jack of all trades.

A wizard just can do more due to the attribute point you get with INT. Thats is my point. Alone like in NWN my wizard had to unlock doors and disarm traps. a expensive cross class skill. High INT:more points. (Also some in heal for the health packs) Also Wizard is a good multiclass class. Pure powerful spellcasting is the domain of the sorcerer.

BTW it is not something I thougt up for myself but I agree with it. I posted because no one spoke about the attribute points.

In NWN2 you get a party of 4 I am told. So a sorcerer can a better choice. wtih a figter, cleric and thief to pick uo the other tasks.

19. raptor Gems: 16/31

Merlanni: I completelly agree that wizard have many cool advantages and much more allround. In a P&P game i would always pick a wizard above a sorcerer. I'm just pointing out that computer games usually gets more focused on powergaming, and as such, it is usually all about dumping out the most powerfull spells.

Also regarding NWN, technically your sorcerer could just pickup the pixie familiar to do all the lockpicking and trapfinding for you :-/ That game is so made so anoyingly "easy for everyone".

20. Merlanni

Media:
    True the familliar will do that. Never realised it until after playing HotU. But does it not cost one point of CON if it dies? Or was that 2e ed.

And yes NWN was do-able for everyone. I also think NWN2 will be easy so many can play it and tell about it(so it sells and new games are made). The mods will fix that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.