1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 and Traps

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Cap'n CJ, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    As people who play 3.5 will probably know, Rogues use a Search check to finds traps. Our DM is convinced that you have to check every 5ft square for traps, doing individual rolls for each. To me, this seems a bit, well... Crappy.

Anyway, the question is - can you take a roll, and use that for an entire room? or an entire corridor? I don't want to end up spending 20 minutes checking each room for traps.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Just make a roll for a general "section", and the larger that section is, the longer time the roll represents.

3. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

To letter of the PHB

Action: it takes a full round action to search 5-foot--by-5-foot area or a volume of goods 5 feet on a side.

Your DM is technically right about that part, but you should be able to "take 10" every time unless your are indanger, or failure can result in something unpleasant (like jumping across a chasm).

Since searching for traps/secret doors outside of combat is neither A. stressful or B. there is no negative result for failing a search test, you can take 10 on all of those search tests, unless your DM has some good reason as to why A or B is applicable to search.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You can take a 20 as well as a 10. If you did ask to take a 20, I'd think you should be able to search over a larger space, such as a room of up to 5x5.

You can always not search for traps. Make sure you send the monk or barbarian first. :)

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Used to send the fighter first, but now I go because I get +1 reflex and +1 AC vs. Traps :)

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Fighter has more hitpoints though. Besides, if it's a resetting trap, it's no good if you're the one off to the side bleeding to death, now is it? ;)

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I can take 'em ;) I dodged 2 fire traps on sunday, I was so proud :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.